View Full Version : Please help with ROM upgrade

pocketpreacher
02-06-2003, 08:51 PM
The update requires you to have T-MObile ROM version 3.08. It is not enough to have a ROM version 3.08. The updater has a check that will detect if the ROM is from another carrier, or an unbranded MS ROM. I have an unbraded device direct from MS. I cannot upgrade, I get an error message when I try. Has anyone discovered a walk around to this dilemma? Thank You!

sprint
02-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Is your phone locked ?

As I know , You can do that on any carrier , just the phone

has to be unlocked .

Janak Parekh
02-17-2003, 01:30 AM
pocketpreacher, you might have to send that device back to Microsoft to have them upgrade it. That's the experience one of my acquaintances encountered.

--janak

pocketpreacher
02-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Thank you, Janak, that's definately the best solution. They were giving them away at a conference last year for free, and my friend sold it to me for $100. Now I know why he wanted to get rid of it, as anything Microsoft touches usually doesn't work properly.

Paragon
02-20-2003, 06:26 PM
If you have a freind with an XDA and at least a 32mb SD card you can copy, and update the ROM using the bootloader.

If you are interested in kowing how to do this reply to this post and I will post the instructions on to how it's done.

Dave

Janak Parekh
02-20-2003, 06:40 PM
If you have a freind with an XDA and at least a 32mb SD card you can copy, and update the ROM using the bootloader.
Ahhh... so HTC did put a bootloader on this unit? Cool. I'm surprised Dale hasn't put up instructions already. :D

--janak

Paragon
02-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Ahhh... so HTC did put a bootloader on this unit? Cool. I'm surprised Dale hasn't put up instructions already. :D

--janak

I'm on my way out the door. I will post the how to when I get back.....a couple of hours.

Dave

Paragon
02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
How to flash a new ROM to the XDA using the Wallaby bootloader.

First you need at least a 32mb SD card. Any contents on the card will be lost in the process. Part of the ROM flash process is a hard reset, so all data will be lost. I would not recommend doing a restore after, it can cause a few issues. There are some work arounds but it's best to just rebuild. I would strongly suggest doing a backup on the device you are copying from.....Murphy is always present. :-)

Copying the ROM to an SD card:

With the SD card in a device with the correct ROM, and with the device on, hold the power button down, and reset the device. This launches the Wallaby bootloader. Now push the contacts botton. This brings up the "flash tools" screen select "CE ROM to SD" and press the action button (center push on the Dpad). This will copy the ROM to the SD card. When done Remove the card and do a soft reset. The CE ROM also includes the radio ROM. This process has no ill effects on the device. It will be as it was before, when you are done.

Flashing the new ROM:

Place the SD card with the ROM image in the device you wish to flash, ( if you get a message to reformat the SD card say NO)and bring up the Wallaby bootlooder as you did before. This time it will detect the card and ask if you wish to flash the ROM. Again do a center push on the Dpad to begin the process. It will take several minutes and at the end you will have to do a hard rest. Remove the card before you do the hard reset. You should now be good to go.

Dave

Janak Parekh
02-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the tip Dave. It seems they've improved the bootloader a lot since the iPaq "Macaw" days. :)

--janak

Paragon
02-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Yeah, it's very slick and easy. I went through the process again just before I posted to be sure I had it right, and I was reminded how easy it was.
Dave

pocketpreacher
02-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Thank you very much Paragon - He doesn't have a(n) XDA, but hopefully he'll get one sent to him to review soon so I can flash the ROM. BTW, this might be a dumb question (I'm new to this stuff) but can I place the new updated ROM (I have it on my hard drive at work) on an SD card using a card reader/writer and than flash it to the new device? Thanks for all of your help.

--If I can shoot rabbit, than I can shoot fascists--

Paragon
02-20-2003, 11:35 PM
can I place the new updated ROM (I have it on my hard drive at work) on an SD card using a card reader/writer and than flash it to the new device? Thanks for all of your help.

I'm pretty sure that won't work. Unfortunately my brain cells won't allow me to give you an answer why. If they should decide to cooperate I will let you know. :)

Dave

pocketpreacher
02-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I figured it probably wouldn't work, that would be WAY too easy. Anyway, I appreciate your assistance and I'll wait until I find someone with an XDA so they can flash me (I hope it's a girl!). Not really a big deal, I don't use media player (for the upgrade) but I think some dropped connections could be eliminated with the new ROM. 8)

Paragon
02-21-2003, 06:23 PM
I'll wait until I find someone with an XDA so they can flash me (I hope it's a girl!). 8)

:D :D

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that won't work. Unfortunately my brain cells won't allow me to give you an answer why. If they should decide to cooperate I will let you know. :)
My guess, based on iPaq experience, is that the HTC bootloader will write it out in a non-FAT format (i.e., just use the first 32M of the card and do a raw dump) and as such you can't transfer it easily via a PC.

--janak

tzed9
02-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Dood!

This will apply to my Jornada 928? At least, the theory?

I have no infomation on where to source an update, allthough the procedure described above seems applicable, will things like the button pushes carry over to the '928?

Any input appreciated.

TZed9

Paragon
02-24-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't know about the 928, but the 560 series did NOT have a bootloader application that I'm aware of. Given that I would be surprised to find one in the 928.

Dave