View Full Version : ....and the question continues

Bloop
02-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Well I finally decided to pick the HP1910 over the Dell Axim X5 (400mHz), because I didn’t want such a big PDA (main reason I didn’t like my 3765 was because of its size) , also I didn’t think I would need the CF slot since I don’t plan on getting an 80211. But now dell has decided that they are going to price theirs at $314 which is only $14 more then the 1910, and I feel kind of stupid not paying $14 to get the one with more power.

Now I need some really good reasons why I should:

pick the 1910 over the Dell
or
why I should get the Dell over the 1910
or
just wait for the HP2200 or a new Dell

Kati Compton
02-08-2003, 12:48 AM
pick the 1910 over the Dell
or
why I should get the Dell over the 1910
or
just wait for the HP2200 or a new Dell

I think you're at the point where you have to make that decision for yourself. :)

These are what I see as being the main issues:

1910:
- Much smaller

Dell:
- If the "Advanced" you get much more memory (with handy 20-some meg "Built-in Storage")
- Much better battery life
- CF slot

It's all about what you want to do with it, and what's important. The Dell definitely has more features. But if the size means you're not going to carry it around as much, you're not getting the full benefit of those features. Get whichever you think will help you USE it more, which is a decision depending on both size and features.

EDIT - Note that it's always dangerous to wait for the next PPC (or anything tech-related) - if you keep doing that, you never get one. Of course, it could suck to get one and then one you like better comes out the next day, but that's how technology goes.

WyattEarp
02-08-2003, 01:53 AM
I can't tell you what to buy but I would suggest the Dell. 32MB of RAM gets filled quite fast and slows the system down a lot. The more memory the better. I don't know what you will use it for but you can never have enough memory.

PPCdev
02-08-2003, 03:42 AM
The 1910 is one *SEXY* little PPC! Man, its sweet! Small and great screen, however....

For the same money, the Dell has a 300mhz compared to the 200mhz of the 1910, plus the Dell acceptes *both* CF and SD card at one time. I have a Maestro that does the same, and Ill tell ya, its *very* nice to be able to do that!!! Opens a lot of options.

I know the Dell is going to be bigger, Id guess similar in size/weight to my Maestro, but gosh man, its not *that* big! HAHA! Still fits in my jacket pocket the same as a 1910 would, or in my fanny pack...

I think the Dell would be your best buy, bang for the buck and feature rich machine even if its not as thin and "sexy" as the 1910.

Good luck!
Andrew

vincentsiaw
02-08-2003, 07:42 AM
if i were you, i will choose the 1910, i like the slim sexy design. Basically if you are not going to do application that really need CPU power, then the 1910 will serve you well.

PetiteFlower
02-08-2003, 10:18 PM
I think the short battery life on the 1910 would annoy me. I have yet to be able to get my Axim under 80% battery, even after keeping it on for hours. That and having the backup battery(just in case!) is totally worth it for me.

CodeSurge
02-08-2003, 10:52 PM
With the standard SD (not SDIO) slot on the h1910, go with the Axim if you need expandability of any sort.

PPCdev
02-09-2003, 01:56 AM
Someone needs to expand on the SD Vs. SDIO issue, I of the theory that RAM is RAM. My SD card in my Maestro is 64megs, and Im almost certian that a 64meg SDIO card would hold the same amount of data, and execute the same applications. I may be wrong somewhere, looking at it from the elementary view, as Ive yet to have a file or executable not be read or run from my SD card. I dont understand the advantage of insisting on SDIO support?

ledpocket
02-09-2003, 02:48 AM
SDIO = input/ouput (like an SD wifi card, sd Bluetooth, sd Camera)

To the topic,

Buy the Axim and plan on keeping it for 4 to 8 months, maybe a year. By that time the next generation of PPC's should have hit the shelves, and all of the early adopters can work the kinks out, and let us all know which is the best for a given purpose.

Hopefully PPC2003 will be the o/s by then, and maybe even a EUU will be released.

At $300 or so for what you get the Axim is a cheap hold-me-over (in my opinion).

At least this is my plan (should be receiving my axim this week).

mirkazemisaman
02-09-2003, 02:55 AM
Go with the Axim, I just got mine a few days back. A couple of points:

Batery life is important (i am yet to run it below %70).

Expandability is even more important... (to me at least).

PPCdev
02-10-2003, 02:35 AM
LedPocket,
Roger that last transmission... I take it SDIO allows goodies like GPS, PCcard slot adapters and camers as does the CF slots now have. Not just RAM, but a whole lot more! :-)

It all makes more sense now, I would be more inclined to go SDIO but only if I expected to use some of those accessories that require it.

Thanks for the education!