View Full Version : I have an XP activation question??

Gordo
02-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I have an XP activation question

My wife’s computer experienced a hard disk failure on the weekend. I was able to stabilize her computer by removing the hard drive and installing it in my computer, and then doing a de-frag on the hard drive. I realize that this is a temporary solution and I am playing with fire by re-installing it in her computer and using it. I plan to purchase a new computer for her, but she hates moving from one computer to next. What I planned to do was Ghost the old drive, and then restore the drive on the new drive that will come with the computer. Now for the question. Will the XP activation allow the operating system to work on the new computer?

Kati Compton
02-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Oooh - I wouldn't boot off of the old drive onto the new computer, if that's what you're asking. Unless it's the exact same model, with the same peripherals, same motherboard, same BIOS, etc. Too many driver issues.

I'd read the EULA for your XP license. Some (such as if you bought it as a retail box) will let you move it to a new computer, though you have to reactivate. If XP came on the computer, it's quite likely (though check to be sure) that you legally cannot use that XP license on any other machine and would be expected to buy a new license with the new computer.

I hope you're not replacing the computer because of the hard drive crash, but because it's just time to replace the computer, right?

Gordo
02-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks, good point about the drivers, I had not thought of that. The version of XP is an upgrade license, so I assume that I can move it to a new computer, if required.

The computer is getting old, I think it is a Pentium 400MHz and its at least 4 or 5 years old.

I guess I will simply add the old hard drive to the new computer and let my wife move her files over.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Some (such as if you bought it as a retail box) will let you move it to a new computer, though you have to reactivate.
Kati's got it exactly. No matter what version of Windows XP you use, if you use a different mainboard it'll most likely ask you to reactivate. If that involves calling Microsoft, the EULA will determine whether they let you do so or not. It sucks, but this is the way it is; I think you'll be OK with an XP upgrade though.

Tip, if you don't know it already: you can usually do a fresh install with an upgrade CD. As part of the install, it'll ask you to put in the CD of an older OS as proof. I always prefer doing fresh installs of 2k/XP instead of doing them on top of 98/Me...

--janak

Gordo
02-05-2003, 02:06 PM
I have decided to simply purchase the new computer. It will likely already have XP loaded, but I was wondering about the ability to perform a fresh install; from an upgrade disk. My desktop is ready for a re-install, and I would like to do the fresh version, but I only have an upgrade version of XP.

Thanks again
:D

Mike Temporale
02-05-2003, 03:19 PM
I rebuilt one of my computers (new motherboard, CPU, Memory, and Sound Card). I always format and reinstall the OS, I find it's a little cleaner. There's no chance of some old device driver hanging around.

Anyway, when I installed XP back onto the box, I didn't know which activation code I had used on which machine. So it installed okay, but it failed to register/activate XP. It was really easy to fix. I just called the number they supply (It's a 1-800) and told her what I did. She asked a couple questions, which are no problem if you're legit.

My point to all this is, if you have to reinstall or upgrade, don't worry too much about the activation. You might have to call, but that's really no big deal. As long as you're installing and using a legal copy, then there is no problem.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 08:17 PM
As long as you're installing and using a legal copy, then there is no problem.
The point Kati raised, though, is that OEM copies of XP are subject to much more restrictive policies than retail copies. You are not allowed to transfer the OEM copy to another machine, even if (I believe) the machine dies.

If it's legit, then yes, the MS folks will be very helpful, and the reactivation process is pretty fast.

--janak