View Full Version : Ripped off by CompUSA TAP

mccollin
02-05-2003, 08:58 PM
There have been some discussions here about CompUSA's Technology Assurance Program or TAP... basically an extended warranty for $99 that covers failures or damage for 2 years. I'll start by saying that many people have had good luck with this... I'm not one of them.

I bought the TAP separately from CompUSA for a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition that I bought from Amazon.com. They knew this, they made copies of the Amazon.com receipt, and they told me that it was no problem. They sell the same phone... or so I thought.

My display got damaged, so I brought it in to have it replaced. They looked at it, spent a long time talking and looking and talking and looking. Then they told me that they would give me back what I paid for the phone because they don't carry that phone! I said wrong... there is only one T-Mobile PPCPE. They said I was wrong... we went back an forth. So I got the box and showed it to them... same phone. Guess what. Their SKU is different. Big mistake of me showing them the box, because that's the horse they road for the rest of the time.

That day, the manager told me that the phone was different and that the only option I had was a gift card for $449. I told him that was ridiculous because I'd then have to buy an out of plan phone at $724 to replace it. He said their phone was a different, more expensive phone, and they had NEVER sold it for less than $599... my receipt was for $449. I told him they regularly had their phone on sale for less than I paid... and he insisted that never had it been sold for less than $599. I asked for a full refund of the $99 TAP and they refused that as well. So I left.

Went home and through a dialog on pdaPhoneHome, came up with some new info.

Here is the FULL text in the TAP documentation of what the coverage is... no other fine print... this is it.

In the event your covered product fails to operate and cannot be repaired(including mechanical or electrical defect in your product screen), the Replacement plan will provide a one(1) time replacement of your original product with a product of equal or similar features, specifications, and functionality...

So, from this, I see that it doesn't matter if the SKU is different on my phone, they should still replace it... its a Pocket PC with 32M and GSM/GPRS capability.... right?

I also find that on the CompUSA website they are selling their SKU for .... $449... same price he said they didn't go under. And I printed out the in-store add from when they sold it for $299.

I went back in, armed with good reason, common sense, and the info I just added. Calmly and clearly laid it out. They still refused, except now the story has changed. Now they are arguing that their SKU includes the SIM card, and mine does not. Amazon includes the SIM card as a separate line item on the invoice at no charge. They argued that their phone wasn't "similar features and functionality" because of the SIM card. I showed him on my TAP receipt that the salesperson wrote that the SIM card was NOT PART OF THE TAP!!! And, I told him it wouldn't matter anyway, because I had to keep my SIM card to continue my plan... that he could keep the new SIM card. I told him that the SIM card was a $25 item from T-Mobile and he replied that he didn't know anything about phones, but that they have to pay $150 for a SIM card. I pointed out that they now sell the phone with the SIM card for the same price as my receipt, he said it was a different SKU. And I repeated to them that the part number on the phone is the exact same.

This is not the first such experience I've had with CompUSA that has ended with utter frustration. The only other extended warranty I ever bought from them went the same way. When I tried to use it, they applied policy to it that wasn't in the contract. In that case, they refused to do in-home service for an item that they sold me an in-home service contract for. No where in the agreement does it mention a SKU or a Gift Card as being part of this plan, but that is presented as my only option.... one that will result in my spending $300 to get my phone replaced with an identical part number device.

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to cut my losses and just pay T-Mobile the $70 plus shipping to repair my phone, or to push this further up the flag pole.... CompUSA Corporate, Attorney General, etc. From my limited legal knowledge, I would guess that I could win a case here, but it would cost more than its worth. I reach this conclusion because the policy that they are clinging to is one that has nothing to do with the language in the contract. I could very easily prove that they have a product available that meets the definition in the contract. But the managers in this store simply dismiss the facts, and point out the internal policy that they have to follow.

If you have a TAP from CompUSA, be prepared for a fight when you try to use it. A SKU can change for many reasons.... like a firmware update... and they could pull this loop hole with anyone.

Kati Compton
02-05-2003, 09:07 PM
I don't suppose you have any other CompUSA stores within reasonable driving distance?

I'd also ask for the phone number for the regional manager (not the store manager) and see if you get any better results.

Steven Cedrone
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I would also email their corporate offices. I have had good results with local managers once corporate was brought into the picture...

Steve

mccollin
02-05-2003, 09:56 PM
I'll probably take a stab at that. I wasn't even at the "store manager" level yet. He was out. Ironically, the highest guy I talked to was the "sales manager". I said to him... "you aren't doing much to help sales here".

This whole store has a track record for being arrogant to customers, and having little knowledge about the technology... so I don't expect much. I would think a higher level manager would look at it and realize that the people who buy $700 phones are the people you want to keep happy. I buy a ton of stuff from them. Just a few weeks ago I dropped $150 on a Bluetooth headset as an impulse buy. I also manage a large team of developers... $20M+ per year in consulting.... which gives me the pulpit to do them some damage. Not to mention the web. I figure I can cause them more pain than they've given to me... but they don't really care.

Jason Dunn
02-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Wow - that sucks. If you've got the time, do like my Avatar does - RIP 'EM UP! :twisted:

mccollin
02-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Jason,

What's the deal with broken PPCPE screens? I was bummed when I saw that you broke yours, then a week later.... boom, mine broke on a fairly gentle fall... in the case!

Thanks for the sympathy.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kati Compton
02-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Before embarking on a vendetta against the entire corporation, try to contact someone else (or multiple someone elses). If enough people complain up the chain of command about poor sales managers, perhaps CompUSA will get rid of the bad ones. I would hesitate to blame the whole company for one person's bad attitude.

Now, if a number of store managers/district managers/regional managers are all sucky to you, that's another thing. But just one guy being difficult (or just dumb) is, while annoying, surmountable.

mccollin
02-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Good point,
That's why I started my long winded story the way I did... I think this store is more worried about their bottom line than any customer concern... it's pervasive there.

Dave Beauvais
02-06-2003, 06:04 AM
... I bought the TAP separately from CompUSA for a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition that I bought from Amazon.com. They knew this, they made copies of the Amazon.com receipt, and they told me that it was no problem. They sell the same phone... or so I thought. ...
You can get a CompUSA TAP on a product that you didn't buy at CompUSA? That's really surprising, and I certainly wasn't aware of that.

I have used a TAP two two times so far, both for Pocket PCs which were purchased at CompUSA:

1. Casio E-200 to Toshiba e740
2. Toshiba e740 to HP iPAQ h5455

The first time, they essentially gave me store credit for the original purchase price, told me to go pick out what I wanted to replace it with and bring it back to the counter. No comparing of SKUs or anything. One of my four E-200s was a new unit that I received direct from Casio as a result of a recall. Since the serial number associated with my TAP no longer matched, I went in and had them fix it. Basically, they returned it and rang it up again as though it were a new purchase.

The second time, about three weeks ago now, I replaced my dead e740 with a new h5455. The first CompUSA didn't have the iPAQs in stock, so they gave me a gift card in the amount of $599.99 plus tax -- the original purchase price of the e740. I took that card to another CompUSA, picked out an h5455, gave them the gift card, and paid only the difference in price. I guess I really didn't even have to buy a new Pocket PC; I literally had $630-some dollars on a gift card that could have been spent on anything in the store.

I have not experienced any hassle at all. In all honesty, it amazes me that they still offer such an amazingly lenient insurance plan. I am sure many people just use it as a means to trade up to the newest Pocket PC for $99 by claiming "it's broken."

--Dave

mccollin
02-06-2003, 06:31 AM
What you described, is what they told me would happen when they sold it to me. And, if it were simply a PDA, that probably wouldn't be that bad. I could just wait for them to put it on sale again, and I'd be able to replace it. The problem is, that what I have is a pdaPhone. So, if they make me do the gift card route, then I'll have to buy a new phone "off plan". They charge about $300 more for an "off plan" purchase. Same thing with any cellphone.

As for them selling a TAP on an item purchased elsewhere... they will do it within 14 days of purchase. You just bring in the receipt and you are all set. They don't care, because the warranty is separate transaction. And, if you know anything about those warranties, they want to sell you that more than the item. And, when you use the plan for a replacement, the store gets credit for a sale of a new device (I believe that is the way it works).

So, the gift card routine... which is no where in the plan contract that they give you... is not an issue for normal PDA owners. A reasonable manager would realize that their policy doesn't work in this case, take the loss at the store level, and then escalate it to corporate to get the policy corrected. These guys are unwilling to take a hit to help a customer.

Dave Beauvais
02-06-2003, 06:41 AM
... So, if they make me do the gift card route, then I'll have to buy a new phone "off plan". They charge about $300 more for an "off plan" purchase. ...
Ahh, I see what you mean now. I read that in your original post, but didn't actually comprehend the issue.

--Dave

jsanfordii
02-06-2003, 01:29 PM
The second time, about three weeks ago now, I replaced my dead e740 with a new h5455. The first CompUSA didn't have the iPAQs in stock, so they gave me a gift card in the amount of $599.99 plus tax -- the original purchase price of the e740. I took that card to another CompUSA, picked out an h5455, gave them the gift card, and paid only the difference in price. I guess I really didn't even have to buy a new Pocket PC; I literally had $630-some dollars on a gift card that could have been spent on anything in the store.

--Dave

I had the same experience when my PPC PE screen broke. I paid the difference for the 5455, without any hassle...

James

boldbidder
02-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Mike,

I'm very sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with CompUSA. I too purchased a TAP plan for my PPCPE and was actually planning to in effect trade up when a device with better features comes out. I hope I don't encounter the same total disregard for the customer as you have. I would STRONGLY recommend trying a different store. Don't waste time talking to sales people, ask to speak immediately with the Store Manager and explain the situation. I had something similar happen with me a while back at Best Buy with a t68 I bought for my fiance, after going to a different store I was able to have the matter resolved.

Best of Luck,

Reggie

rooks308
02-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Staples sells 2 year replacement plans for like $39.99, that includes screen damage, has anybody tried using theirs?