View Full Version : Adding wireless to LinkSys Home Network

beckp
02-03-2003, 02:46 PM
I currently have a Linksys 4 port router/switch (BEFSR41) for my home network. I would like to add wireless access but keep my exhisting router in place. Do I need another wireless router (BEFW11S4) or just the wireless access point (WAP11)? I don't need to add any additiona wired ports to my network.

Sven Johannsen
02-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Technically you only need the AP, but you'll find you can get a Linksys AP/Router/Switch for not much more (maybe $20). You could just get the whole new thing and save the current box as a backup, or you could cascade them as I have done. I have a DMZ PC between the routers that can get infected without endangering the rest of my network.

Sooner Al
02-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I currently have a Linksys 4 port router/switch (BEFSR41) for my home network. I would like to add wireless access but keep my exhisting router in place. Do I need another wireless router (BEFW11S4) or just the wireless access point (WAP11)? I don't need to add any additiona wired ports to my network.

I simply added an ORiNOCO RG-1000 about 18 months ago to my existing home 100 Mbps LAN that used a BEFSR41 to share my old cable ISP. Here is my existing home 10/100 Mbps LAN which now uses a dialup ISP. I only use my BEFSR41 as a 10/100 Mbps switch in this current LAN configuration...

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/The_Illustrated_Network.html

67stang
02-03-2003, 06:30 PM

you'll probably see that it's easier in terms of wiring to just get the wifi router. The linksys works great for me (and for my neighbor apparantly :roll: see my other thread about "leaching")

Sooner Al
02-03-2003, 10:26 PM
you'll probably see that it's easier in terms of wiring to just get the wifi router. The linksys works great for me (and for my neighbor apparantly :roll: see my other thread about "leaching")

One thing to keep in mind is that a wired 10BaseT network can run at 100 Mbps versus 802.11b running at 11 Mbps tops... I personally have all of my XP Pro desktops wired and only use wireless for my iPAQ and occasionally my HP laptop. Most of the time my laptop is using its 100 Mbps ethernet NIC to connect to my home LAN. Also, wired is a lot more secure versus wireless...

Just some things to think about...

67stang
02-03-2003, 10:38 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that a wired 10BaseT network can run at 100 Mbps versus 802.11b running at 11 Mbps tops... I personally have all of my XP Pro desktops wired and only use wireless for my iPAQ and occasionally my HP laptop. Most of the time my laptop is using its 100 Mbps ethernet NIC to connect to my home LAN. Also, wired is a lot more secure versus wireless...

Just some things to think about...

when you use a wireless router you still have 10BaseT (100mbps) between the wired machines. Its only the devices using the wifi, i.e. using a wireless nic, that are at 11mbps.