View Full Version : What internet browser do you use?

dean_shan
01-31-2003, 04:39 AM
I'm wondering what browser you use most often for internet surfing. I like to use safari on my iBook.

RickP in AZ
01-31-2003, 05:27 AM
I use IE just because it is there and by now I am familiar with its operation... I would love to go back to Mac as from playing with it I love OSX but I can't afford to switch back.

From what little I know of it, I am *really* intrigued by Safari... Time to play the research game and learn about why it's so darn hot.

TopDog
01-31-2003, 09:04 AM
As a Norwegian I feel obligaded to use Opera :-)

And with the 7.0 version it really kicks ass :-)

EvilOne
01-31-2003, 01:50 PM
I actually have to use IE6 and Netscape 7 when I am at work to do testing of internal sites. So since I am at work more than home, I use both pretty much equally.

Rirath
01-31-2003, 04:45 PM
I won't use a thing except IE. I spend an insane amount of time on the web and a lot of that is designing / developing, so I don't want or need the problems of Netscape or Opera. (Debate it all you want, I still won't use em.)

That said, I use Crazy Browser. The underlaying IE render engine combined with the tabbed browsing, popup stopping fun of Netscape is unbeatable in my eyes. Only thing it won't do is true popup windows. 99/100 times it simply opens a new tab which is good enough for me. (Popups -rarely- need to be popups)

For a lot more info there's a rant (http://www.rirath.com/nav.php?p=rants&cat=software) over at my site, or you could just check out the official site (http://www.crazybrowser.com/).

Pony99CA
01-31-2003, 11:02 PM
I use Mozilla. I love the tabbed browsing and built-in pop-up stopper (as part of the great feature of deciding what Javascript features you want to ignore). You don't need to download any add-ins (of course, you do have to download Mozilla itself). Mozilla also has better bookmark editing and option handling than IE, I think.

It would be nice if Mozilla had the ability to tailor options based on the site you're visiting and some content recognition (although I don't use that), like IE.

Supporting open software (and not the Microsoft hegemony) is nice, too. I will use IE 6 if some site is designed so badly that it doesn't work in Mozilla.

But, according to Rirath, I'm not sane. :roll:

Steve

Buddha
02-01-2003, 12:11 AM
I use IE and K-meleon (mozilla based). Mostly I use IE but for some things I prefer to use K-meleon.

Weyoun6
02-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Since I'm a web designer on the side, I use IE, Mozilla, and Opera. (Oh and a little Mosaic, just to be weird) Each is better for certain things. Never heard of Safari though. BTW I dont touch Netscape with a 50 foot pole.

Pony99CA
02-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Since I'm a web designer on the side, I use IE, Mozilla, and Opera. (Oh and a little Mosaic, just to be weird) Each is better for certain things. Never heard of Safari though.

Safari is the new Macintosh browser announced at MacWorld. I think it's based off the KDE browser.

BTW I dont touch Netscape with a 50 foot pole.

Out of curiosity, why not? Netscape 4 is still out there, I've heard, and Netscape 7 is about the same as Mozilla.

Steve

dean_shan
02-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Safari is the new Macintosh browser announced at MacWorld. I think it's based off the KDE browser.

For its Web page rendering engine, Safari draws on KHTML and KJS software from the KDE open source project.

And it works quite well. I like it because it is a very simple browser. I don't need all the extra frills, I just want to surf. I also like how it has a google search bar built in.

Weyoun6
02-02-2003, 08:12 AM
BTW I dont touch Netscape with a 50 foot pole.

Out of curiosity, why not? Netscape 4 is still out there, I've heard, and Netscape 7 is about the same as Mozilla.

There are several reasons. For one, I am a strong believer in the web standards project (http://www.webstandards.org), which tries to get rid of browsers that are not fully W3C compliant. NS4 is about the worst browser out there. Although Netscape 7 is similar, it still isnt as good as Mozilla. I am tired of Netscape releasing below par browsers. Netscape 6 was practially a virus on my computer. And then I can throw out the spurious argument about Netscape really being AOL, but thats not the real reason. Look, if netscape comes out with a quality product that makes me want to change from IE/Opera/Mozilla, I will try them.

I will now go play with my copy of mosaic communications navigator .98b :)

PS. Looks like Opera might stop developing for MacOS because of Safari.
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-982314.html

Janak Parekh
02-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Although Netscape 7 is similar, it still isnt as good as Mozilla.
Just to be a bit pedantic, Netscape 7.01 is built on top of Mozilla 1.0.2, so it is Mozilla + the AOL icon + a bunch of other minor stuff. It's not nearly as bad as previous iterations of Netscape, although I myself use Mozilla (1.2.1 rocks!) 99% of the time, and IE the remaining 1%.

--janak

vincentsiaw
02-02-2003, 05:17 PM
i use IE because it's free, but i will try something else if it's comes free :P

Janak Parekh
02-02-2003, 05:17 PM
i use IE because it's free, but i will try something else if it's comes free :P
Uh, both Mozilla and Netscape are free too. :D Opera's not.

--janak

Weyoun6
02-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Opera is free - if you can stand the ad's

felixdd
02-03-2003, 01:57 AM
avantbrowser

www.avantbrowser.com

I can do middle mouse-button to open new links, close windows, and use mouse gestures to go forward/backward on sites.

dean_shan
02-04-2003, 08:21 AM
avantbrowser

Yeah avantbrowser is good. I like how it has a pop up blocker.

PetiteFlower
02-07-2003, 12:05 AM
I used to be a die-hard Netscape user/IE hater. I still don't like the way that IE is SO integrated with windows that it's practically impossible to get the thing off your computer. But, I finally realized that there were just too many pages that I couldn't view correctly in Netscape and it was getting on my nerves so I finally made the switch. IE starts up faster, doesn't crash hardly at all(compared to Netscape), and shows everything it's supposed to show the way it was programmed. The only thing that Netscape had that IE doesn't that I liked was the right-click menu option Open Frame in New Window. I wish I could do that sometimes. But usually that's not even a very big deal. IE is just one less thing I have to think about.

Kati Compton
02-07-2003, 12:45 AM
I was a Netscape user for a long time, mainly because I don't like my browser decisions being made for me. So I suppose you could say I used Netscape out of spite. When I started to encounter a number of web pages that wouldn't work right or would even crash the browser, I switched resentfully to IE.

I used that for a long time because of the Y! Companion integration. I had maybe 4 different computers I wanted to use, and wanted to easily share bookmarks.

But recentlyish I switched to Mozilla 1.2.1, which has been nice. I put my benchmarks on the 3 computers I use now, and am just dealing with it.

The main problem I have with Mozilla is that it sometimes doesn't handle downloading of files the way it was intended to work for a page. For example, trying to download a single theme from PocketThemes just "displays" the file as ASCII in the browser. When a site directs you to a page that displays while a file downloads, you can't right click and do "save as", which is a bit annoying. The way I've solved it for that particular site is to add themes to your basket and download as a .zip file.

I know that technically this has to do with the code not being quite to spec, but I think this is a frequent enough occurance that I would prefer that newer versions of Mozilla just handle it instead of relying on the standard... It's annoying to have to start up IE just to download something.

qmrq
09-05-2003, 01:56 AM
I used to be a die-hard Netscape user/IE hater. I still don't like the way that IE is SO integrated with windows that it's practically impossible to get the thing off your computer.

Don't use windows! :twisted:

easylife
09-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Whoa, talk about digging up old threads! 8)

Why not link to your new poll with more options?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17599

qmrq
09-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Eep, this old thread is above mine now, hmm. Anyhoo, everyone vote here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17599) for new poll with more options. :D