View Full Version : EB Cases h1910 mini-review

mcdj
01-28-2003, 05:15 AM
A quick question for HPaq HQ: how come a $50 HP scientific calculator comes with a nice little wallet case and a $300 h1910 comes in a Glad bag? It's not even a Zip Loc. Thanks.

The world of fitted leather cases for the h1910 is not a vast one.

A few weeks ago when it popped up on the EB site, their 1910 case was the first major alternative to the $50+ Vaja. Others companies have been trickling them out, but mostly in different form factors.

From day one, the EB case was "backordered". Hmm, does that mean see how many orders you get before you make any, then hurry up and make enough to fill the orders? While I don't know what EB's quality is like otherwise, as this is my first case from them, I'd have to say that from the looks of it, either EB ain't all that, or they hurried to get these cases out.

The good...

Slim profile
Magentic closure = sweet and positive
Slightly puffy top feels swell, gives good screen protection

The bad...

There's good leather, there's ok leather, and there's bad leather. The leather EB used for the 1910 is just plain old mediocre. It's basic boring dull black leather. The leather quality is a notch or so above the house brand generic PDA case found at your local Best Circuit USA. Even in the basic dull black category, there's better leather being used by other companies making cases in the same price range.

Holding the EB case in your hands is about as exciting as holding 2 free passes to All You Can Eat Ice. That's unfortunate because the form of the case is basically well designed. Nicer leather would make it sing. It's a shame too because well done leather doesn't have to be expensive, as I have seen first hand in the Clie 760 case from Sony Japan, and in the Vaja iPod case ($35).

Nicer leather would also probably fit better. Or maybe the cutter had a bad day. All I know it, the tolerances on the case I received were pretty wide. The notch at the top doesn't really line up over the power button. The sides are kinda loose. The strip of leather that runs across the top of the front of the unit bows out at the slightest touch.

Overall, quality control seems a bit lax and production seems a bit rushed.
Little clues include; the raw lopsided-X-acto-blade-cut hole for the sync port; those annoying spikey melted thread ends (hey is that a band?); the lip of the flip top that's oh so shy of a perfect meeting at the end of the case; the scratch it had before I even got it out of the package, the sound of glue crackling as I slid an SD card in the one of the slots...

Does this case suck? No, it almost sucks, but it could be great. To me, it's a $25 case that happens to sell for $40. Many folks will like it just fine.
It's a decent mashed potatoes sort of case. Had I know it was quite so bland, I would probably have opted for the Vaja flavor.

-Rob

MPSmith
01-28-2003, 05:28 AM
Wow. That's quite a first post!

:grab:

i_spock
02-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Yea I would have to say nice post also! PPCT, sign this guy up! I like his reviewing style...

I am awaiting my E&B 1910 case also, ordered it on the 15th. I had an E&B case for my iPAQ 3650, and I thought the same thing when I got it... the leather was kind of cheap feeling. I personally didn't like the puffiness of the front cover either. But, it's a whole lot cheaper than the vaja case, it will protect the 1910, and it does have the magnetic closure which vaja isn't offereing yet.

i_spock
02-07-2003, 02:31 AM
My case arrived today via fedex. I paid for standard (5 day) shipping and I know my case was shipped out on the 4th, so they must have shipped it with 2-day service. I had placed my order on the 15th, so I wonder if they upgraded the shipping to make up for the length of time it was on backorder?

Anyway, I was a little skeptical about the quality of the case because of mcdj's review, but once I opened the package and put my 1910 inside I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this case is. It's definitely a whole lot nicer than their case for the 3650 w/expansion pack.

The case fits fine, I would say the leather is of good quality, and the sync port cutout is smooth. The magnetic closure works great.

One thing that I didn't expect was that along the bottom of the unit, the part directly under the buttons and d-pad is beveled downward a bit to the inside edge, which gives your fingers a place to grip or rest when pressing the buttons. This makes for a really sturdy and comfortable grip when gaming. Probably my favorite part of the case!

There's no cutout for the headphone jack though, but I suppose I could do that myself easily enough.

I will definitely keep this case and would recommend it to others.