View Full Version : TI Unveils New Wireless Chips

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 10:26 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1033-983098.html?tag=fd_top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1033-98309...html?tag=fd_top</a><br /><br /></div>"Texas Instruments showed off several new chipsets Monday that it says will help handheld devices run graphics, multimedia content and Java applications as much as eight times faster than they can now.<br /><br />The new chipsets incorporate the company's Open Multimedia Applications Protocol (OMAP), used by next-generation cell phones and other wireless devices to access the Internet.<br /><br />According to TI, the chipsets include security technology and let mobile device makers increase battery life while maintaining security."<br /><br />Some of the chipsets are including support not only for GSM/GPRS, but also UMTS/wCDMA. I wonder which, if any, will be used on the Smartphone 2002 platform.

pocketpcdude1024
02-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Because Microsoft standardized the ARM processor, there's no chance of getting a Pocket PC to run on these new OMAPs, huh? :?

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 10:55 PM
No, I believe that OMAP is ARM-compatible (at least, StrongARM). It probably doesn't support XScale optimizations though. A few Pocket PCs (like the Jornada 928) and Smartphones (like the HTC Canary) use the OMAP processor.

This link (http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/press/backgrounder/omap.shtml) shows that TI offers OMAP products that include ARM925 technology.

--janak

Jason Dunn
02-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Because Microsoft standardized the ARM processor, there's no chance of getting a Pocket PC to run on these new OMAPs, huh? :?

Actually, TI's OMAP process is ARM-based. The HP 928 phone device used the TI OMAP processor, and I believe some of the Smartphone devices use it as well. This is perhaps the most important reason why Microsoft shouldn't optimize the OS for Xscale processors - there are other players with ARM-based chips, including TI.

pocketpcdude1024
02-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Oh, ok. :oops:

Fishie
02-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Hrm, no reactions to the Samsung press release I posted, with the system on a chip(including ARM compliant processor, graphics accelerator and a whopping 256MB of ram)

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Hrm, no reactions to the Samsung press release I posted, with the system on a chip(including ARM compliant processor, graphics accelerator and a whopping 256MB of ram)
You should submit it as news... it might have gotten a front-page post. I think it just got buried - the forums tend to be avalanches at times. :)

--janak

fyiguy
02-04-2003, 01:36 AM

Are you talking about the Samsung System-in-Package (SiP) with an ARM-based processor, NAND flash and SDRAM for next-generation mobile phone and handheld applications? This does looks to be the chip of mobile platforms that will make "smartphones" cheaper to make and hopefully cheaper to buy.

Fishie
02-04-2003, 02:33 AM

Are you talking about the Samsung System-in-Package (SiP) with an ARM-based processor, NAND flash and SDRAM for next-generation mobile phone and handheld applications? This does looks to be the chip of mobile platforms that will make "smartphones" cheaper to make and hopefully cheaper to buy.

Yes I started a thread about that in the toughts forum when I received the press release.
Supports PalmOS5, new versions of CE, Symbian and Linux.