fixed link, see above. Sorry :)

smittyofdhs
02-04-2003, 11:39 PM
http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=22039&group=webcast

fixed link

it should be "speed of sound", right?

PetiteFlower
02-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Dude, they can't even go that fast on Star Trek!!!

Duncan
02-07-2003, 05:31 PM

Actually (look... I only know this because my crazy aunt bought me the ST:TNG Technical Manual a few years back... honest...) the ships in Star Trek could go faster than Warp Nine - which is around 1516 times the speed of light (relatively speaking of course!).

PlayAgain?
02-07-2003, 07:07 PM

Actually (look... I only know this because my crazy aunt bought me the ST:TNG Technical Manual a few years back... honest...) the ships in Star Trek could go faster than Warp Nine - which is around 1516 times the speed of light (relatively speaking of course!).

Of course, you know of even more advanced ways of travelling through Time and Relative Dimensions in Space - don't you! I know, I can tell.

:D

Kati Compton
02-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Of course, you know of even more advanced ways of travelling through Time and Relative Dimensions in Space - don't you! I know, I can tell.

A Tardis?

EDIT: Ack! Didn't even see the avatar. Makes me even MORE of a geek, I would assume.

Duncan
02-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Wear your geekdom with pride! :D I'd love a Tardis of my own! Nice to see the avatar recognised when so many wouldn't these days! 8)

Kati Compton
02-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I have to say I prefer Blake's 7 over Dr. Who, though. Haven't seen too much Dr. Who, but for me it tends to drag a bit. ;)

Ed Hansberry
02-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Sure they can. Warp numbers are geometric, not linear. Otherwise at Warp 10, they would still take nearly 5 months to reach the nearest star, 4 light years away. They can do that in a few minutes.

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 10:24 PM
And, in Star Trek: Voyager, they went Warp 10, which is basically instantaneous travel. The downside was that they evolved (or devolved) into lizards. However, as the doctor was able to reverse that, I don't see that as a big deal. Travel anywhere, change into a lizard, and have the doctor change you back. :-D

Also, using the slingshot, they could travel through time, even before the 29th Century Star Fleet had time ships.

Steve

Duncan
02-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Not to mention the 31st century where Starfleet (or its successors?) seem to be able to travel through time just by stepping through a door (cf. the 'Temporal War' in Enterprise).

Kati Compton
02-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Also, using the slingshot, they could travel through time, even before the 29th Century Star Fleet had time ships.

But that involves a guess from a Vulcan, something which isn't all that easy to get. Of course, once you have one, you can trust it better than most people's facts, right? ;)