View Full Version : Secure Digital Questions

cabanaboy51
02-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Hey I should be getting my Dell Axim soon... My plan was to buy a SD card for memory purposes and then buy a wi-fi CF card. I just had some questions:

1- Did they drop that whole secure music initiative with SD cards? Can i use a SD card to store and play MP3's?

2- What is this SDIO thing that i keep reading about in the forums (sorry i'm new to this)

3 - Is 256mb the largest for SD or have they made any larger?

4 - Is there any chance of a SD wi-fi card?

Thanks a ton
-Brian

WyattEarp
02-01-2003, 03:24 AM
1- Did they drop that whole secure music initiative with SD cards? Can i use a SD card to store and play MP3's?

2- What is this SDIO thing that i keep reading about in the forums (sorry i'm new to this)

3 - Is 256mb the largest for SD or have they made any larger?

4 - Is there any chance of a SD wi-fi card?

1. No they haven't dropped it. It just isn't being used right now. Yes, you can listen and store MP3, WMA, Real and all the other formats to an SD card.

2. SDIO (Secure Digital Input/Output): allows the SD slot to have input/output capabilities just like the CF slots. Devices like GPS, WiFi need to send and recieve information a different way than when your just listening to music from it.

3. SD comes in 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB & 1GB (may not be available yet)

4. Coming soon. Socket and SanDisk to be some of the first.

That should clear things up a bit. :D

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-01-2003, 03:41 AM
On the Dell the SD slot is on the side. So even if you could get a SDIO wifi card or something like it, it wouldn't be a very good spot for it. Kind of in the way.
I have a 256mb sd card with my programs, games, and music on it. I also have a 256mb compact flash card that i have a couple of movies on. Then i use a Netgear MA701 compact flash wifi card. The great thing is that i can pull out my movies on the compact flash and put in the wifi card to check my email or just surf and still have all of my programs. :D

Janak Parekh
02-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Don't worry about SDIO, BTW -- the Axim doesn't support it, and with the CF, you don't really need it.

--janak

whodat
02-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I guess this is a good time/place to ask my SD questions: 1) What does the 'secure' part of the name refer to? Are files on a SD card more secure than on a CF card?
2) What are the downsides to a SD card (compared to a CF card) other than cost?

Thanks.

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-01-2003, 06:13 PM
More than anything you will find a switch on an SD card that the MMC cards dont have. When you flip this switch it will write protect the card much like an old 3 1/2" floppy.
I also understand that software manufactures can put programs on the cards and not include the switch. You can then run the program from the card but not alter the data... Like a CD. I have seen a few of these but never tried any.
As far as a downside goes... Price.
They seem just as fast and are alot smaller.
Hope this helps :wink:

jdavid
02-01-2003, 06:53 PM
i have an SD question, I have a 128 mb sandisk card for my Axim. I've used it to put mp3s and some documents on it

When I open pocket word, I select All Folders, but the SD card is not listed there, basically all the files that are in the axim memory show. I can go to file explorer and find the word files that are the SD card and click on them from there, but not directly from Pocket Word.

Anyone experience this? is this just a shortcoming in the software?

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2003, 07:02 PM
i have an SD question, I have a 128 mb sandisk card for my Axim. I've used it to put mp3s and some documents on it

When I open pocket word, I select All Folders, but the SD card is not listed there, basically all the files that are in the axim memory show. I can go to file explorer and find the word files that are the SD card and click on them from there, but not directly from Pocket Word.

Anyone experience this? is this just a shortcoming in the software?

Make a folder called "my documents" and put the files in there...

Steve

jdavid
02-01-2003, 07:14 PM
thanks that worked great