View Full Version : A few general wireless router questions

VanHlebar
02-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I just purchased the Linksys Wireless Router/Access point last night. I also purchased a Wifi CF Card from Best Buy at the same time, sorry I don't remember the card name. I was able to easily install everything and had it up and running in no time. Both the router and the Wifi Card on my Axim.

So my question or questions are this.

1. Since my Router is supposed to also act as a firewall do I need to do anything special to keep out unwanted individuals from my wired network(my DSL modem connection)? I used to run Sygate Personal Firewall software, but if I don't have to run this anymore then that would be great.

2. Can I run activesync over the wirless LAN? If I can I would guess that I would have to be logged in first on my Desktop to be able to properly access my calander, contacs etc correct?

Thanks for the help,
-Eric

TopDog
02-06-2003, 02:43 PM
1. Since my Router is supposed to also act as a firewall do I need to do anything special to keep out unwanted individuals from my wired network(my DSL modem connection)?
No, not really, but I would change the SSID, IP-range and administrator password to the gateway. And if you are paranoid, turn on crypto on the wireless :-)

2. Can I run activesync over the wirless LAN? If I can I would guess that I would have to be logged in first on my Desktop to be able to properly access my calander, contacs etc correct?
Yes, you can, just choose connect to "Work" instead of "Internet" under Start/Settings/Connections/Connections.

blazingwolf
02-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Not sure about the first question but the 2nd I know a little. You can sync wirelessly. you will need to be logged into your computer. Also, at least for me, Outlook will need to be set up with only 1 profile. The sync will not continue if you have more than 1.

VanHlebar
02-06-2003, 03:00 PM
No, not really, but I would change the SSID, IP-range and administrator password to the gateway. And if you are paranoid, turn on crypto on the wireless :-)

Thanks for the answer. I already changed the SSID, but I have not changed the IP-range or administrator password. Guess I will do that when I get home from work. Thanks again for the quick reply.

-Eric

TopDog
02-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the answer. I already changed the SSID, but I have not changed the IP-range or administrator password. Guess I will do that when I get home from work. Thanks again for the quick reply.
My pleasure! The point in changing IP-range is that almost everybody has 192.168.1.xxx, easy gues for WiFi-thiefs, and then the password... admin, right!? I could easely take over your net and close you out :-)

67stang
02-07-2003, 06:57 AM
My pleasure! The point in changing IP-range is that almost everybody has 192.168.1.xxx, easy gues for WiFi-thiefs, and then the password... admin, right!? I could easely take over your net and close you out :-)

yup, go check the "Just Chattin" forum, my thread about "how to tell if your wifi is being leeched!"

VanHlebar
02-07-2003, 01:34 PM
That was exactly the thread that got me to thinking. :) Now I changed the general password last night and I enabled WEP and put in a new WEP key.

The only thing that I could not figure out how to do even after looking through the manual is how do I change the default IP range?

Also, if anyone is using Resco File Explorer 2003, how do I map my desktop computer to my ppc when I am connected using Wifi? I have clicked on the network button, then choose map drive. I can see my desktop, but it tells me that I don't have permission to access this computer. I used the same login on my ppc that I would have used on my desktop and same password. On the desktop I am the Administrator so I should in theory have all rights and access shouldn't I?

Thanks again for the help,
-Eric

Steven Cedrone
02-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Don't try to change the IP range (The range you have on your AP is not routable to the internet) - Instead, use MAC filtering. If your neighbors can hack WEP and spoof a MAC address, they are going to get on your WAP no matter what you do. :wink:

Steve