View Full Version : Pocket Hack Master for X-Scale Over/Under Clocking Reviewed

Ed Hansberry
02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpda_more.php?id=226_0_2_0_M' target='_blank'>http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpd...?id=226_0_2_0_M</a><br /><br /></div>MaximumPDA has given Pocket Hack Master a thorough workout:<br /><br />"Like many others, when I first heard that the next Pocket PC’s would have Intel’s new 400 Mhz X-Scale processor, I couldn’t wait to enjoy all the new found speed all my favorite Pocket PC applications would have. And, like many others, I was very disappointed when I discovered most ran about the same as my old 206 MHz Strong-arm and some even ran slower. All this speed and power in my hand, and I couldn’t tap it."

dean_shan
02-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks for pointing me out to the review. I was thinking about getting Pocket Hack Master but this review has changed me from thinking to buying.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks for pointing me out to the review. I was thinking about getting Pocket Hack Master but this review has changed me from thinking to buying.

Interesting...and here I was thinking to myself "That's it, no more freakin' Hackmaster reviews - this is the third review we're posted on!" ;-)

Jonathan1
02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Hmmm interesting. I wonder if this speeds up the performance on a 105Mhz system bus how much would it help on a 200Mhz system bus? Wow I can play Ghost Recon!!! :D Dang it that new X-Scale can't come out soon enough.

Even more impressive the author isn't price gouging you. 8O Its only 10 bucks. I could easily envision this app being $15 or $20.

dean_shan
02-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Interesting...and here I was thinking to myself "That's it, no more freakin' Hackmaster reviews - this is the third review we're posted on!" ;-)

Yes this is not the first review I've read. That the drilling of the program's features might have been a factor in persuading me to want the program. They say it takes you hearing it three times to learn it :wink:

Dom
02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
The new chip and HackMaster have finally convinced me to ditch my overclocked iPaq. What a fantastic product.

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 06:40 PM
If you've got an iPAQ 38-5400 and are looking for a speed boost and DON'T use any expansion sleeves, try this out:

1. Go to \Windows\Startup and look for a shortcut named DM_k.lnk
2. Move this file to \Windows\Start Menu
3. Soft reset your device.

The file is a short cut to the app that activates your expansion connector. If you don't use any Expansion Sleeves, then you don't need this running. If you want to use an Expansion Sleeve, tap Start--DM_k before you put your iPAQ in an Expansion Sleeve. When you're done with the sleeve, soft reset your device.

I have noticed a REMARKABLE performance improvement in my 5455 since I did this. Now that I have a built-in WiFi adapter, I won't use the sleeve as much. When I do, its to play music or video and I can run the app only when I need to.

I would do this before I'd over clock the processor. Over clocking apps always introduce instability as well as risk of processor damage (If they didn't, then the developers of these kinds of apps wouldn't need to post a disclaimer with the app.)

This is a good and easy way of getting a performance boost without adding instability or risk to your device.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Johan
02-04-2003, 07:12 PM

Thanks!!

The 5450 feels a lot snappier now! :lol:

Rirath
02-04-2003, 08:33 PM
3 reviews for one app isn't bad, considering how much this does. Besides, it's literally changing on a daily basis. Just recently released was a new scaling mode, and in the next release will be a benchmark that will automatically adjust the normalization values. Exciting stuff indeed. Soon to come is Vcore adjustments, which will lead to even greater speed gains. This program has climbed the Handango ranks like mad. I believe it's currently in the top #20. I won't be surprised if it hits the top 10 shortly.

Just to note, the 472mhz mode is slightly faster than the 500mhz mode due to a small bus speed increase in 472. The Axims can not use the 472 mode because it requires changing the L value. We can however use the 500mhz mode just fine, and underclock all the way down to 100mhz 1/2 memclk. So we Axim users have every bit as much joy as the rest. Tests prove overclocked Xscales beat 206 strongarms in speed. Finally.

Another note I didn't see mentioned was the the built in scaling of the Xscale often doesn't work. It's suppose to work, but software devs haven't done what's needed to make it scale the way I understand it. This works in a different method, and actually does work! It scales based on CPU load, and once the benchmark auto setup is done, it'll do a dang good job at that. Tests show battery gains of about 12%.

If you haven't done so already, check out the 153 page thread at Brighthand. http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69920&perpage=15&pagenumber=157 Though sadly right now it's just bickering about the scaling methods. :roll: Once Vcore tweaks are out, things should heat up again (pardon the pun) with a nice round of benchmarks.

paris
02-04-2003, 08:56 PM
If you've got an iPAQ 38-5400 and are looking for a speed boost and DON'T use any expansion sleeves, try this out:

This ONLY aplies to the iPaq H545x AND NOT any previous series remove the file only if you have an H545x Pocket PC not a 38xx or 39xx. It will only make a diference in the 545x since this file seems to be buggy and consumes 10% cpu time when doing nothing.[/b]

nozy
02-04-2003, 08:59 PM
You experts can turn your head and giggle after this Pocket PC illiterate asks this question, then when you finish laughing, one of you answer it please. Do I understand that if I have the iPaq H3650 with the 206 StrongArm Processor that the Pocket Hack Master is of absolutley no use to me? If so, I sure am glad that I downloaded it when it was still free? :oops:

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Do I understand that if I have the iPaq H3650 with the 206 StrongArm Processor that the Pocket Hack Master is of absolutley no use to me?

I believe this is correct, as PHM is for XScale processors.

nozy
02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Okay, thanks Chris. You would think that it wouldn't load or operate but it does. You even almost imagine that the PPC is running faster. I will remove it. Thanks Again
Doug

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 09:09 PM
This ONLY aplies to the iPaq H545x AND NOT any previous series remove the file only if you have an H545x Pocket PC not a 38xx or 39xx. It will only make a diference in the 545x since this file seems to be buggy and consumes 10% cpu time when doing nothing.[/b]

In the 3900, the file is HH_DM.lnk.

I have done this on my 3900 and while I do see **somewhat** of a performance boost, you're right, that it isn't as noticable as on the 5400.

I truly believe that HP didn't recode this for the 5400. They just quickly ported it over, without making any real changes to the code, and that's why this procedure works so well for the 5400.

Dom
02-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Tests prove overclocked Xscales beat 206 strongarms in speed. Finally.

Maybe but do they beat overclocked 206 Strongarms ? My iPaq is overclocked using Jimmy Software's Overclock utility and it flies along. If they are even faster than my 3 year old iPaq then I will absolutely replace it.
Dom

PS XScale is still a joke given that Intel obviously forgot to check its speed against the older machines :0)))

Rirath
02-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Tests prove overclocked Xscales beat 206 strongarms in speed. Finally.

Maybe but do they beat overclocked 206 Strongarms ? My iPaq is overclocked using Jimmy Software's Overclock utility and it flies along. If they are even faster than my 3 year old iPaq then I will absolutely replace it.
Dom

PS XScale is still a joke given that Intel obviously forgot to check its speed against the older machines :0)))

Not yet I believe, but after the Vcore tweaks come out, maybe so.

PS I still say Xscale is "the new hotness". StrongArm is "old and busted". :lol: :wink: :wink:

MLO
02-04-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm still debating on whether or not to purchase.

On one hand, I could use the speed increase on my Toshiba e335. I use Microsoft Reader a LOT and that particular app could use a processor boost.

On the other hand, I'm a bit leery about doing something that would most likely void the warranty for my device. I probably would stick with the presets, and not go anywhere near the manual settings, but it still seems a bit risky.

I've got the trial on my handheld now...just need to debate with myself a bit more.

MLO

Rirath
02-04-2003, 10:02 PM
The only manual setting worth using is 497mhz mode. (Why the heck that's not a preset, I don't know.) Other than that, nearly all the manual settings will cause lockups or slow performance. You probably wouldn't need a processor boost for reader. If anything, you might benefit from the underclocking / scaling features.

Dom
02-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Not yet I believe, but after the Vcore tweaks come out, maybe so.

PS I still say Xscale is "the new hotness". StrongArm is "old and busted". :lol: :wink: :wink:

Old and busted eh ? ;0) Wanna race ? :0) Do you know what I am praying that you are right ? I could have cried when I first tried XScale. Whenever I do try XScale then use my old overclocked iPaq I always feel as if I just got hold of the latest thing (the iPaq). Any news on Samsung's 1.3Ghz ARM compatible chip ? I'd love to try Intel's new patch up job but maybe I'd be better with a fresh start with Samsung :) In any case XScale won't be touching 1Ghz any time soon...

Kaber
02-04-2003, 11:13 PM
I highly recommend this for any iPAQ 3900 users, but I would also caution you to take heed of what all the reviews say. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP before you go tweaking anything.

I have applied the new ROM update (which includes EUU3) and Pocket Hack Master works just perfect.

HERE (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69920) is the link to the discussion at Brighthand.com . The fact that the PocketTV team is a big contributor to the discussion should tell you that this app IS a serious improvement for those who want to run video on their XScale PPCs. They are saying using PHM and PocketTV Classic is seeing performance like their $50 enterprise version.

And for only $10!

huangzhinong
02-04-2003, 11:42 PM
I highly recommend this for any iPAQ 3900 users, but I would also caution you to take heed of what all the reviews say. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP before you go tweaking anything.

I have applied the new ROM update (which includes EUU3) and Pocket Hack Master works just perfect.

HERE (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69920) is the link to the discussion at Brighthand.com . The fact that the PocketTV team is a big contributor to the discussion should tell you that this app IS a serious improvement for those who want to run video on their XScale PPCs. They are saying using PHM and PocketTV Classic is seeing performance like their $50 enterprise version.

And for only $10!

what about using PHM and PocketTV enterprise version? does it works better than Joranda 568.

atct86
02-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Where can i get teh hack master software?

Deslock
02-05-2003, 02:14 AM
FYI, there are other overcocking programs available. Checkout brighthand.com for Speed Stepper, Turbo Tray, Clear Speed, and XCPUScalar. Personally, I like Turbo Tray (which is freeware).

Rirath
02-05-2003, 03:05 AM
True enough, but they lack the support and features of PHM. The freewares are great to make sure it works on your device before plunking down the cash though.

starstreak
02-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Folks listen here. I downloaded this when I was about to goto bed. I read the instructions and was going to save it for tomorrow. But I said what the hell, I'll just run the default.... Well, on my HP 5455 all it took was one time and my unit shut down. LOST EVERYTHING on my unit. the only way I got it back was removing the battery. Which in turned wiped everything out of memory but my thumbprint.
Lucky I had most of my stuff backed up except for program installed, which is really screwing me up now, being that I can't remember what I put on. doh.
So remember to back up. I didn't and now regret it.

Rirath
02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Yep. One bad setting or incompatible value and it's hard reset time. Axims have a cool thing where you can hit hard reset, click the mail button, and end up just soft resetting. It's a cool trick, works often times when soft resets aren't enough.

MLO
02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Folks listen here. I downloaded this when I was about to goto bed. I read the instructions and was going to save it for tomorrow. But I said what the hell, I'll just run the default.... Well, on my HP 5455 all it took was one time and my unit shut down. LOST EVERYTHING on my unit. the only way I got it back was removing the battery. Which in turned wiped everything out of memory but my thumbprint.
Lucky I had most of my stuff backed up except for program installed, which is really screwing me up now, being that I can't remember what I put on. doh.
So remember to back up. I didn't and now regret it.

See, this is the type of stuff that makes me hesitate to purchase. Granted, I only plan on using the default overclock modes...and possibly the Scale feature, but still...

MLO

shindullin
02-06-2003, 02:25 AM
If you get the same speed increase with the freeware and you don't have the gut or know-how to experiment with Hackmaster's other speed control features, what else does Hackmaster have that programs like turbo tray do not have? ie turbo tray lets you control the speed in a tray, is still around with the same speed after to power down and then back up and it has a notification that tells you what the speed is... Seems like everything that hackmaster has from what I can tell (other than the before mentioned fact that you can't adjust it for untested speeds or speeds that are already known to lock up your device).

Kaber
02-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Have you bothered to read anything about the product? Or one of the like 8 reviews? Or read any of the >150 page discussion on Brighthand.com ?

starstreak
02-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Hey I just noticed this. since I restored my ipaq, it'll now ccrash with pockettv. As in a hard crash, same way as when I ran this speed program. do you think my unit is damaged?

Kaber
02-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling PocketTV?

Sometimes it needs to be reregistered after a hard reset. Even if you restore.

starstreak
02-07-2003, 09:29 PM
sure did. after hard reset I had to reinstall everything. same problem every time. Anyways, a program isn't supposed to crashe it THAT hard. in order to get it to work again, I have to take teh battery out and put it back in again. And that wipes out the memory. and that in itself isn't supposed to happen.

Kaber
02-10-2003, 09:41 PM
that is very bad. i recommend you contact the PocketTV team ASAP!

starstreak
02-10-2003, 11:01 PM
no no. You missed the point, it'll crash even without the pockettv. Just that with the pockettv I can do it consistantly.