View Full Version : 5450 : WMP 8.5 problem : sound is choppy

baggins
02-05-2003, 10:48 PM
I have just acquired the 5450 - what a piece !!

I've encountered my first problem.

Playing back the "Welcome to Windows Media" WMA file results in choppy sound with long skips, both via the built-in speaker and with headphones.

I have the following info on the system:

Windows Media Player is ver. 8.5 build 12177.
ROM Date: 11/15/02, Revision: 1.00.45 (ENG)

I've moved the "DM_k.lnk" from the Startup menu, as recommended elsewhere, for a performance boost. Other than that, the system is bare-bones with no other software other than the pre-installed.

Any tips?

Baggins

that_kid
02-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Couple of questions
1. what's the bitrate of the file you're trying to play
2. is it stored in main memory or SD
3. Do you have the wifi on and if so is there an access point around

I've noticed that when my 5450 is doing it's "wifi search" that everything slows to a crawl. Now whenever I don't need the wifi I turn it off. This may not be the case with you but it's just something to be aware of. BTW files play fine(as fine as wmp can be) in my 5450

rooks308
02-06-2003, 02:27 AM
I believe that he's referring to the default built in windows media player file that just loops "Welcome to windows media player" and what not. I have a 54xx and have had no issues so far. I agree that you should check to see if your wifi is trying to pick up something or if bluetooth is on. Mine came with those features turned off so I doubt yours is on, unless you turned em on. Hope somebody can help ya, So far no problems here.

that_kid
02-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Ahhh, I missed that part. I'm stumped on what could causing the breakup. The only thing I can think of is a program doing something in the background.

baggins
02-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your input. The file is recorded at 51 kbps. The player seemingly skips through the file with shorter or longer passages of silence.

Both WiFi and Bluetooth have been turned off. I checked to see if any programs were running in the background, but there weren't.

I went to Microsofts Pocket PC site and noticed that there is a Media Player update for PDA's that come with Pocket PC 2002 pre-installed. It's an appr. 650 kb file. Unfortunately, it doesn't state specifically which Media Player version it updates. I'll give it a go, and hope that it solves the problem, because this is a wee bit worrying.

Otherwise, a hard reset might do the trick since the system is absolutely fresh and there's nothing installed otherwise.

I'll post an update when things are done.

Baggins@hopeful

cgavula
02-06-2003, 08:52 PM
After you removed the DM_K.LNK file from startup did you soft reset the Ipaq?

--Chris

baggins
02-06-2003, 09:02 PM
SOLVED! I deleted the demo file (obviously corrupt), transferred a couple of MP3's of 192 - 224 kbps rez and they all run fine with absolutely no break-ups. Weird!

Anybody tried WinamPAQ??

(Awwww)
Coz she's a brick .... house
Yeah ... she's mighty mighty
Jus' lettin' it all hang out ........ go Commodores go!

Baggins