View Full Version : Dell Axim backlight fails at power-on

QYV
02-07-2003, 11:27 PM
So my trusty iPAQ 3630 that has been my daily companion for two years has finally been traded for a nice shiny new Dell Axim X5 (400). I'm fairly familiar with Pocket PC FAQs in general, and I've been trying to stay abreast of Axim-related issues for the past month or two, but this problem is one that's genuinely stumped me.

My Axim's backlight clearly functions, by which I mean it works properly when it's cradled, and under certain circumstances I can get it to come on properly when it's not in the cradle. However, it does not come on when I press the Power button (or hardware buttons). No matter what Brightness setting it is at when I turn it off, the next time I turn the device on, the backlight is completely off.

At first I thought perhaps I was holding the Power button down too long, since I know this toggles the backlight on and off. However, as I experimented with the slightest of taps to turn the device on, the backlight still failed to come on. I can press and hold the Power button for about two-three seconds and toggle the backlight on, but a tap on the button to turn the device off apparently resets the backlight again, because when I turn the device on, still no backlight.

The weird thing is that the Brightness settings show correctly even though the backlight is not on. And, if I move the Brightness slider either direction, the backlight immediately turns on at that setting. But no matter what I do, the backlight itself still fails to turn on when I press the Power button.

Any ideas from fellow Axim users? I'm really hoping this is not by design…

Thanks!

Roosterman
02-08-2003, 04:06 AM
Sorry to hear you're having this problem. It is a new one to me, not heard anyone complain about this one. Have you tried the Dell forums to see if others are experiencing this? Try going here http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dellpda . Sounds like you may have a defective unit and need a replacement.

Sslixtis
02-08-2003, 07:58 AM
This one is easy, had me at first too! You need to go to Start > Settings > Brightness > Battery Power and check Light the display if a button is pressed or the screen is tapped. I know this sounds like it does something completely different than it does, all this actually does is enable the auto-on of the backlight when you power on your device with either the power button or one of the hardware buttons. :lol:

Cheers!

QYV
02-08-2003, 08:47 AM
You are exactly right! I figured this out after much trial and error this afternoon, but I appreciate the help regardless. How funny that we'd both get caught by that - it is counterintuitive.

Your username sounds familiar - I think you posted a while back with good hands-on info about the Axim as a game machine (w/Pocket NES)? If so, that's twice you've been of assistance - much obliged!