View Full Version : 5455 Synching Issues

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 01:03 AM
I am having a great deal of trouble getting my computer to correctly recognize my 5455. I am not having this level of difficulty with my 3900 or e310.

The 5455 will occasionally be recognized, but then after about 2-3 cradle pulls and reseats, it is continually recognized as Guest. It may be recognized once in a while after this starts, but then after I pull it from the cradle again and reseat it, I'm a Guest... :evil:

Is anyone else having this problem?? If so, how did you get beyond it?

I have restarted my laptop numerous times. I've soft-reset the device numerous times. I've deleted and recreated the Partnership... Sometimes ActiveSync correctly identifies the device, other times it doesn't. However, it always connects. I just don't like being a Guest... I can't sync that way.

Can anyone give me a hand here??

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

BGinWA
02-04-2003, 01:24 AM
I am having the same problem, especially if I try to sync over wifi. It seems to take either a reboot of my PC or PPC to get it to work in the cradle, but I can't get it to sync via wifi other then as guest!

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 01:47 AM
I have just performed a Hard Reset on the device and am going to try looking at this from scratch...

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 01:53 AM
After the hard reset, it syncs just fine, every time. I've pulled and reseated it about 5 times so far...

I don't understand this.

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 02:39 AM
Well, maybe you had an application causing a conflict?

Or it's one of the software flakinesses of the 5450 that a ROM update will hopefully fix.

--janak

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 02:42 AM
Well, maybe you had an application causing a conflict?

Or it's one of the software flakinesses of the 5450 that a ROM update will hopefully fix.

--janak

I thought of both of these, but I really haven't installed anything new; and everything else works on my 3955.

The ROM update thing has got me kind of worried. I tried waiting until after it had been released and perhaps production units were updated with it; but then Costco had to go and have a sale... :roll:

Terry
02-04-2003, 06:58 AM
FWIW, I have the same problem. A soft reset of the iPaq usually fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I delete the partnership, reboot my PC and soft reset the iPaq. I have not needed to resort to a full reset yet.

seanturner
02-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Recently I've noticed a wierd problem with my 5455; when I put it in the cradle, sometimes the orange charging light will not come on and it will not change to full screen brightness. It will, however, show as charging in the power meter.

Anyone else notice this?

Chris Spera
02-04-2003, 10:23 PM
I have also noticed that if you pop the battery on the back of the unit, wait like 5-10 seconds, pop it back in the unit and then try to sync, that the unit stops the "be my Guest" routine...

Christopher Spera

seanturner
02-05-2003, 12:18 AM
I have also noticed that if you pop the battery on the back of the unit, wait like 5-10 seconds, pop it back in the unit and then try to sync, that the unit stops the "be my Guest" routine...

Christopher Spera

That is equivelent to doing a soft reset.

Chris Spera
02-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Yes, its equivalent to a soft reset; but more importantly, it removes the power source from the device which may clear any bits and bytes that have not been effectively cleared out of RAM by the soft reset.

jsanfordii
02-05-2003, 01:32 PM
FWIW, I have the same problem. A soft reset of the iPaq usually fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I delete the partnership, reboot my PC and soft reset the iPaq. I have not needed to resort to a full reset yet.

I have the same issue (occasionally), and a soft reset usually fixes it. I've also tried the get connected item in the file menu on ActiveSync, and that usually works as well...

that_kid
02-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Hmm... I wonder what is making this happen. I have no problems syncing my 5450 but I've had my 3970 show up as a guest more times than I care to.

Chris Spera
02-05-2003, 03:49 PM
The more that I encounter this problem and the more that I think about it, I am almost certain that its a Resource issue.

While I have available RAM (about 15-20 MB or PROGRAM Memory), with the device syncing fine, the moment I try to run something that says resident, like Calligrapher, I repeatedly connect as a Guest. Closing that program doesn't fix the issue, either.

The reason the soft reset works is because it effectively reboots the device, clearing Resource Heaps (if PPC has them) and therefore the problem.

This **HAS** to be a resource issue, (as opposed to an AcytiveSync issue) because nothing else makes sense. If it weren't, then none of the Pocket PC's I have would sync right or with any reasonable consistency.

Christopher Spera

rooks308
02-06-2003, 02:44 AM
I totally forgot that I had this issue too. It happend once for me so far but I have since then soft reset because of an app that I installed that asked to do so once the install was complete. Only once so far, I hope that this doesnt doesn't become a serious issue for me.