View Full Version : Creating shortcuts to Settings/System

sabesh
02-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Is there a way to create shortcuts to items in Settings/ System? I basically want to create a shortcut to the "wireless network" option in the Settings/system screen, as I change wireless networks often.

Thanks,

Sabesh.

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Is there a way to create shortcuts to items in Settings/ System? I basically want to create a shortcut to the "wireless network" option in the Settings/system screen, as I change wireless networks often.

A few settings applets on my iPAQ 3870 are programs, so I can easily create shortcuts to them using Copy and Paste Shortcut. However, for the most part, there's no simple way to create shortcuts to settings applets directly on your Pocket PC.

That said, I just did a Google search on "Pocket PC" shortcut settings, and saw some articles from Microsoft about creating shortcuts, right at the top of the search results. Clicking on the "More results from www.microsoft.com" link showed me additional results about creating shortcuts, including a link to an article about creating shortcuts to settings applets (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppc2k/html/ppc_tcuts2.asp).

Did you try Google?

If you follow what the article says, you can create shortcuts to settings applets. For example, here is a shortcut to the Memory applet:

20#ctlpnl cplmain.cpl,4

and here is one to the Running Programs tab of the Memory applet:

22#ctlpnl cplmain.cpl,4,2

I tried to create these directly on my Pocket PC, but shortcuts created using either Notes or Word didn't work properly.

Finally, there are also some programs that make getting to settings applets easier. On my iPAQ 3870, iTask allows me to access them fairly easily.

Steve

P.S. Why would there be a Wireless Network applet on the Dell? It doesn't have integrated WiFi capability.

sabesh
02-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Pony99CA,

Thanks for your very detailed reply and effort. I shall look into the suggestions and post my results.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

TheBacklash
02-08-2003, 08:14 AM
If you have Resco File explorer, it's easy.

you just do a copy then paste shortcut where you want it to be.

Out of the box you have to do it the long way...

sabesh
02-08-2003, 09:22 AM
TheBacklash,

I have Resco Explorer 2003. How exactly do you do this? Where can I find Settings/ System items with Resco?

Thanks,

Sabesh.

TheBacklash
02-09-2003, 02:15 AM
TheBacklash,

I have Resco Explorer 2003. How exactly do you do this? Where can I find Settings/ System items with Resco?

Thanks,

Sabesh.

From the user's manual.

How to Copy, Move and Create shortcut

- select the source files or folders
- display the popup menu by tapping and holding the stylus on these files
and select Copy or Cut
- select the destination folder
- display the popup menu on this folder and choose Paste or Paste
shortcut

Pony99CA
02-09-2003, 04:22 AM
From the user's manual.

How to Copy, Move and Create shortcut

- select the source files or folders
- display the popup menu by tapping and holding the stylus on these files
and select Copy or Cut
- select the destination folder
- display the popup menu on this folder and choose Paste or Paste
shortcut
Sabesh wants to copy items in the Settings folder (Start Menu/Settings). How do you get to that in Resco File Explorer to select the source?

Steve