View Full Version : RPGCommando - Role Playing Game Tools

Jason Dunn
01-31-2003, 09:27 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.webcommando.com/rpgcommando/' target='_blank'>http://www.webcommando.com/rpgcommando/</a><br /><br /></div>"Welcome to RPGCommando, a new product offering from WebCommando. This site is dedicated to computer and handheld utilities for gamers who enjoy RPG's (Role Playing Games). I'm talking about the kind you play with paper, pencil, and your imagination, not the computer kind. These utilities were designed based on our love for games like Dungeon and Dragons, (from Wizards of the Coast), Star Fleet Battles (from Task Force Games), Twilight 2000 (of CDW), Rifts (of Palladium Books), and at least fifty other games we've enjoyed throughout the years. Here at RPGCommando, we are excited about what the handheld computers (Palm and PocketPC) can do for gamers. These devices offer just the right foot-print for gamers on the go. We also have tools that are designed to run on PC's, but think that laptops are still a bit unwieldy for the close personal interaction (not to mention the beer, pop and chips that might get spilled on them!) found in gaming."<br /><br />If you've got "double geek power" by being both a Pocket PC geek and an RPG geek, brother, this site is for you! :lol: I still think of myself as an RPG fan even though I haven't rolled a d20 in years. If you don't know what that means, you won't understand this Web site either. RPGCommando is a storehouse of several useful programs for RPG fans, and I could only imagine how useful a Pocket PC would have been back in my DMing days. Ah, the memories...now I tend to be into CRPGs like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=jasondunn-20&path=tg/detail/-/B00004TSXC/qid%3D1044044658/sr%3D8-2">Neverwinter Nights</a> (send me a PM if you want to game sometime).<br /><br />Any of you out there using a Pocket PC with your RPGs? If so, how?

ExtremeSIMS
01-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Übergeeks unite!

Yes, I do use mine for RPG. I used to store my NPCs in PDF form. Now trying to find a good die roller. :)

Rirath
01-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Only used a PPC for CRPGs... writing down where stuff is, stuff to do, etc. Heck, PIMs and tasks aren't just for real life events ya know. :lol:

Must admit, the idea of playing an old style RPG on a PPC sounds quite interesting. I'd never be able to pull it off around here though, no one else is that geeky. As said, many geek points to the people of this website and anyone who uses it.

malcolmsharp
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Last time I played, I did. Me and a buddy set up a dice roller in JavaScript, and it worked out pretty well.

Good to see they aren't charging for the roller. I doubt anybody would buy it, but it would be a fun download if I were still playing. I liked the WAP roller too.

PetiteFlower
01-31-2003, 10:19 PM
I use the free version of their die roller, it's pretty good. I only use it when having to roll more dice then I own though. I have one spell in my D&D game that requires me to roll 26 D4! But for most rolls, there's just something satisfying about doing it the old fashioned way!

I looked at the page for their Character Sheet program, though, and the reviews posted there are both pretty bad....might want to wait for the new version. Personally, I have all my character sheets on my PPC as Word docs, I already had them on my PC and they translated remarkably well when I migrated them to the PPC; very little reformatting was needed.

Yes, I am a massive dork!

Programmer
02-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Well I have to confess something here.

I started a company called RealmsCrafters a couple of years ago to do RPG software for Palms. We decided to switch over to Pocket PC just after Pocket PC 2002 came out. It was called RPG Companion.

We had a great scripting language written specifically for RPG gaming called Medusa. It was actually a great idea but unfortunately Real Life™ took over and we had to stop production.

www.RPGCompanion.com I think is still up but hasn't been touched for well over a year. :oops:

Jason Dunn
02-01-2003, 12:14 AM
I started a company called RealmsCrafters a couple of years ago to do RPG software for Palms. We decided to switch over to Pocket PC just after Pocket PC 2002 came out. It was called RPG Companion.

Wow, that looks cool! Too bad you had to give it up - I bet you could have made a good go at it. RPG'ers are a niche market, but they love technology too... ;-)

HowlingBears
02-01-2003, 01:41 AM
We're a niche market, but there's definite interest. More in retaining character sheets, I would think. Even geekier: I do Live Action Role Playing. I always have my character stored on my Jornada, so I never have to worry about where it is. I just update it when I update my Story Teller's hardcopy. There's also a program floating around somewhere to throw Rock/Paper/Scissors for you, if you're no good at it. (It's how challenges/conflicts are resolved in a live-action setting, when dice would be cumbersome to the story.)

Still, I think one of the main difficulties in designing such support programs is doing so without infringing on their copyrighted material. I'd love to be able to just open a character sheet generator on my pocket pc, and click on a skills section to choose "I want this many points in these specific skills." But you'd pretty much have to be the original game developer to produce something that detailed without infringing on their copyrights...

Programmer
02-01-2003, 02:22 AM
But you'd pretty much have to be the original game developer to produce something that detailed without infringing on their copyrights...

Actually with the D20 system you should be able to do this kind of thing. But unfortunately there were (are ??) issues with the licensing. It is an open system but when I last looked there were issues with software needing to be completely open. Makes it hard to do a comerical system.

Robert

ExtremeSIMS
02-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Well I have to confess something here.

We had a great scripting language written specifically for RPG gaming called Medusa. It was actually a great idea but unfortunately Real Life? took over and we had to stop production.

www.RPGCompanion.com I think is still up but hasn't been touched for well over a year. :oops:

I remember when I saw the posts on the old Eric Noah site. I wondered what happened to development.

If you ever kick it back off, let us know! A good chunk of my old college group have PDAs, and the group I play with from work (AOL) all have PDAs. There is definite interest in a well-written app!