View Full Version : Pocket PC keyboard availability?

kneofyte
02-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a keyboard available for the T-Mobile pocket pc phone edition. I enquired in their web site and they told me that it would take 4 weeks to get one! I also checked up on the datanywhere.net site and its out of stock there too. Does anyone know of someplace else where I can get the keyboard quickly.
Thanks.

Monty Gibson
02-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a keyboard available for the T-Mobile pocket pc phone edition. I enquired in their web site and they told me that it would take 4 weeks to get one! I also checked up on the datanywhere.net site and its out of stock there too. Does anyone know of someplace else where I can get the keyboard quickly.
Thanks.

No one has responded either way (I've been watching this thread all day) so to tell you the bad news rather than no news at all: No, I don't know of any and I must tell you I've looked for you. All that's available is the Thumboard.

szeldov
02-05-2003, 02:06 AM
Take a look here, they are showing one
http://myxda.com/web/template/XdaAccessories.vm

Stan.

Monty Gibson
02-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Take a look here, they are showing one
http://myxda.com/web/template/XdaAccessories.vm

Stan.

Stan,

I think what you are seeing is the stores are saying that the keyboard is "available" in the sense that it's finally mass manufactured (produced). Whether or not they are actually in "stock" is another subject all together. Also, all of these stores are overseas and I believe this gentleman lives in America somewhere.

kneofyte
02-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Monty and Stan,

You are right. I live in America and the myXDA.com site lists stores in Asia. Thanks anyways Stan and Monty. I guess, I will have to wait four weeks.

AdrianP
02-05-2003, 04:13 PM
If you're living in the UK, Expansys apparently sells the XDA keyboard which should work equally well with a T-Mobile Phone Edition. They even indicate 5 day delivery.

So much for the good news... I ordered one over a month ago and it has still not arrived...! :twisted: :evil:

Monty Gibson
02-05-2003, 04:18 PM
If you're living in the UK, Expansys apparently sells the XDA keyboard which should work equally well with a T-Mobile Phone Edition. They even indicate 5 day delivery.

So much for the good news... I ordered one over a month ago and it has still not arrived...! :twisted: :evil:

Yes, I have heard of several "horror" stories with Expansys.com. I think they have a lot of bark, but no bite. The issue things out to pre-order (e.g., Jornada 928) before it's ever released. I don't believe in their business ethics and personally wouldn't order even an SD card from them.

andygee
02-05-2003, 05:57 PM
I just bought one from http://www.moonlight-tech.com and it seems to work ok. It's a generic one but it works and is cheaper.

Monty Gibson
02-05-2003, 06:02 PM
I just bought one from http://www.moonlight-tech.com and it seems to work ok. It's a generic one but it works and is cheaper.

Cool! Thanks Andygee! There you go Kneofyte:

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/45/45071/foldablekeyboard.jpg

Get it while it's hot :lol:.

jsanfordii
02-05-2003, 08:54 PM
I got a message from www.datanywhere.com that they had them...I've bought from them before and have been happy. I didn't buy the keyboard though...

kneofyte
02-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Hello guys,

My keyboard has just arrived from t-mobile and it took them just one week! Thats really cool considering that it was out of stock. It seems to work perfectly fine but for a small glitch. After I hook my PPC, there's a beep and key boards working. But then, after I remove it from the slot and reinsert it, it doesnt work. I need to go to setting->connections-> beams and just press ok and then reinsert it and it works perfect. I guess its a bug in their driver.
Anyways, thanks guys and I appreciate all your help.

AdrianP
02-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Mine has just arrived, too (from Expansys - see :twisted: posts above)... it only took 6 weeks (contr. the 5 days that it was supposed to take according to their website). Still it's all working fine, and am pretty happy with it.[/quote]

nukie
02-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I received my XDA two days ago and found out that it has the same connector as my iPAQ 3970 (since they are manufactured by the same company HTC), and the foldable keyboard for XDA (picture from XDA site) is the same as the keyboard that I had for my iPAQ, I am now searching for the driver for XDA, not sure whether I can use Compaq driver, will try it out.

Eciton
02-18-2003, 11:47 PM
The connector's not quite the same - although it fits, the pins are different. So unless you have an extraordinary stroke of luck (or I'm wrong!) it won't work whatever drivers you use :D

AdrianP
02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
So far as I know Eciton is right, the connector on the XDA looks the same as those on an Ipaq but the pin layout is different. I remember seeing somewhere that you can get a widget which plugs into an XDA connector to allow you to plug in Ipaq peripherals as a (not ideal) workaround. Anyone else with more info?

Eciton
02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
There is an adaptor, but it only works on 3600 accessories: 3600-->XDA. I think datanywhere carry it - Gomadic, perhaps?

Not much use for all my 3800 accessories, as there's no way of adapting 3800--->3600 or even just a straight 3800--->XDA on sale anywhere. I don't see why not, but no-one's done it yet AFAIK :)