View Full Version : Convince me to cancel my Dell order!

looneytoone
02-05-2003, 02:47 AM
Here is the deal. Many already know the scenario. Ordered a Dell in January. No sign of it in February. Sold my HP548 a week ago and having withdrawal. Feeling unproductive, bored. Liked the HP 1910 but the Dell seemed to offer more and rebates are tempting. Because of wait, considering canceling order. Give me some reasons why you would cancel and go pick up an 1910 from Office Depot tomorrow. Thank you.

wizardmaster2k
02-05-2003, 04:30 AM
it is shiney :) the screen is better (imo), very sleek and slim, cant go wrong with it.

Sven Johannsen
02-05-2003, 04:52 AM
I can tell you why I wouldn't get a 1910

1) SD but not SDIO
2) no CF
3) no sleeve(s)
4) no serial
= No expandibility.

Course it will save you gobs of money not being able to add networking, GPS, cameras, etc.

PetiteFlower
02-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Haven't I also seen people complaining about uber-crappy battery life in the 1910s? From the specs I see why, the battery is only 900 mAh while the standard Dell battery is 1400(the expanded battery is 3400).

The Axims have SD but not SDIO....however they do have the CF so it's ok AFAIC. The Dell also has a faster processor and from what I've heard, a nicer screen.

*I* think it's worth the wait :)

silencery
02-05-2003, 10:23 AM
As someone who has had extensive experience w/ both devices for over 1 month each, I can tell you which choice I stuck with. Though quite a difficult choice to make, I finally decided to keep my Axim. The reasons behind this are:

Future expandability, wireless Internet capability through 802.11b(which I use every once in a while), extraordinary battery life, and faster clock speed.

The 1910, on the other hand, is a particularly beautiful machine; it's sleek, slim, and just looks cool. Beyond that however, the Dell is a much more functional device. Watching movies and tv shows on the 1910 is fantastic because of the awesome TFT screen which IPAQs are famous for, but the horrible clock speed (it matters) ruins the experience since all your frames will get dropped. Of course, if you encode your divx's in fairly low quality, this becomes a non-issue (I have tried using the overclocking utility as well, and dropped frames are still a problem). Playing games is also much more enjoyable on the Axim since the extra power helps things run more smoothly.

Control-wise, the IPAQ is exceptional, although not to say the Dell's control are bad, just the IPAQ's hardware is a bit better.

Basically, what it comes down to, is what you're looking for personally; the Axim is great for people who want a bit more from their pocket pcs, and the 1910 is fine for people who don't mind settling for a bare bone machine.

P.S.
the battery life on the 1910 is pretty DAMN crappy (probably about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the axim)

ipaqrichie
02-08-2003, 06:15 AM
P.S.
the battery life on the 1910 is pretty DAMN crappy (probably about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the axim)

Well what do you expect from a modified Jornada? 8)

vincentsiaw
02-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Well what do you expect from a modified Jornada? 8)

smaller version of it? :roll:

Billsgirl
02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Here is a side by side comparison of the Dell, 1910 and Viewsonic. I personally think the 1910 has the better screen. Almost every review you see clearly speaks of the 1910 having the superior screen :!:

http://www.pocketpcmagic.com/newkids/Img_2457_JPG.html

Kati Compton
02-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Kinda a blurry pic, and too bad they didn't use the same theme file for all 3 units...

I have also heard that the 1910's screen is better, but only minorly so. Very few people would be disappointed with the screen quality on the Dell.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Haven't I also seen people complaining about uber-crappy battery life in the 1910s?
It's not that bad... however, it is definitely no Axim. If you see the physical size of the battery on the 1910, you'd understand -- it is absolutely tiny, on par with a medium-sized cell phone battery. Quite amazing, actually, that it works as well as it does.

IMHO, its battery is better than a 3650's, but not as good as most of the newer (bigger) devices.

--janak

sdcromer
02-09-2003, 11:39 PM
I use my PDA for basic PIM functions and reading ebooks. Small size is also a big feature for me. Because of my usage patterns, the h1910 was the choice for me. If you want to use all of the other gadgets and toys, then the Dell should be your choice. I guess that's why they are called Personal Digital Assistants.

:D :) :o

Scoundrel
02-10-2003, 01:59 PM
If you'll usualy take your axim in your briefcase or backpack all the time then its perfect for you and if you want it for mostly videogames or to surf the net. As for myself, I prefer a device I can use every day in the real world. I pondered this for about 2 1/2 weeks before deciding on the ipaq 1910 with a 128meg mem card. They're about the same price and yes I saw the differences in hardware at the local shop, but I have a powerful desktop at home, and the ipaq has awesome features yet it doesn't feel like you're carrying a hamburger in your pocket. It's realy about how you plan on taking it with you when you're runing around doing your tasks. I'm very glad I got the 1910 because I'm an on-the-go type, so I bet I'd end up leaving the bulky axim at home most of the time, next to the desktop. I've had my 1910 for more than a month now and very glad I chose it. I think it's an amazing and useful tool, but to each his own.. =)

slinger
02-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Wife has the x5 and loves it. I'm having problems with my iPaq which is actually my 3rd (have 3 sleds). I'd love to trade with her but she won't have any of that talk.

My vote is on the Dell.