View Full Version : ipaq goodies :)

wizardmaster2k
02-04-2003, 04:16 AM
ok, i havean ipaq 3635 comming along shortly. i have a 2 gb PC card with pc to cf adapter. what are some good things to get for this? is the pc card going to stick out of the devise? (i have the standard cf sleeve) i also have a keyboard for it. it comes with the ppc2002 upgrade, so that is out of the way. i just want to know of some programs that are a must. also, would it be a better idea to get a pc card sleeve instead? i am also looking for a nice case for it, to be used with the pc card in use. thanks for the help.

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 04:25 AM
is the pc card going to stick out of the devise? (i have the standard cf sleeve)
Yes, it will. There's no way the PC card would fit in a CF sleeve. May I ask why you're plugging in the PC card this way (as opposed to getting a PC sleeve)? The big problem is that battery drain will be tremendous -- the standard CF sleeve has no external battery, which is important for hard drives. I strongly recommend getting the PC (or PC+) sleeve.

--janak

wizardmaster2k
02-04-2003, 04:30 AM
ahh, just what i was hoping for :( i guess ill get the pc sleeve. also, what is a good screen protector? i use to own a brando, and i found it very good. anybody still use thoes anymore?

spursdude
02-04-2003, 04:57 AM
ahh, just what i was hoping for :( i guess ill get the pc sleeve. also, what is a good screen protector? i use to own a brando, and i found it very good. anybody still use thoes anymore?

Screen protectors will protect your screen from scratches, fingerprints, crazy kids with real pens, spit, flying toads...etc. :D

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 05:01 AM
spursdude, I think he was asking which screen protector is good.

I don't use one, but I've heard nothing but good things about PPCTechs' WriteSHIELDS (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp) (except that it's not the cheapest out there).

--janak

ctmagnus
02-04-2003, 06:38 AM

I don't use one, but I've heard nothing but good things about PPCTechs' WriteSHIELDS (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp) (except that it's not the cheapest out there).

--janak

fwiw, I find that iConcepts screen protectors feel really nice but are not particularly long lasting and Fellowes' WriteRights don't feel as nice but last a bit longer. Both cost about the same for 12 as the WriteSHIELDS cost for three but the WriteSHIELDS last that much longer and (it seems to me) will protect your screen better if something slightly catastrophic should happen.

spursdude
02-04-2003, 07:31 AM

--janak

Wow, my reading has been bad these past couple o' days...burn-out from finals. :oops:

cgavula
02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
I tried the Fellowes protectors and found them to be awful. I could never get them to sit without bubbles. If I left them on long enough, they'd eventually settle down (over the course of about a week), but I really didn't care for them.

The WriteShields from PPC Techs are definitely more expensive, but they can last for months and they sit beautifully on the screen. I've have nothing but good things to say about them.

I would recommend using a protector (having scratched a couple of screens inthe past). You never know when your going to accidently put the PPC into a position where it gets scratched..

--Chris

Kralizec
02-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Believe me, you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting the WRITEShields from PPC Techs. They are extremely easy to put on, protect wonderfully, have a nice feel with the stylus and they last a long time. Yes, they're expensive, but they are worth every penny. Don't waste your time or money with the others. Just my $0.02.

ctmagnus
02-04-2003, 09:23 PM
They are extremely easy to put on...

If done correctly the first time, yes. But if you misalign one and have to reapply then things get difficult. I actually damaged a portion of my digitizer doing so because I managed to get a tiny crease in one corner of the first protector I tried and applying pressure to that portion of the protector eventually killed that part of the screen.

If you're as klutzy as I am then I recommend starting out with the cheaper ones as they (do) (are capable of) less damage, even though they are not as high quality. Once you get the hang of applying protectors, then graduate up to WriteSHIELDS.

ajf
02-05-2003, 04:26 PM
If you are getting the PC Card expansion pack and have a need for WiFi think about getting a Lucent Orinoco Gold card. It's low power and has great range. Also it works with the Compaq WL110 drivers (becuase the Compaq is just a rebranded Orinoco card). And it'll work great in a laptop and supports many different OSs.

ajf

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 08:21 PM
If you are getting the PC Card expansion pack and have a need for WiFi think about getting a Lucent Orinoco Gold card. It's low power and has great range. Also it works with the Compaq WL110 drivers (becuase the Compaq is just a rebranded Orinoco card). And it'll work great in a laptop and supports many different OSs.
Agreed that the Orinocos are great, but why on earth would you want to use the Compaq drivers? Orinoco publishes their own, very good, Pocket PC drivers.

--janak

ctmagnus
02-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Considering Orinoco hasn't updated their drivers in a while, I use drivers from Agere on my iPaq w/ an Orinoco Gold.

Janak Parekh
02-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Considering Orinoco hasn't updated their drivers in a while, I use drivers from Agere on my iPaq w/ an Orinoco Gold.
Is there a particular feature that the ORiNOCO WinCE drivers are lacking?

--janak

ctmagnus
02-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Is there a particular feature that the ORiNOCO WinCE drivers are lacking?

--janak

afaik just this

http://www.magnusson.ca/Images/Profiles.jpg

and the newer version.

But I haven't actually been able to try the Base Station thing yet.