View Full Version : Dell Axim USB Cradle Modifications?

etalianstallion
02-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to modify the Dell USB cradle so that it is powered via the USB port instead of having to plug the power adapter into the cradle. I've seen somewhere that this can be done with the iPAQ cradles so maybe someone has done the same for the Dell USB cradle. Unfortunately I am just not that tech savvy to do this myself without doing some major damage...

here's the link to the iPAQ mod in case you are wondering what da heck I am talking about...

http://ecece.com/info/ipaqcradlemod/ipaqcradlemod.html

CharlesWilcox
06-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Did you ever figure out how to do this??

etalianstallion
06-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Nope, didn't get any information on it. Had I tried to figure this out myself, I would be sitting here with a dead cradle.

CharlesWilcox
06-14-2003, 03:59 AM
It does look pretty daunting, doesn't it? Hey 28 bucks on ebay. I might order a new one and give it a try.

I don't need it to sync. I just want a power source for a car mount that I'm fabricating. I would rather get the charge from the serial port than the adapter plug-in for visual reasons. I'll post back if I come up with anything.

Charles

maximus
06-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Hmm. I think it is just a matter of finding which pin on the cradle suppose to be the VDC, and simply connect pin 1 of USB to that pin, right ?

arglebargle
06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
A potential problem might be the fact that the axim voltage input is 5.4 volts (or thereabouts) while the usb voltage puts out 5.0.

I have had experience with the axim charge and sync cables where it will only charge if the battery is above 80 percent full already. If not, the axim actually discharges. The gomadic site actually mentions this concerning their cables now.

ArgleBargle