View Full Version : e740 problems with activesync

boringchris
02-04-2003, 05:03 PM
alright so my e740 works perfectly except for the fact that, when its in its cradle, activesync will *randomly* decide that the device is connected or not connected.. sometimes i'll be sleeping and i'll hear those annoying beeps at 5am cause activesync just decided that it wasnt connected to the e740 anymore.

does anyone know what this might be? i cant imagine its hardware, cause it syncs when i put it into the cradle, without fail.

chris

miterb
02-04-2003, 05:25 PM
This is a problem for which I know of no solution. Make sure you are running Activesync 3.6 which made things a lot better, but not perfect. In case you do not have 3.6, you can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=44C5CD04-E8D3-4E3A-A3A5-31A4D151F304&freetext=&DisplayLang=en

Brad :?

Jimmy Dodd
02-04-2003, 07:13 PM
This problem is incredibly annoying for developers. If you lose your connection while debugging on the e740 you not only have to remove/reinsert the device in the cradle, you also have to shut down eVC++ and restart it. This is one of the main reasons I am considering exchanging my e740 for an iPaq.

wreck
02-04-2003, 08:06 PM
I just notice this lastnight. This did not happen to me when I was on active sync 3.5. Also there were a few software i've installed since then, tweak2k2 and Pocket Hack Master (neat little tool).

67stang
02-05-2003, 08:11 AM
This problem is incredibly annoying for developers. If you lose your connection while debugging on the e740 you not only have to remove/reinsert the device in the cradle, you also have to shut down eVC++ and restart it. This is one of the main reasons I am considering exchanging my e740 for an iPaq.

The problem is Active Sync, not really the device.... I dont see how changing to ipaq will solve anything!

Jimmy Dodd
02-05-2003, 03:55 PM

The problem is Active Sync, not really the device.... I dont see how changing to ipaq will solve anything!

It's my understanding that this is a problem on the e740 only, not on any other device. It's the only device I've suffered through the problem with at least. I'm not sure if the actual problem is with ActiveSync or if it is the hardware itself that is dropping the connection. The latter seems more likely.

Perhaps I'm misinformed, though.

dead_smed
02-05-2003, 05:06 PM
I've also got the same problem with my 740 +BT my old toshiba machine didn't do this and it is quite annoying if you use the connection for the internet and other data such as Pocketvinyl. Do you think reflashing the OS might fix the problem?

Jimmy Dodd
02-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I've also got the same problem with my 740 +BT my old toshiba machine didn't do this and it is quite annoying if you use the connection for the internet and other data such as Pocketvinyl. Do you think reflashing the OS might fix the problem?

I've applied all of the updates (through EUU3) and it still happens to me.

redifrogger
02-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Reflashing the ROM will not fix it; from everything that I've seen written about this problem, nothing seems to fix for good. But 3.5 does prove to be more reliable than 3.6 from posts I've read about this. :(

67stang
02-05-2003, 07:15 PM

Interesting, becasuse if you troll around the "Just Chattin" or "Software" forums, i see that many people have active sync issues, dropping off intermitantly, etc.. and they all seem to have a variety of branfs/models.

In either case, i do have problems with my Active sync and Tosh e740. Its the only PPC i've owned.

Most of the annoyances however with Active Sync occur when the device isn't even connected in the cradle! When i turn on my desktop active sync always runs through some stupid COM port check, and then tells me how it cant find a port, etc etc... then it wants me to re-do the "Guest or Partner" computer screens, etc etc... but the second I put the PPC in the cradle, it works...

so to me that says active sync in and of itself is problematic. there may also be issues with the activesync as installed on the e740.

dead_smed
02-07-2003, 12:08 AM
I've also found sometimes / most the time when i try to reconnect my device by removing and placing it back in the cradle that it soft resets, you have to take it out for about 10 to 30 secs before you can put it back in stopping this, dam toshiba do they know about these problems and do the intend to fix it?

agkozak
03-02-2003, 11:15 PM
I figured out how to use Pocket Hack Master's scaling feature to effect a nearly-perfect work-around to the e740 ActiveSync connection-dropping problem. See my explanation at http://agkozak.com/e740-AS-PHM.htm.

By the way, after I figured this out, I tried updating to AS v. 3.6 (from 3.5). Disastrous. I recommend that e740 users stick with 3.5 until Toshiba addresses this problem.

dead_smed
03-03-2003, 04:45 PM
I'll have to give that a shot when i get home tonight, So toshiba know of the problem then? i've keep checking there website and it would be nice to see, yes we know of the problem and are working on a fix!

agkozak
03-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Dear dead_smed:

A number of people in the online forums (particularly in Brighthand, which has a very active e740 group) report having talked to Toshiba support representatives. The responses seem to range from denial to stupid and ineffective suggestions as to how to fix the problem to admissions that there is a problem -- but there is never any mention of a forthcoming fix. The whole thing is utterly shameful, especially insofar as the e740 is otherwise such a great device.

I always wonder: Do Toshiba employees actually use these things? Really! One would expect that many of them would use the e740, their most advanced PDA -- but how do they manage to use the things without reliable connections??? Are they all actually using iPaqs or something? They must have some in-house fix or work-around that they're not letting their customers in on. Will a Toshiba employee please speak up and let us know what it is that you all do to get along day-to-day? Do you just use laptops and laugh at the consumer? Is there anyone at Toshiba who is a human being, rather than a corporate automaton, who will speak up and tell us all what is to be done?

ExtremeSIMS
03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Perhaps the at the e750 demo, someone can ask about this issue!

dead_smed
03-05-2003, 08:44 PM
It is a shame, this is my 2nd Toshiba PDA, and in someways i do regret moving up from a e570, my new one might be faster but its not as relyable :(