View Full Version : Types of memory in PPC2002

sabesh
02-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Can someone explain to me the different types of memory?:

Built in storage
Storage
Program

Which data will I lose if my battery runs out or if I do a hard reset?

Also, how have you allocated your memory?

Thanks,

Sabesh.

IronGeek
02-07-2003, 08:48 PM
While your at it, I wold love to know how to put stuff in the unused portion of the Rom.

Dave Beauvais
02-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Built in storage: This is an area of unused flash ROM that can be written to by the end user. Data in this type of memory will survive a hard reset or complete failure of the main and backup batteries. Flash ROM does not require power in order to retain its contents. In all Pocket PCs that have this type of memory available, it shows up in File Explorer as a storage card. On most iPAQs, this folder is called "iPAQ File Store." On my old Casio E-200, it was called "Built-in Storage." You copy files to this memory the same was you copy to any storage card or folder.

The other two types of memory you mention are really one chunk of memory that's divided into two parts. The size of these parts can be adjusted anytime you want to allocate more space to either program or storage RAM. When you see an advertisement for a Pocket PC and see that is has "64 MB RAM" this is type of memory the ad is referring to. Unlike Flash ROM, RAM contents are purged during a hard reset and are lost if your main and backup power sources fail.

Storage: If you were to relate the RAM in your Pocket PC to a desktop PC, Storage memory would be the hard drive. It's where data and user-installed applications reside. When you sync your Pocket PC with a desktop PC, this is where your contacts, calendar, and other data are stored. This data would be lost during a hard reset or total loss of power. Data is retained during a soft reset, which is essentially just rebooting your Pocket PC.

Program: In PC terms, this is the same as the system RAM in your PC. It is the memory in which programs are executed.

Personally, I have 32 MB of RAM allocated to system memory and the remainder for storage.

--Dave

Kati Compton
02-08-2003, 12:58 AM
To get slightly more complex, though, "Storage" is actually part of RAM. It's like you're simulating a hard disk in RAM. This means that if you hard reset, anything in "Storage" is gone.

But since "Built-In Storage" is stored in ROM, that stuff stays there after a hard reset.

sabesh
02-09-2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Sabesh