View Full Version : Compactflash Expansion Pack Plus

beejaypee
02-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure if I should/need to buy the CF Expansion Pack Plus (CF+) along with an iPAQ 397. I'd appreciate it if you who have a CF+ would answer some questions and leave your general impression on the item. Thanks very much.

1. With the CF+ (and CF card installed) in use, can there be an SD card installed in the 3975 and in use at the same time? Or is it one or the other?

2. Is there a need for a carrying case in addition to the CF+ (or does the CF+ suffice)?

3. Do you like or dislike the CF+ ?

bridgecrosser
02-03-2003, 04:19 PM
I use the CF+ and love it. You can use your card and it has a protective screen cover, too.

Enjoy!

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 04:26 PM
My answers are similar to bridgecrosser's:

1. Yes, you can still use a SD card. One of the cards has a "2" after the name (usually the CF card).

2. For me, the hardcover is enough, and keeps the device still pocketable.

3. I like it very much, especially the second battery, which makes a big difference in the iPaq's life (3870 in my case).

--janak

Birdman
02-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I have an older 36xx series ipaq with no integrated slot so while I can only answer part of your question, I can say that since I bought the CF+ pack it has given my ipaq a "new lease on life". I used to switch between carrying my naked ipaq around in my old Palm case and using the CF expansion pack and my EB slipper case. For obvious reasons, I preferred using the expansion pack because I would store lots of stuff on the CF card, but it was quite the brick with the CD sleeve and even my relatively slim EB slipper case. As the ipaq started to get older (2 years +), my battery life has started to noticeably fade and I got to the point where I would have to remember to bring my charger home from the office because I could not make it through the weekend without a charge.

Now that I have the CF+ pack, I no longer need any case because the cover of the CF+ pack is perfect protection for the ipaq. I always have my "stuff" with me because the CF card is always in and the extra battery has been fantastic. This past weekend I did some web browsing and email downloading while connected to my cel phone, I did lots of Avantgo reading and some music playing, etc. and the battery life was fantastic. I could never have done all that with just my old battery.

The only downside is that the CF+pack is a little on the heavy side. It's not a huge issue but I do still pine for something a little more "svelte". I like the CF slot mainly because of the ability to use my CF modem. If I bought a newer ipaq with the integrated SD slot, I am not sure I would rush to also get the CF+ pack unless you have an absolute need for the CF modem (or other CF uses). I understand the battery life on the newer units is quite a bit better than on my old 36xx series and 90% of the time, I would only use the slot for memory, which the SD can handle fine.

If you know, though, that you will need the CF slot, then the CF+ pack is great. (Of course, you could always get a Dell for less $$ and the form factor will be about the same as the naked ipaq.)

Pony99CA
02-03-2003, 06:45 PM
2. Is there a need for a carrying case in addition to the CF+ (or does the CF+ suffice)?

To elaborate on what others have said, you don't need a case, but it depends on how you want to carry your iPAQ. If you want to carry it in a pocket or bag, the CF+ sleeve should be sufficient.

However, if you want to wear your iPAQ on your belt, you'll still need a case or holster (or at least a clip that you attach to the sleeve).

Steve