View Full Version : Problem with Activesync

beartrap
02-02-2003, 01:45 AM
Hi,
I just got my new Axim yesterday. I was a Palm OS user and I am trying to get things set up to sync with my computer. I have installed ActiveSync 3.6 and gone through the process to set it up to sync with my Axim. Everything seems to work fine but when I attempt to sync I get the following messages:
"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client"

I did set Outlook as the default mail client and it made no difference. The other message was:
"Synchronization cannot be started because you are not able to log onto the network and access information. Restart your desktop computer and synchronize again."

It will sync with AvantGo but not with Outlook. I have tried restarting several times and even did a repair on Office XP. I am running Windows XP Home edition. Any assistance that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-02-2003, 04:43 AM
did you already have outlook installed when you installed Activesync? You might try to uninstall Activesync and then reinstall. might try the one that came with your dell thats one the disk. it is version 3.5, heard some people have had some problems with 3.6... dont know if its the same though.
Hope this helps. :)

beartrap
02-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Outlook was installed and working when I installed ActiveSync. I have tried an uninstall and reinstall and also version 3.5 but with no success, very very frustraing.

mekmek
02-04-2003, 07:48 AM
I ran into this "Synchronization cannot be started because you are not able to log on to the network and access information." problem as well. A search on Google newsgroups pointed me to this Microsoft support page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q305544

Apparently the message is because the Outlook PST data file is corrupt, not because there is any problem with Activesync or your network access. This does not mean Outlook stops working - it just means there is something corrupt in the data structure causing trouble with Activesync. The solution is to create a new Outlook profile with a new PST file, and then import the contents of your old PST back into Outlook.

Before you do this you should delete the Activesync partnership and then create a new one after you have rebuilt the Outlook configuration - just to make sure Activesync isn't confused by your temporary lack of an Outlook profile to connect to.

The Microsoft link above has these steps in more detail.

I ran into this problem suddenly one day after weeks of no trouble with Activesync. I was loathe to rebuild my Outlook configuration and tried shortcuts to fix the PST file, such as the Scanpst.exe tool. But in the end I had to go through the new profile-import PST file process and now it all works again.

I don't know what caused the problem - I don't have that large of a PST file, but I do use Outlook all the time. If you search the PockeyPC newsgroups via Google you will see that the are a number of references to this error message.

beartrap
02-05-2003, 03:50 AM
That was the problem, a corrupt PST file. I looked at the link that you gave and did a reinstall and everything is working great! Thanks for your assistance with this issue. :D

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Glad to hear you got this resolved... had me stumped!

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2003, 08:03 PM
OK - I will try this later as I have this problem too. See here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8138&highlight=outlook+synchronization+cannot+started

Jonathon Watkins
03-23-2003, 02:19 AM
OK - it fixed it. Thanks guys! :mrgreen: