View Full Version : Cheap 56k Modem

axim400
01-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Hey im going to travel and I need a cheap 56k modem to use. Any Suggestions?

spursdude
01-31-2003, 06:35 AM
This isn't very cheap at $80, but this CF modem (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293045&pfp=SEARCH) has been on sale at CompUSA before...if I remember correctly, I've seen this go for as low as $30 at CompUSA. Keep your eyes open, perhaps...

bmhome1
01-31-2003, 10:20 AM
CF modems are usually always listed on ebay new for around $40.

Munyama
02-01-2003, 03:01 AM
Assuming I can find an affordable CF modem, what software do I need to access the Internet? Can I only access POP mail? What about webmail?
Thanks for your help.

spursdude
02-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Assuming I can find an affordable CF modem, what software do I need to access the Internet? Can I only access POP mail? What about webmail?
Thanks for your help.

You already have the software needed to browse the internet - Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE). This is like your normal web browser. You can access your POP mail with your Inbox program (also on your PPC), and you can check webmail through PIE.

Munyama
02-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks - but what about a dial up program?

WindWalker
02-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks - but what about a dial up program?

It's built in to PPC.....you won't anything more than what you have.

shawnc
02-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Thanks for your help.

You already have the software needed to browse the internet - Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE). This is like your normal web browser. You can access your POP mail with your Inbox program (also on your PPC), and you can check webmail through PIE.

Silly question but here goes. Do I understand this to mean that if I purchase a CF Card/Modem for about $50, and I already have internet at home (cable access via adelphia), that I can WIRELESSLY access the Internet without paying extra for an ISP? Or without the need for additional software?

If so, this is HUGE. I could sell my Treo 300, save $10 on my cellphone bill, and get even MORE use out of my Dell :D :D :D !

spursdude
02-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Silly question but here goes. Do I understand this to mean that if I purchase a CF Card/Modem for about $50, and I already have internet at home (cable access via adelphia), that I can WIRELESSLY access the Internet without paying extra for an ISP? Or without the need for additional software?

If so, this is HUGE. I could sell my Treo 300, save $10 on my cellphone bill, and get even MORE use out of my Dell :D :D :D !

Haha, sorry to raise your hopes. I've been talking about wired CF modems - the type where you plug one end of a phone cord into the modem, one end of the phone cord into the wall. Then you dial-up to get online.

These cards aren't wireless, and they can't connect to your cable internet. If you have a dial-up provider like Earthlink, then you can plug in to the wall, dial-up your number, and then get online.

You could get a WiFi card for your PPC, which can get online through a wireless network, but you can only get online if there's an access point nearby - not anywhere.

You are right about one thing, though - if you can get an internet connection, then you don't need any additional software to do what you need to do.

shawnc
02-02-2003, 03:45 AM

Haha, sorry to raise your hopes. I've been talking about wired CF modems - the type where you plug one end of a phone cord into the modem, one end of the phone cord into the wall. Then you dial-up to get online.

These cards aren't wireless, and they can't connect to your cable internet. If you have a dial-up provider like Earthlink, then you can plug in to the wall, dial-up your number, and then get online.

You could get a WiFi card for your PPC, which can get online through a wireless network, but you can only get online if there's an access point nearby - not anywhere.

You are right about one thing, though - if you can get an internet connection, then you don't need any additional software to do what you need to do.

spursdude,

You had me pretty excited for a moment :D ! Oh well, it was worth a shot!

Thanx,