View Full Version : Just how long does it take to get an X5 from the manufacturer?

Keith
01-28-2003, 05:05 AM
I am eagerly awaiting a new Axim that I ordered on Jan. 12. Based on others' experience in making a purchase through Dell, does it really take a full month before I get it?

WindWalker
01-28-2003, 05:09 AM
I am eagerly awaiting a new Axim that I ordered on Jan. 12. Based on others' experience in making a purchase through Dell, does it really take a full month before I get it?

Dell ran out.

The demand for the Axim was way above what they thought it would be, and now they are pushing to get more in stock. They do not manufacture the Axim themselves, so it isn't just a matter of ramping up their production. They are trying to get them out of the door, but they simply were overwhelmed by the demand. Mine won't arrive until sometime mid-February, after having been ordered January 17th. now, this doesn't mean that if they get a big shipment of them between now and then, they won't fill the order sooner than that, but that's the situation.

Pat Logsdon
01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Did you order any accessories with your Axim? I ordered the folding keyboard with mine, and it took about 3 weeks longer to get to me than it should have.

Dell has the annoying policy of "bundling" orders. That means that if even one part of your bundle is out of stock, they won't ship until EVERYTHING is in stock. So your Axim could be sitting on a shelf somewhere while they scramble around trying to find leather cases.

Seems kinda dumb to me - a bottleneck in on part's supply ends up being a bottleneck for the whole thing. Spread your inefficiency around! Fun for the whole family! :roll:

slothdog
01-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Not necessarily true. I ordered a 300MHz Axim, leather case, screen protectors, and extra stylii as one order on 1/16. The Axim is still in production, but my accessories showed up on my doorstep this morning. I never talked to tell or told them to split the orders or anything.

Cary
01-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Did you order any accessories with your Axim? I ordered the folding keyboard with mine, and it took about 3 weeks longer to get to me than it should have.

Dell has the annoying policy of "bundling" orders. That means that if even one part of your bundle is out of stock, they won't ship until EVERYTHING is in stock. So your Axim could be sitting on a shelf somewhere while they scramble around trying to find leather cases.

Seems kinda dumb to me - a bottleneck in on part's supply ends up being a bottleneck for the whole thing. Spread your inefficiency around! Fun for the whole family! :roll:

I ordered my Axim in November (first batch) with screenprotectors. The Axim came a week before my screen protectors did.

Pat Logsdon
01-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Not necessarily true. I ordered a 300MHz Axim, leather case, screen protectors, and extra stylii as one order on 1/16. The Axim is still in production, but my accessories showed up on my doorstep this morning. I never talked to tell or told them to split the orders or anything.
That's very interesting, and good to hear! Maybe they got sick of hearing about the issue over Christmas and decided to change their policy.

Personally, I was told by no less than 5 Dell associates that they couldn't split an order. That was AFTER the 5 who told me they could. :)

Hope you enjoy your Axim!

Stealthboy
01-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Same here. I ordered an Axim with an extra AC adapter by phone on 1/16. I received the AC Adapter on 1/17 and, according to the Dell order status, the Axim won't ship until 2/7. They shipped the AC Adapter next day air via Airborne Express!

Here's the other strange part... I was told on the phone that my total would be $328 before the $50 rebate. That's $349 for the 400Mhz Axim plus $19 for the extra AC Adapter minus the $40 savings for orders over $300 plus free shipping. My credit card has already been charged $16.93 (~11% off?) on 1/16 for the AC Adapter. How much is Dell going to charge me for the Axim? :?