View Full Version : Wanting to allow our HP 3970's to access our Exchange Server..Possible?

ssprague
01-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Hello all,

I would be interested to know if the above is possible. We have 12 HP 3970's that we would like to use in obtaining our mail when in the field. Is this possible? Ive seen no way to actually configure the 3970 for our Exchange settings.

Thanks in advance..

Steve Sprague

seanturner
01-30-2003, 09:58 PM
I think you should be able to get your PPC's to acess the email via the built in email application and POP3; however, I tried to set that up on my server and for some reason only the Administrator account will authenticate correctly.

Also, I believe you can use Mobile Information Server to sync directly with the Exchange server (however there are rumors that Exchange 2003 no longer needs MIS to talk to a PPC). If someone could the Ex 2k3 issue up I would be quite appreciative...

that_kid
01-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Hello all,

I would be interested to know if the above is possible. We have 12 HP 3970's that we would like to use in obtaining our mail when in the field. Is this possible? Ive seen no way to actually configure the 3970 for our Exchange settings.

Thanks in advance..

Steve Sprague
If you have imap or pop3 enabled on your exchange server you can setup pocket inbox to get your mail by either of those means. Note that both pop3 and imap sends username/passwords in clear text so if security is an issue you may want to use vpn(pptp vpn is a part of ppc2002 os). If you are running exchange 2000 you can also use outlook web access with pocket internet explorer but let me warn you that much scrolling required. I connect to my exachange server using pocket outlook and it works great.

jeffdiogenes
01-30-2003, 10:23 PM
see if "allow dial in" on the dial-in access tab in the AD Users & Computers affects the authentication?

I think you should be able to get your PPC's to acess the email via the built in email application and POP3; however, I tried to set that up on my server and for some reason only the Administrator account will authenticate correctly.

Also, I believe you can use Mobile Information Server to sync directly with the Exchange server (however there are rumors that Exchange 2003 no longer needs MIS to talk to a PPC). If someone could the Ex 2k3 issue up I would be quite appreciative...

Birdman
01-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Is "pocket outlook" a separate standalone program. I am not familiar with it. I get my email while out of the office through dial-up and either do a remote AS right to my desktop computer (which I leave on, and locked) or using IMAP4.

Janak Parekh
01-31-2003, 12:22 AM
If you have imap or pop3 enabled on your exchange server you can setup pocket inbox to get your mail by either of those means. Note that both pop3 and imap sends username/passwords in clear text so if security is an issue you may want to use vpn(pptp vpn is a part of ppc2002 os).
Actually, I'm not sure about this -- there's a domain field in the PPC Inbox account setup screen, which leads me to believe that PPC 2002 supports NTLM-encrypted authentication. I haven't researched it extensively, though.

--janak

that_kid
01-31-2003, 02:49 AM
Janak Parekh Actually, I'm not sure about this -- there's a domain field in the PPC Inbox account setup screen, which leads me to believe that PPC 2002 supports NTLM-encrypted authentication. I haven't researched it extensively, though.

--janak
if so let me know, that will be very intersting if it is.

Janak Parekh
01-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Tried a couple quick Google searches, and this result (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ntlm+inbox+pocket+pc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23uaHdQNLBHA.988%40tkmsftngp02&rnum=3) leads me to believe it's the case. However, I haven't seen anything definitive yet.

One interesting way to test it out would be to turn off plaintext authenticaion on Exchange POP/IMAP. I haven't tried doing that in a long time, but I'd assume it's fairly straightforward to do via the System Manager in Exch2k.

--janak

that_kid
02-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Tried a couple quick Google searches, and this result (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ntlm+inbox+pocket+pc&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23uaHdQNLBHA.988%40tkmsftngp02&rnum=3) leads me to believe it's the case. However, I haven't seen anything definitive yet.

One interesting way to test it out would be to turn off plaintext authenticaion on Exchange POP/IMAP. I haven't tried doing that in a long time, but I'd assume it's fairly straightforward to do via the System Manager in Exch2k.

--janak
Well the other day i was thinking of it and I ran a packet sniffer on the networked and used my ppc to connect to exchange via imap. After looking over the packets, I didn't see username/password which is good. I was able to look through the packets and read the mail headers and such.