View Full Version : 5455 $599 No Mail In Rebate No Tax No Shipping

bdegroodt
02-08-2003, 04:08 PM
I got a PriceGrabber alert this morning that Newegg has the 5455 down to $599 out the door as of this morning. I tried using the Pricegrabber link at the front to give the site some cash, but that price doesn't come up. Does PriceGrabber expose the Alert Price to merchants and give them the opportunity to give special prices "one off?"

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 05:03 PM
I got a PriceGrabber alert this morning that Newegg has the 5455 down to $599 out the door as of this morning.

The only downside that I see is that NewEgg doesn't allow you to return a product. You can exchange a defective one, but you can't get a refund.

Steve

bdegroodt
02-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I got a PriceGrabber alert this morning that Newegg has the 5455 down to $599 out the door as of this morning.

The only downside that I see is that NewEgg doesn't allow you to return a product. You can exchange a defective one, but you can't get a refund.

Steve

Amex purchase protection should take care of that shouldn't it?

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 05:43 PM

Amex purchase protection should take care of that shouldn't it?
I have no idea. If the unit is defective, I would hope that NewEgg would exchange it. However, if you get the 5450 and decide you don't want it (for whatever reason), NewEgg won't give you refund. How would American Express help in that case?

Steve

bdegroodt
02-08-2003, 05:53 PM
I have no idea. If the unit is defective, I would hope that NewEgg would exchange it. However, if you get the 5450 and decide you don't want it (for whatever reason), NewEgg won't give you refund. How would American Express help in that case?

Steve

No. I don't think that Amex would take care of a "I don't like it" claim. My thought was more along price protection and defects.

Why on Earth would one NOT want a 5455? Tell me so I can help myself! :P

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Why on Earth would one NOT want a 5455? Tell me so I can help myself! :P
Haven't you been following the other threads where this was dicussed? :-) The worst, in my opinion, would be shorter battery life (beyond what you'd expect) and much lower audio than previous iPAQs.

Somebody who ordered a 5455 without having the benefit of the collective experience of Pocket PC Thoughts (or Pocket PC Passion, etc.) might be disappointed, especially if they were upgrading from a 3970.

Steve

bdegroodt
02-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Haven't you been following the other threads where this was dicussed? :-) The worst, in my opinion, would be shorter battery life (beyond what you'd expect) and much lower audio than previous iPAQs.

Yeah. I've seen those posts, but honestly they seem like nit-picks. I think the 5455 is the best advance in the series so far. Especially integrated BT/WiFi and removable batteries.

I thought it was a bit overpriced at $699, but $599 seems fair. I wonder if the price reductions from so many vendors is any indication of an soon to be released 56xx...

Jason Dunn
02-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I got a PriceGrabber alert this morning that Newegg has the 5455 down to $599 out the door as of this morning. I tried using the Pricegrabber link at the front to give the site some cash, but that price doesn't come up. Does PriceGrabber expose the Alert Price to merchants and give them the opportunity to give special prices "one off?"

Strange - I'll ask my Pricegrabber rep why NewEgg isn't listed in there. If I can't offer you the best prices that Pricegrabber has to offer, what's the point? :?

Jason Dunn
02-08-2003, 09:40 PM

Strange - I'll ask my Pricegrabber rep why NewEgg isn't listed in there. If I can't offer you the best prices that Pricegrabber has to offer, what's the point? :?

I think I figured out why - I was searching for a 5455 like you said, and got no results, but once I tried a 5450, it showed up. :wink: