View Full Version : Toshiba e335 doesn't turn on anymore ?!?!?!

rlvdijk
02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi everybody,

Recently (2 monhts ago) I bought a Toshiba e335. A friend also bought one. Yesterday evening my e335 didn't turn on anymore; even pressing the 'soft-reset' button like a monkey, nothing happened.

This morning my friend phoned me saying that his Toshiba also locked up and he couldn't start it anymore !?!??!!? Is this normal ? What could be wrong ? We only use the agenda and some contacts..... (no special software)

Any ideas ? (we haven't tried the hard-reset yet)

Greetings,

Rutger and Robin

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Does the power light do anything when you plug in the power adapter?

spursdude
02-07-2003, 01:46 AM
Yeah, try plugging in and turning on...

Otherwise I can't think of much else other than a hard reset.

taxus
02-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Same thing happened to my e310 on thursday night. A minute it was working perfectly, the next it just would not turn on.

I tried soft reset: nope. I tried hard reset: nope. Battery level was at 85%.

I left it in the cradle for the night. In the morning I tried again. On/off button didn't work. But soft reset woke it up. (Everything flushed, of course.)

It's still working but I don't know for how long.

Bought Sprite Pocket Backup last night in case it happens again. ;)

baker
02-09-2003, 02:36 AM
My e310 worked fantastic for some time and then it hit a mode where it would not turn Off. Turning On has never been a problem. :? A hard reset is the only thing that I have found to bring it back. Of course then I'm reloading. After a few of these events, I decided to "step" my ppc ware back hoping to determine if one ware is causing the trouble. So far I've only added back Agenda Fusion (working well), then added Flex Wallet (working well), just added Avantgo (things working well). What I have left to add: PocketNAV, SpaceMaker, Dava Picture Viewer, Pocket Explorer and Notes Explorer.

2002F1Fan
02-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Had the same problem with my e310. Maybe bad ROM? I forgot what was wrong with mine, but I had it repaired and it was back to me within 4 days. Works fine now. I'd send it in if I were you.

baker
02-19-2003, 12:29 AM
I sent it in the first time. They (Toshiba) had me hard reset the second time. Sometimes I'm not so sure it's the unit. I'm starting to think it would be some of the ppcware.

taxus
02-19-2003, 06:01 AM
It happened again to my e310 yesterday. That time a hard reset woke it up. And again today.

I'd bought Pocket Plus a few weeks ago, but everything was fine for at least two weeks. I dumped Pocket Plus anyway, and installed Magic Button instead.

I bought FlexWallet too during the $3.50 craze, but I don't see how it could be the one causing problems. The most likely suspects probably are Today plugins and task switchers / behavior changers. In my case:

tAgenda - it worked for 7 months without any problems
tdLaunch - 7 months too
TodaysInfo - 7 months as well
StopTime - same
Pocket Plus
Magic Button
SuperAlert

I didn't reinstall StopTime after the first crash; I replaced it with SuperAlert, which I found more to my liking (I want my PocketPC to double as an alarm clock). Is it the cause? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm far from convinced that software could cause a PocketPC to completely lock up, to the point where a reset doesn't work, when the same software didn't cause any problems during weeks of use. After all, yesterday after the e310 wouldn't turn on, before the hard reset, on soft reset the PocketPC would crash on the "Copyright 1.0404.xxxx" screen, before the OS was even loaded.

And now, when I do a soft reset, on the Copyright screen, the e310 blocks at "1.0404" and takes 4-5 seconds before writing the rest of the numeric chain. This is not normal. It used to take a fraction of a second, not 5.

2002F1Fan
02-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Mine was doing the same thing, it wouldn't turn on, or it would startup and get a white screen. Hard Resetting only worked about 3 times for me before it died...

baker
02-21-2003, 12:22 PM
I"m no expert. If you're under warranty, you probably want to call Toshiba. I haven't had much success finding someone there that knows the e310. I believe if the answer isn't on their script, we're out of luck. So, I've been trying to figure out the rascal myself. I have flex wallet and sometimes after editing for a long period flex wallet shuts itself down. Other than that it has worked fine. I had a freeware closer/task switcher that would mess up my time and date. You could actually see the time change, jump around on the today screen and when you went into settings, the date would always be Jan 1. I'm planning to try Magic Button.

c-naptik
02-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I've had my e330 for a bit less than 2 months and been satisfied with it so far. Recently, I ordered a USB car charger and a sync/charge cable that goes with it from a Hong-Kong site, PC-Mobile.

I don't know if it is the real cause to my PPC probs or what, but I tried charging my e330 in my car and it seemed to work fine. I hadn't tried to turn my e330 since, thinking it was okay. When I got back home, I tried to turn it on and nothing.
Then I tried a soft reset, several times, nothing.
Removed the SD card (Sandisk 128 Mb) : nothing

I finally tried a hard reset, by pressing both the power and reset buttons at the same time, then releasing the power button till a screen appears, well no screen appeared
I tried this many times...

The PocketPC still seems to charge okay though, orange during charge, and turns green when it's done.

Is it possible that it got somehow overloaded during the car charge ? I think the power delivered by car adpaters are universal. Plus this one was especially made for the Toshiba e310/330/335/740.
I noticed only later that PC-Mobile sent me a 5.5v car charger, as the e330 works with 5.0v. I thought that may explains the probs I'm experiencing, but after having exchanged several emails with a representative from that company, it's been said that even the 5.5v car charger should work fine with it and that it couldn't possibly overload the unit.

Any idea..?

baker
02-26-2003, 01:33 AM
You could try a hard reset another way? On my e310 (not exactly your device!)on the bottom side is a small white switch that I had to move to the right to activate the device. Move the switch to the left 'off'. Wait a little bit. Move it back to the right 'on'. Maybe this switch got moved to the 'off' position by mistake to cause the problem in the first place?