View Full Version : Phone Edition Users - Raise Your Hand!

Jason Dunn
02-03-2003, 07:13 PM
As an ex-Pocket PC Phone Edition user (<a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=7214">cracked screen</a> :cry:) who's currently using a Dell Axim, I've recently been living on "both sides" - the connected device side, and the stand-alone device. So here's a simple survey question: which type of device do you own?<br /><br />(For the purposes of this survey, I only want to know if you use a Phone Edition device or a regular Pocket PC - I know you can turn a normal Pocket PC into a connected device via Bluetooth, but I want to know how many people own the "hard wired" devices. Remember that if you want to see the survey results without voting, click on the discuss link)

feo
02-03-2003, 07:19 PM
I own one of the 'frankenstein' toshibas, where do I click?
You know the convinience of a single unit, but without the cool features...

-- It is the same at the audiobox, marketed by sprint.

Sslixtis
02-03-2003, 07:21 PM
I'll be joining PPCPE users this summer when the new CDMA units hit the markets. :wink:

GuSo
02-03-2003, 07:22 PM
I owe an iPAQ 5455 and a Bluetooth Sony Ericsson t68 i conect it via GPRS

Jason Dunn
02-03-2003, 07:29 PM
I own one of the 'frankenstein' toshibas, where do I click?
You know the convinience of a single unit, but without the cool features...

Ah yes...I didn't account for people like YOU. :wink: :lol: It's not a Phone Edition device, so I'd say a "normal" Pocket PC.

brntcrsp
02-03-2003, 07:29 PM
As soon as we move beyond the first generation hardware, with a new OS I'll definitely be joining the ranks. I'm hoping to see a PE device with a better screen, more RAM, and at least SDIO (bluetooth would be a plus, but not necessary).

feo
02-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Tell that to Sprint though. They argue it IS the same.
They won't ever be getting anymore of my business though...

Master O'Mayhem
02-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Another good question is:

If you do use a PPCPE, do you also use another phone as well and use the the PPCPE primarily for GPRS connectivity? I am in this line where I use alot of Bluetooth devices that just dont work with my t-mobile phone yet. My other phones currently are Siemins sx56, T-mobile PPCPE, Blackberry 6710, Nokia 9290, SE P800 + T68i

that_kid
02-03-2003, 07:50 PM
I would love to have an all in one device or at least a bluetooth cdma phone to go with my 5450 and 3970, but sprint pcs and their finite wisdom don't think people want bluetooth connectivity. What's worse is that here in Virginia, verizon's digital service well....SUCKS. "Can you hear me now"?????H#LL NO

Rirath
02-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Yet another phone poll, yet another major trouncing by the PPC group. :)

Ed Hansberry
02-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Basic Pocket PC user here. Currently, I much prefer the T68/iPAQ 3970 bluetooth combo to the current crop of converged divices. Make a Pocket PC Phone the size of the iPAQ h1910 with the standard telephone keypad and then I'll consider it. I guess the buttons could be on the back, but then I don't know how you could do SMS without having to remove the stylus. :?

Gator5000e
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I am waiting for the PPC phones to make the specs of the regular everyday PPCs im memory, screen type, etc. When that happens I will jump on the bandwagn. Anyone know if any such PPCP will be coming out soon? The ones out now seem so out of date.

adamz
02-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I've got the H3970 with the GSM/GPRS expansion pack.. that option is also not listed in the poll. The current PPC phone Edition devices don't have consumer infrared, lotsa memory, separate headset/headphone jacks, integrated bluetooth, etc. But I will definitely upgrade to the next iPAQ H5600 Phone Edition if and when that is released. The all-in-one device is definitely the way to go for me.
Although I do sometimes swap out the SIM card into an older phone in those rare circumstances where carrying a PDA would be inappropriate (for fear of damaging the PDA of course).. such as football, volleyball, paintball, snowboarding and skydiving.

bostonGuy
02-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey All,

I've currently got both a T-Mobile PPCPE and a Treo 270. The beauty of the GSM system is that I can switch my SIM card between the two depending on my mood.

For purposes of this board posting we'll just say it's ALWAYS in the PPCPE.

:wink:

I have had about a dozen PDA's going back to the Wizard B.O.S.S. and including Palm's (before they were Palm's), Newtons, HHPC's, Palm Sized PC's, etc. I've had wireless connectivity on both platforms via Omnisky with my Palm V and a PCMCIA Aircard with my old Ipaq and sleeve. I will say that having had a real combination PDA/Phone for almost a year now I could never go back.

Regardless of OS platform having all your data, contacts, files, etc. ON your phone at all times is the ultimate in convienence. I have a 2hr (each way) bus ride commute every day and I surf, email, chat, watch full length movies (PPCPE shoots and SCORES) all on my phone. And best of all I ALWAYS have "it" with me.

Scenario: I'm at a bar three towns away from home at a Super Bowl party last Sunday. Have my PPCPE of course. SQL Slammer virus starts showing up at my workplace. My boss emails our group an Excel spreadsheet of known SQL servers to disable while they get patched. Since I get paged when either boss emails me (him or the wife) I download his email, open the spreadsheet (another score for PPCPE oever HS 270) and reply back to him the name of the server missing from his list. He was impressed/happy at my fast response, I stayed to finish watching the hated Raiders get sliced and diced.

Would I have had my iPaq with me at a SuperBowl party? Maybe. But I ALWAYS have my phone with me. Is it bigger that most phones these days? You bet, but it's very managable and not much bigger that the phones were 3-5 years ago. If people laugh at it's size i just play them a movie, or show them Tomb Raider and they quiet down pretty quick.

I guess this is my long-winded explanation of why I think not having a connected (Bluetooth is fine - just means another device to clip on your belt or put in your pocket) PDA is going to seem as silly to everybody in a few years as it already does to me.

Thanks,

bostonGuy

Chronos
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
I use my T-Mobile for all PDA and cell phone use. Love it! :lol:

xiadix
02-03-2003, 08:44 PM
I am still against this integration. When (not if) one breaks or has an issue, you would be out both. I am a big fan of BT enabled PPC and phone.

KevG

Qman
02-03-2003, 08:47 PM
I own (3) iPAQs and a T-Mobile, guess what has become my preferred device? :lol:

Regards,
Qman...

DaleReeck
02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
I really wanted to get into the PPC Phone Edition, but it's just not a powerful enough PPC. With 32MB memory, 12 bit screen, no bluetooth (for wireless headphone) and no SDIO (which means no 802.11b connectivity possibilities, which is huge for me), it pales in capabilities with my iPaq 5455/T68i combo. I also am interested in the iPaq 5600 series too when it comes out. Supposedly, the cost of adding GSM/CDMA will be removing the 802.11b capabilities, but at least with an SDIO slot or CF Expansion pack, you can add it, which would be acceptable to me. In fact, it might even be a better option since having the 802.11 as an add-on means that you can upgrade to faster standards in the future. Bluetooth and GSM won't change much in the future, but hopefully faster 802.11 standards will be compatible with PPC's. Not having it built in makes for better upgrade options.

hollis_f
02-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Currently use a 3970, T39m and BT headset.

There's one huge reason why I would never consider one of the current devices - you can't use a BT headset for calls! So you've either got to smear grease over the screen while you hold it to your ear, or carry around a tangle of wires.

Ainvar
02-03-2003, 09:05 PM
I have an iPAQ 3835 with the cf+battery sleeve and also a Toshiba e550G
I use the belkin bluetooth card and connect via gprs with my T68i phone.
I would not want it any other way. There are times I just need a phone and there are other times I want the pda. If I am out clubbing or doing an outside sports activity you will not see my PDA on me at all. But you will see my cell phone with me. I also carry a couple of beater phones with me just incase I think I may damage my T68.

Two T28 phones.

I am a big erisson fan due to there use of li-ion polymer batteries and it is easy to migrate to and from nokia with them also with ere phones.

Jason Lee
02-03-2003, 09:15 PM
As soon as sprint gets the hitachi and samsung ppcpes i'll buy one. I want one soo bad. I was even temped for a time to jump to t-mobile or at&t just so i could have a ppcpe... But i am glad i waited. The new ones look nice. Now i just have to decide hitachi or samsung... :)

Shaun Stuart
02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
I currently use

Ipaq 3870 with T68 or
Nokia Communicator 9210 or
SPV Smartphone.

all depends on the mood im in on the day.

I am about to buy the SE P800, the 5450 and maybe the 1910

DaleReeck
02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
There's another factor too, fragility. As Jason's little adventure indicates, PPC phones are extremely fragile compared to a standard cell phone. I am very careful with my PPC and treat it like china. To me though, something that you use as a phone needs to have a durability to it, like a tool - not a toy. You can't be afraid to take it out because you don't want to scratch it up or use it in adverse conditions because you don't want to damage it. That's what PPC phones are like for me. I am careful about my cell phone too, but not to the point of paranoia like I am about my PPC. There is a huge differnce between a $200 or $300 phone and a $700 PPC.

In fact, it's beginning to make me think hard about if I even want an iPaq 5600. Perhaps having a standard bluetooth cell phone is the best way to go regardless of what comes out in the future.

Naw, I'll get the 5600. The geek in me is just too powerful :)

PetiteFlower
02-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Simple answer--I like my phone small. The smaller the better. I like my PPC the size it is(ok, it's an Axim, it could be a LITTLE smaller *grin*). If my ppc was as small as my phone, it would suck. If my phone was as big as my axim, it would also suck. I like them being separate.

But I do wish my PPC was connected :( Still looking for a way to get bluetooth on both of them without spending more then I spent on the phone and the PPC combined.....

rapidnet_rick
02-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I have a HP PAQ 3835 with bluetooth, and the SonyEricsson T68is...

I think it's the best of both worlds, until it get the 5455....or should I wait for the new XScale CPUs.....maybe they will be better...

Hmmmm...

drop
02-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Don't like phone. I don't why we are still using a mouth piece and a ear piece.

Wonder when Star Trek Communicator would be out. I want to communciate thru subspace. 0X

tigerbyte0
02-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Jason...I use both (E200 at home and the T-Mobile elsewhere). I'm thinking you should have had that as a survey choice.

Jason Dunn
02-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Jason...I use both (E200 at home and the T-Mobile elsewhere). I'm thinking you should have had that as a survey choice.

I said "primary" device, so just pick which one you use the most. :wink:

Venturello
02-03-2003, 11:43 PM
I want a PPC PE badly, but I am waiting for a 64Mb device with wireless, a good screen, and where I can use all my 3635 accesories... anyone guess what ppc I am waiting for?? :roll:

jeffmd
02-04-2003, 01:38 AM
I dont think this poll can tell a whole lot.

I own just a ppc... how ever the reason I dont own a PPC with phone embedded is due to many factors. When I baught my dell, I had a simple phone that I didnt use much allready. Also there really isnt any PPC phones that have as many features of the dell for the same amount of money. also they wernt easily available.

so escentialy the reasons I dont have a phone enabled PPC is cost, availability, and also need. I had a good cell phone, why pay more on a ppc phone to replace it? (This is actually pretty moot now, I did deam the phone crap and picked up the free cell phone that was on the front page here)

GQ19
02-04-2003, 02:48 AM
i personally have a strong feeling that the Samsung SPH-i700 will make believers out of more of us PPC headz.. can't wait.. anyone have ANY idea as to a timeframe? my nextel contract ends at the beginning of April and i want one sooo bad.. :lol: :lol:

DaleReeck
02-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Don't like phone. I don't why we are still using a mouth piece and a ear piece. 0X

Because we don't want other people hearing our coversations? ;)

Wonder when Star Trek Communicator would be out. I want to communciate thru subspace. 0X

They have one already. Get a Treo 270 or 300. When its speakerphone is enabled, it feels just like using an old Star Trek communicator :)

Gerard
02-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Great, another feature killed in the transition to 'mobile'; now I can't even vote. 583 votes, and if my PPC is any indication, not a one of them is from an actual Pocket IE user. Here's what I got, three times tapping the Vote button:

Not Found
The requested URL
/mobile/forums/posting.php was not
found on this server.

Apache/1.3.22 Server at
www.pocketpcthoughts.com Port 80

Gee, guess using a PPC instead of a PPC CE excludes my validity as a voter? No, wait, I fail to be cookied properly here too... when my credit union, library, about 10 other forums for PPC and luthier use, audiobooksforfree.com, PayPal, and a half dozen other sites all remember me every single time. What's up with the 'remember me' checkbox? Is it set up wrong, or what?
As for my non-vote, I'm a PPC user, in case that wasn't clear.

rskoss
02-04-2003, 12:14 PM
I would love to have a ppcpe, but T-Mobile is the only provider offering this device, making it a paperweight in most of the country.

I travel very frequently and Verizon seems to have the best national coverage. Is there any hint of a PPCPE ever making it to Verizon?

msprague
02-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I got the same thing from the mobile front page. But, I just clicked on the "Discuss this story" link and then voted successfully from the non-mobile forum page.

Great, another feature killed in the transition to 'mobile'; now I can't even vote. 583 votes, and if my PPC is any indication, not a one of them is from an actual Pocket IE user. Here's what I got, three times tapping the Vote button:

Not Found
The requested URL
/mobile/forums/posting.php was not
found on this server.

Apache/1.3.22 Server at
www.pocketpcthoughts.com Port 80

Monty Gibson
02-04-2003, 03:30 PM

There's one huge reason why I would never consider one of the current devices - you can't use a BT headset for calls! So you've either got to smear grease over the screen while you hold it to your ear, or carry around a tangle of wires.

Um, that's not true anymore. Jabra has now made a headset available for the PPCPE that allows "cable" free talking while driving. You plug your phone into the "bluetooth" base and put the headset in your ear and you're wireless from then on. So, it's really not an issue any more. I have it and love it.

yawanag
02-04-2003, 06:08 PM
I'd like to address a few comments posted:

1) I'm with Chronos. I use the T-Mobile and Love it!

2) Xiadix, I had the experience of having my pc freeze up and having to send it back. I will say that T-Mobile is excellent about being quick about sending a replacement.

3) To Dale Reeck, I'd say download the program called "Cabinstl" and you'll think that you've got 64MB. I apologize for not having the URL to send, but I found the directions for increasing memory at PPCW.Net. The title of the article is: THOUGHT: The Freedom to Live with 32 MB RAM only.

Hope this helps you with your decision. :lol:

John L. Wells
02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I currently use the Thera by Audiovox from Verizon Wireless in South Carolina. Some thoughts:
#1 First of all all wireless providers in the US are a ripoff. I don't care what plan they have you on when that bill comes its always more than you expected :evil: . Until we get plans like some European models one rate/# mins ,no hidden cost call, anytime voice or data 24/7., I'm not to satisfied. Hopefully competition will take us there. Sorry for the rant.
#2 My unit the PDA-2032 can also be purchased through Sprint.
Likes-all in one is great, size is good.
Dislikes-Watcher software instead of better integration with a true 2002 phone edition software,The record button design is bad and this is a feature I use daily. No quick hard reset feature available,

Like so many of you I've used almost every pocket PC over the past couple years and my heart yearns for HP's latest made into a phone edition.

hollis_f
02-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Um, that's not true anymore. Jabra has now made a headset available for the PPCPE that allows "cable" free talking while driving. You plug your phone into the "bluetooth" base and put the headset in your ear and you're wireless from then on. So, it's really not an issue any more. I have it and love it.Wow! Never seen that before. How long can you leave your PPCPE switched on with that attached then?

PetiteFlower
02-07-2003, 05:02 AM
It doesn't even have to be a ppcpe, it is supposed to work with any cell phone with a 2.5mm headphone jack.

rskoss
02-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I saw the Jabra unit at Radio Shack. It's much bigger than you'd think it would be. Reviews indicate that the battery life just sucks.