View Full Version : Internet Access via 'Net Connected Desktop.

Cardie
02-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi,

One of the things that all my previous PDA's (Psion and SYmbian OS) have been able to do is to browse the internet through an app called mRouter (or MochaSoftPPP). This means that over IrDA or Bluetooth, I select the access point, and rather than kick in a modem, it uses this link.

My question is whether any bluetooth enabled Pocket PC can do the same trick?

Sven Johannsen
02-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Sure, ActiveSync pass-through is a feature that can be accessed by any PPC2002 PPC and allows you to browse the web, collect email, attach to ftp sites, etc. The ActiveSync feature acts much like the internet connection sharing capabilty in Windows OSs. If you can establish an ActiveSync connection, you can use it for pass-through. It can be a guest connection, BTW.

If you have the right profiles for BT, I would expect you could partner the PPC with PC and then use ICS on the PC to access the net that way. Not sure about this though. I have done a BT ActiveSync connection and used pass-through, but I don't think I have the right profiles for the ICS stuff to work.

IR would work the same. Attach with ActiveSync and use pass-through to surf.

Tom W.M.
02-07-2003, 05:50 AM
Sure, ActiveSync pass-through is a feature that can be accessed by any PPC2002 PPC and allows you to browse the web, collect email, attach to ftp sites, etc. The ActiveSync feature acts much like the internet connection sharing capabilty in Windows OSs.
But can you use this feature with non-PocketPC devices? I want use this feature with an old Handheld PC, but can't seem to find an option in the ActiveSync menus. The machine is running Windows CE 2.11. I have the latest version of ActiveSync installed on the host machine.
Alternatively, could I create a DCC TCP/IP network between the host and guest HPC using a serial cable and share through that?