View Full Version : Looks like a hard reset

hamslay
02-02-2003, 01:03 AM
After an afternoon/evening of installing new software and playing around with new bits and pieces on my week-old H5450, the damn thing has crashed bigtime and it looks like it's due for a hard rest. :cry:

I was connecting to my Windows 2000 server for the first time with Terminal Services and showing my wife how cool it was to open documents in Excel on my file server upstairs from my Pocket PC in the lounge, when the screen got totally corrupted and stopped responding. I did a soft reset but when it came back the screen was still messed up even though by touching the screen I can tell that everything is actually "working" underneath! I have no idea how it's done it, but the soft reset seems to be working apart from the screen - I can hear my apps opening and closing if I touch the right places, but the screen still shows the carnage from Terminal Services crashing.

I guess you guys don't know a magic keystroke or something that will reset the screen? I'm so close to having everything setup perfectly, but it's looking more and more like a hard reset! :cry:

hamslay
02-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Wow, that was freaky!!!

I put the iPAQ into the cradle and was able to do a backup, so it does seem only the screen was hosed. When the backup was done, I took the device out of the cradle and pushed the off button. When it went off, the display stayed corrupted, with lines and dots all over the place and took about 15 seconds to slowly fade out to nothing! I switched back on, and the damn corrupted Terminal Services screen was still there. I switched off again and this time only 10 seconds for the screen to fade to grey random pixel by random pixel. After several attempts, I just flipped the battery out, counted to 5 and put it back in. When I pressed the power button I got that lovely HP logo and everything was back to normal. I don't know what battery was supporting things while I had the main battery out, and how long it would have kept going, but I was suprised when it was all still there!

That was a horrible half hour. Good to see it doesn't just look like Windows, it really IS Windows.

that_kid
02-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Sorry to hear that it hosed up on you, but at the same time I'm glad you didn't have to hard reset. The 5450 has a built in backup battery that keeps the memory up while the main battery is out. I'm not sure how long it will last but i had my 5450 apart for about an hour and when I put it back together and powered it up everything was still there. Hmm....guess I'll have to TS into one of the servers to see what happens with mine. I know TS worked great on my 3970.

vincentsiaw
02-02-2003, 06:23 AM
all this scarry stuff happening to 5450 series frightened me up..., kind of wondering if i should buy one orr just wait for the moment, as for now, i'm using the terminal service client on the 3955, and its works great everytime :!:

hamslay
02-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Well thank God for the backup battery!

This morning I tried Terminal Services a few times without problems. I ran Excel and Access as before, plus closed the Window without logging out of the server etc. and couldn't recreate the problem. I think, therefore, that it was just another one of those 5450 funnies (I've done 2 hard resets in the 10 days I've had the device and about 5 warm resets a day). This is with installing new software like PocketTV and stuff every day so I'm not too suprised.