View Full Version : Why is it that...

Traveller
01-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Why is it that we're all keen to buy the lightest and thinnest PDA and once we get it, we bulk it up with cases?

With the exception of a screen protector, I carry my iPaq 3950 naked in my pocket. Anybody else carry their Pocket PC "naked".

Kati Compton
01-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Perhaps it is because many of us know we want to use a case, and try to mitigate the bulkiness by getting a thin PDA? I wouldn't know - I have an Axim. ;)

Traveller
01-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Well after 6 years of several iterations of Newton, Palm, and WinCE machines, I have lots of cases which were bought initially with good intent (expensive device = better protect it). It's just recently I realized that they all just get in the way of the "PDA"experience.

IMHO.

vincentsiaw
01-29-2003, 07:30 PM
i carry my ipaq naked as well, but i tell you, better don't put it on yourback pocket while wearing jeans, you cuold ended up with a broken screen :!:

Traveller
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
The only case/pda combination I had that could fit in the back of my jean pocket (without worrying about screen breakage) was the Palm VX and the custom fit Palm plastic/metal case.

But yes, that is good advice, even for those PDA's that have soft cases.

FredMurphy
01-29-2003, 07:46 PM
It's simple - I've got a Jornada 568 now and used to have a 548. No bulk. No broken screen. :)

No idea why other manufacturers don't have a similar design.

PetiteFlower
01-29-2003, 08:23 PM
You know, I just got mine(an Axim, not at all thin or light!) and carrying it naked makes me nervous; course the cases for them that DON'T add more bulk are damn expensive(over $40) and only made by 1 or 2 companies. I worry about the screen though; so I'm going to have to get something for it eventually. A screen protector won't protect it from pressure damage from being in my pocket!

But I suppose it doesn't bother me enough to use the case that it came with, because then it won't even FIT in my pocket!

Buddha
01-29-2003, 08:43 PM
I use the default jacket with screen protector that came with my ipaq and a writeshield on the screen. I find this doesn't make my Ipaq that much bigger.

I don't like most cases but I prefer to know that my ipaq is safe that's why I use it. I have to admit that I've had a pocket made, in one of my winter coats, specially padded to serve as a protective 'case' for my ipaq. A sort of homemade scott e-vest I guess :)

vincentsiaw
01-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I use the default jacket with screen protector that came with my ipaq and a writeshield on the screen. I find this doesn't make my Ipaq that much bigger.

I don't like most cases but I prefer to know that my ipaq is safe that's why I use it. I have to admit that I've had a pocket made, in one of my winter coats, specially padded to serve as a protective 'case' for my ipaq. A sort of homemade scott e-vest I guess :)

i agrre with the original ipaq default jacket, and you re quite creative with your home made e-vest :idea:

Bloop
01-29-2003, 10:01 PM
:D I too use the leather slip that came with my iPaq, it is pretty much the best thing if you want to put it in your pocket. It also keeps the screen from getting scratched.

:evil: Personally I hate those dam screen protectors they are so dam hard to get on without getting a million air bubbles.

JvanEkris
01-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Personally i use my Loox with a vaja-case. Not much extra thickness, great looks and supurb protection. Loving it every minute. I do use a screenprotector since i had many scratches and marks from ballpoints on my screen (i use a combi-pen most of the time, and rushing things makes you forget things). I use them from the Brando-workshop, havent seen a buble of air yet.

Jaap

griph
01-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Personally i use my Loox with a vaja-case. Not much extra thickness, great looks and supurb protection. Loving it every minute. I do use a screenprotector since i had many scratches and marks from ballpoints on my screen (i use a combi-pen most of the time, and rushing things makes you forget things). I use them from the Brando-workshop, havent seen a buble of air yet.

I have to agree that the vaja cases are excellent at what they do. I have their ivolution case for my XDA - it really does offer good protection and is stunning looks wise. Having dropped and busted a Palm V many years ago I have always used a case. The extra 7mm of thickness for the XDA is of no real impendiment to me - I am sure from this thread that others disagree - but I don't want scratches from coins in my pocket on the outside either - so if I had a Journada 568 or whatever - I would still use a case.

I have also used Writeshields and have had no problems with bubbles or application of same.

Cheers
Griph

Just a user! :-)

lucia316
01-29-2003, 11:36 PM
I use the slip case that came with my e740. I also used the slip case I had with my old Visor Prism. A little thicker, but the minimal thinkness for a bit more protection is worth it, I think. Never really considered a case, just don't want to spend the scratch on that I guess.

L316 8)

Kati Compton
01-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Whenever you guys talk about being able to put a PPC in your pocket I get jealous. Maybe I should just buy mens pants or something (women's pockets aren't big enough for a PPC). Of course, I'd probably look like a dork with a big rectangle shape showing in my pocket. Men have fewer fashion rules. Maybe that's why our pockets are smaller - we're not allowed to carry anything sizey anyway.

griph
01-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Whenever you guys talk about being able to put a PPC in your pocket I get jealous. Maybe I should just buy mens pants or something (women's pockets aren't big enough for a PPC). Of course, I'd probably look like a dork with a big rectangle shape showing in my pocket. Men have fewer fashion rules. Maybe that's why our pockets are smaller - we're not allowed to carry anything sizey anyway.
I have carried my XDA in my jeans front pocket - it's not particularly comfortable though, particularly with the aerial sticking out as it does - and I am always worried in case I get Mae West asking 'Is that a PDA in my pocket or .....' Loose trousers are OK though!

Janak Parekh
01-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Of course, I'd probably look like a dork with a big rectangle shape showing in my pocket.
Well, it depends on your audience. Methinks you'll impress a lot of Thoughts readers with your relentless pursuit of Pocket PC convenience.

I wonder if it also depends on where you further your career, I suspect. If it's sufficiently laid back no one will care. Admittedly, I haven't seen any female faculty around where I am putting Pocket PCs in their jeans, but hey, this is New York. :)

Oh, one last thing: if I carry my iPaq just with a cover pack (perhaps about .7" thick including the screen cover), I can easily put it in a pair of jeans without anything really sticking out. The CF+ sleeve is a bit trickier, but it works in a relaxed pair of jeans just fine, and I've stopped worrying anyway since my wallet sticks out ever-so-slightly. But admittedly, I know nothing about women's "men's jeans". ;)

How about... cargo pants? Or overalls? 8O :lol:

--janak

Kati Compton
01-30-2003, 01:50 AM
I wonder if it also depends on where you further your career, I suspect. If it's sufficiently laid back no one will care. Admittedly, I haven't seen any female faculty around where I am putting Pocket PCs in their jeans, but hey, this is New York. :)

My jeans are too tight for it anyway.

How about... cargo pants? Or overalls? 8O :lol:

Eeek. I'm not a fan of overalls-as-fashion-statement. I know a lot of girls who are, but not me.

Janak Parekh
01-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Eeek. I'm not a fan of overalls-as-fashion-statement. I know a lot of girls who are, but not me.
I'm not saying I am, either. Overalls are extraordinarily rare in the East for anyone above 7 or 8. That's why I suggested cargo pants, which have been in reasonable style in the academic environments... although mostly amongst undergraduates, admittedly.

--janak

dean_shan
01-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Of course, I'd probably look like a dork with a big rectangle shape showing in my pocket.
Yeah I've got made fun of doing that. :D

I like put my e740 in a belt clip case while i'm at school or going around. I use the leather slip case and put it in my pocket when I go to church or if I am dressing up.

Traveller
01-30-2003, 02:54 AM
Okay, so maybe I have an advantage where I can throw my iPaq into my jacket when I travel, or that I don't get the dorky bulge in my dockers or dress pants pockets.

I realize it's a risk issue which I have come to terms with. If it breaks, it breaks. So far, I've never dropped a PDA or cracked a screen (knock on wood). But the PDA experience has been great- the excellent tactile feel of the iPaq as it was designed for, the fabulous looks of the unit unspoiled by a case, which is more noticed by people around you. The crisp sound of the alarm from reminders, unmuffled by a case. It sounds like I've gone off the deep end but can anybody relate to this?

On the side topic of screen protectors, I use WriteRights which initially have bubbles upon application. But they disappear after a day or two. After damaging the screen on my Sharp ExpertPad and original Palm Pilot graffiti screen with normal stylus usage, I a firm believer of using screen protectors.

vincentsiaw
01-30-2003, 05:27 AM

it explain why my girlfriend carry a huge hanbag wherever she goes, and sometimes i got to hold it! the good thing is that i can put some of my stuff in her bag instead putting it in my pocket, like earphone, cf sleeve etc... :oops:

JvanEkris
01-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Well, that handbag is a dangerous thing for PDA's. My girlfriend has a Jornada 545 (steel cover), if you see how dented that thing is, man i thought i was a abuser of equipment, but she is worse. I gets squashed in that bag by keys and things. It really hurts to see a PDA like that.

Jaap

AndrewLubinus89
01-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Well after 6 years of several iterations of Newton, Palm, and WinCE machines, I have lots of cases which were bought initially with good intent (expensive device = better protect it). It's just recently I realized that they all just get in the way of the "PDA"experience.

IMHO.

Yeah, I had a newton. With something that big and bulky you don't need a case because it has such thick make anyways :D My little brother broke the screen even so :(

gareth
01-31-2003, 02:12 PM
I suppose the size is one of the prices you pay for the facilities.

I carry my XDA around "naked" in a suit jacket - and athough the XDA is safe, I've managed to tear a hole in one of my pockets with the aerial.

But then I think paying the occasional repair bill is better than having it in the standard case and clipped to my belt - I'd probably forget to take it off when I sit down and crush it to a pulp!

And before you ask - no I don't wear a suit at the weekend - the XDA stays at home and I take a sensibly-sized phone out instead!

Weyoun6
02-01-2003, 03:20 AM
I prefer the case since it lets me get rid of my wallet, which equals less bulk over all. I prefer a bulky pda to a broken one every day.

BTW- bubbles on your screen protector only occur in the adhesive style protectors. Theres a new kind that hook under the edges of your screen and they dont get bubbles. the tradeoff is that you have to install them in a clean room, otherwise you get dust.