View Full Version : Funny sounds from Desktop after installing Linksys Router.

VanHlebar
02-08-2003, 02:34 PM
This is more of a desktop question, but I hope someone can help me out. One of my kids was on the computer last night playing a game and they had turned up the volume. (I usually keep it turned down so I never heard this before.)

About every 30 seconds or so I get this sound. I went into the sounds in control panel to see what sound it was and it is actually two seperate sounds. The sound of a Connection attempt and then a dissconnect. (I don't think those are the exact names, I am at work and don't remember the exact names.)

I have never heard these before and at the time no ppc was connected to the desktop either via cradle or Wifi. I have tried rebooting the machine and I still get the same sound. I have switched users on the machine and every users get the same sounds. BTW, I am running WinXP Pro on the desktop.

Anyone have any ideas of what the sounds could be from and what I can do to stop them?

Thanks,
-Eric

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 04:15 PM
About every 30 seconds or so I get this sound. I went into the sounds in control panel to see what sound it was and it is actually two seperate sounds. The sound of a Connection attempt and then a dissconnect. (I don't think those are the exact names, I am at work and don't remember the exact names.)

I have never heard these before and at the time no ppc was connected to the desktop either via cradle or Wifi. I have tried rebooting the machine and I still get the same sound. I have switched users on the machine and every users get the same sounds. BTW, I am running WinXP Pro on the desktop.

Exactly what kind of connection is being attempted? If it's an ActiveSync connection, could somebody near you be trying to synchronize over WiFi?

If you're sure nobody is really trying to connect to your computer, you could just turn the sounds off in the control panel.

Steve

VanHlebar
02-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Exactly what kind of connection is being attempted? If it's an ActiveSync connection, could somebody near you be trying to synchronize over WiFi?

I don't know off hand what type of connection is being attmepted. Are there any logs of any kind that are created that I can look through to see what type of connection is being attempted?

If you're sure nobody is really trying to connect to your computer, you could just turn the sounds off in the control panel.

Steve

Yes I know, but it is a little be disturbing that I am getting these sounds. I would prefer to fix whatever is causing the sounds then just make them go away. Kind of like actually fixing that rattle in your car engine as opposed to just turning up the radio so you can't hear it anymore. :)

Thanks for the help though,
-Eric

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 05:19 PM

I don't know off hand what type of connection is being attmepted. Are there any logs of any kind that are created that I can look through to see what type of connection is being attempted?

OK, once again, I'm confused. (A lot of posts have been doing that to me lately. :lol:)

You said:

I went into the sounds in control panel to see what sound it was and it is actually two seperate sounds. The sound of a Connection attempt and then a dissconnect. (I don't think those are the exact names, I am at work and don't remember the exact names.)

What are the exact names and what section of the Sounds list are they in? That should help identify the type of connection. My Sounds control has the following items that could be called "connections": Infrared, ActiveSync, MSN Messenger and NetMeeting.

That gives me an idea! You said nobody was connecting by WiFi, but how about IR?

Steve

VanHlebar
02-08-2003, 05:35 PM
What are the exact names and what section of the Sounds list are they in? That should help identify the type of connection. My Sounds control has the following items that could be called "connections": Infrared, ActiveSync, MSN Messenger and NetMeeting.

That gives me an idea! You said nobody was connecting by WiFi, but how about IR?

Steve

I will have to check when I get back home. I won't be home until after 4pm but I will look then. Nobody should have been connection via IR but I guess that it was possible. We do have two PPC in the house, my Dell and my fiances HP568. I think I remember turning off the IR auto sync on both of them but I will check. Well I just looked at mine and it was not unchecked. ::sigh::

Maybe that was the problem, but I doubt it. I never heard it before. Thanks again for the help and I will repost with the exact names of the sounds that are being triggered later this evening.

-Eric

VanHlebar
02-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Ok so the exact sounds that are being triggered are the Device Connect and Device disconnect sounds. I have verified that both my Axim and my fiance's HP are not attempting to connect via Wifi or IR. Neither unit is in the cradle, but every minute or so I get these sounds.

Are there any logs that I can view to see any activity on my network?

Thanks,
-Eric

Dave Beauvais
02-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Well, theoretically, the device connect/disconnect sounds should only play if you've actually attached a device directly to the PC. At least by default, those sounds are not used for any type of network connection. However, since they are just standard wave files, they can be associated with any event. Check all the events listed and see if either of those sounds are associated with anything else.

What USB devices do you have? I have a USB printer that triggers the connect/disconnect sound when I turn it on/off, respectively. A USB-enabled MP3 player could do this if it switches in and out of power save mode. Plugging in my Pocket PCs when the USB cable is connected does the same, even if I don't have USB syncing turned on; it's still a device connection to the PC. Removable storage devices such as USB memory "keys," flash card readers, etc. also trigger this event when attached or detached from the system.

Just tossing out ideas to see if it helps you track the problem down. Personally, I wouldn't just turn the sounds off; I'd work to determine why they are happening in the first place.

--Dave

VanHlebar
02-09-2003, 02:42 AM
What USB devices do you have? I have a USB printer that triggers the connect/disconnect sound when I turn it on/off, respectively. A USB-enabled MP3 player could do this if it switches in and out of power save mode. Plugging in my Pocket PCs when the USB cable is connected does the same, even if I don't have USB syncing turned on; it's still a device connection to the PC. Removable storage devices such as USB memory "keys," flash card readers, etc. also trigger this event when attached or detached from the system.
--Dave

Dave,

That was the problem. I had a USB flash card reader that was disconnected. Thanks for the help!

-Eric