View Full Version : Speed & Bandwidth Optimizations

Jason Dunn
01-30-2003, 05:28 PM
We're making some site optimizations try to and reduce the server load, and the bandwidth we're chewing through, so you'll see some minor changes around here. I've had to reduce the "friends" zone from 14 slots to six, because in January alone it used up 10 GB of bandwidth. 8O To those in the zone, I apologize, but unless everyone wants to start hosting their own button, I don't have much choice. Onward and upward!

jet8810
01-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Jason, what must you do to be in the friends section anyway? Does it cost money? Could you PM me with whatever details I would need or email me at [email protected]?

Thanks

Jason Dunn
01-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Jason, what must you do to be in the friends section anyway? Does it cost money? Could you PM me with whatever details I would need or email me at [email protected]?

Since others will no doubt ask, I'll respond here.

1) It's free.

2) I've been rejecting new offers in order to keep the % of random load above 24%, but now with six slots it's about 10%. If I open it up again, I'll announce it on the front page.

3) We're just about to bring a new links engine online, so you can add your site in there.

pocketpcdude1024
01-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Jason-
Attach the images to a free website account and link to them there! That way, you can have as many "friends" as you want without GBs of bandwidth! :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Attach the images to a free website account and link to them there! That way, you can have as many "friends" as you want without GBs of bandwidth! :lol:
At one point, that would have been a workable idea. However, nowadays the free websites have strict bandwidth restrictions. Broken gifs would be bad. :) Besides, it's probably forbidden in the free sites' TOS...

--janak

Jason Dunn
01-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Jason-

That would be a little immoral don't you think? They're not really "free" - someone has to pay for the bandwidth. :wink:

pocketpcdude1024
01-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Jason-

That would be a little immoral don't you think? They're not really "free" - someone has to pay for the bandwidth. :wink:

It would be neat to put them on the PalmSource server. It wouldn't be immoral then, would it? :wink:

jet8810
01-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Jason, btw I would like to ask you a few questions. Should I PM you or email you about that?