View Full Version : Pocket Acid renamed to Pocket Jam

Jason Dunn
01-28-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/index.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/index.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Remember our post <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7326">last week about this</a> application? Well, it's been renamed to Pocket Jam (good move guys!) and is now officially out on the market. I listened to <a href="http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/mp3demos/index.htm">one of the demo tracks</a> created with Pocket Jam, and I'm really impressed - I think it's still too complex for someone like me, but if <a href="http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/manual/synth_matrix.htm">something like this</a> makes sense to you, brother, this is your program.

Ben909
01-28-2003, 12:06 AM
This program rocks! If you've ever used with ReBirth on the PC you'll know what to expect, and you'll know how to use it straight away. Get a decent pair of headphones connected, and you should be very pleased :D It would be particularly good (but probably not possible?) if this program could receive midi instructions and be used as part of a wider set of instruments. Nevertheless, if you like acid/trance music this is all you need.

ricksfiona
01-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Truly innovative software.

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 01:02 AM
I have Jaytrax (http://www.klaar.com/), which is available for the PC as well (it's free, but I don't think it's as easy to use as the PPC version... But the PC version is a little bit more flexible when it comes to making patterns and sub-song data and patterns and importing midi files...). I really like Jaytrax. It can basically do all that Pocket Jam can, and more. PocketJam only has like two synth channels and one drum channel, where as Jaytrax (PPC) can do up to 6 channels of anything. Jaytrax for the PC can do a lot more than 6 channels (at least 16, that I remember). You can define a whole lot of things for the instruments, too. You can use wav samples (sometimes I even use my Pocket PC's microphone to sample sounds!), FM-wave synthesis, analog-type effects, or whatever. There are a ton of things you can do, like changing the BPM or pitch or a ton of different aspects about the instrument at any point in a pattern by assigning special properties to a certain moment. Jaytrax is much more flexible, but its interface isn't quite as pretty as PocketJam's is. I quite like Jaytrax, I have made a few songs already. Jaytrax used to be a Jaytown app, but has changed hands to a company called Klaar. Either way, the PC-version of Jaytrax is free and also lets you save to wave. [/url]

ipaq38vette
01-28-2003, 01:02 AM
When are we going to see something like cakewalk for the pocket pc released? I would like at least something like one of those portable guitar recorders with a built in amp and drum set. Those cost $400 at Guitar Center. Why couldn't I just do that on my PPC?

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 01:06 AM
The interface in the PC version of Jaytrax is kind of confusing. And the interface for the PPC version does require some getting used to, but you can always check out the demo version. The PC version includes pre-definded instruments and patterns and songs, some of which are quite good and unique. Check it out.

PocketJam does look very clean, though. It's always good to see competition! I hope that PocketJam eventually exceeds Jaytrax in features. I hope that Klaar then wakes up and works on Jaytrax a little more, too.

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 01:12 AM
You can't do that because PPC OEMs are too stupid to spend the five cents it would cost to put in an audio-in jack in PPCs! It's quite frustrating, really. As far as I know, there's still no CF card accessories that have stereo audio-inputs either. I thought about this a long time ago and wished so badly that someone would make either a PPC or an accessory that has multiple-inputs available (or at least one stereo input!).

I know that the iPAQ 36xx's sound chip has full support for stereo-input sound, but there's no audio-in jack! You could probably easily enough install a mono-input jack by using the wires from the microphone. I have thought about doing this for a long time to my iPAQ (which is still currently taken apart), but I have never gotten around to it. I should do it one of these days... Hey, I have two other PPCs (an e115 and an e740), so why not?

ipaq38vette
01-28-2003, 01:41 AM
I have also thought about the possibiliy of adding a mic-in via CF card, and found it possible by buying a 128mb or 256mb CF-USB card and then buying a usb microphone. But then there is the question of will the PPC OS recognize the USB mic as an input. I'm also assuming that there will have to be drivers for the mic. The h545x has mic input via headphone jack but I won't spend $700 on that.

PapaSmurfDan
01-28-2003, 04:29 AM
At first glance the program seemed promising, having a rebirth clone for the PPC could be useful. After playing with it for 15 mintues, I am not impressed at all. The drum kit could be MUCH better, or they could at least allow for sample loading to replace thier kit. However, after playing with it for a bit, I was able to get sounds I liked out of it, however, the 303's do not go low enough for my taste.

What really killed it for me was, I tried to whip up a somewhat complex song that used a good amount of drums, and the program had issues keeping up on a 400mhz Dell (or maybe I need to soft reset to make it happy). A lack of midi file save is a huge issue, becuase what if you actully want to something you whipped up on this with a real synth? I will try playing with this next time I am trying to kill time. However, this is a good first attempt. Maybe when they have a slightly more expanded sound base than the X0X's, I will give it a closer look as a tool.

However I have a few thoughts on making the PPC a more viable music tool. First, the tracker/sequecers should be designed for quick entry of notes/effects. PocketJam's sequencer was great on this aspect. Second, unless some form of making the PPC having either more inputs or outputs (such as a bluetooth midi controler, or getting usb mics to work), any tool should be used for hammering out ideas on the top of your head instead of trying to be used live. Third, and most importantly IMO, is have a FREE program to playback the files created by the program both on the PPC and a PC. The ideal situation is, I get an idea while waiting between classes, open up the program, select an samples/insturments I want out of the library, track/sequence down something, and once finished send off to friend or two to get feedback. If someone knows of a good mod tracker for the PPC, please shout it out (If the interface is good, it will meet all of the above).

The PPC has the capability to become a kickass tool in many areas, lets hope it can become a kickass music tool. Now only if I could get my dream PPC (128mb ram, 4gb built in microdrive, CF and SD, intergrated WiFI and BT, HeadSet in, and a 4" 320x480 24bit Transflective LCD. Hey we can all dream.)

-Dan.

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 06:20 AM
The trial version of Jaytrax for PPC is just save-disabled. You can open songs, instruments, or patterns, no problem. And the PC version of Jaytrax is completely free. I am assuming that you are talking about PocketJam. Try Jaytrax (http://www.klaar.com/). It'll probably suit you, PapaSmurfDan. It is definitely more flexible in every way. I had really no problems playing really complex songs on my old iPAQ. In fact, if I used the lower quality (22KHz mono), nothing could choke my e115, even if it used all sorts of effects and all 6 channels. Try Jaytrax. It's better, I think. Also, Jaytrax has better sound quality (44KHz stereo) than PocketJam.

steham
01-28-2003, 05:24 PM
I downloaded :arrow: PocketJam (http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/index.htm) and decided to buy it after playing with it all night. It cost me $19.95 to register and my key arrived immediately.

This program is awesome, it's a giant leap forward in audio application design for the PocketPC! The application feels like a real peice of hardware due to the superslick professional user interface. It has a really solid quality feel to it!

I think it's much better than Jaytrax, yes Jaytrax may have a higher sample rate, but the user interface doesn't exactly immerse you into the creative process in the same way that PocketJam (http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketjam/index.htm) does.

Well done SiliconMachines (http://www.siliconmachines.com) for raising the bar for PPC apps! It's about time!!!

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 05:35 PM
That is true. PocketJam's interface is easier to use than Jaytrax. Jaytrax is limitless, though. For the casual user, PocketJam is likely a better option. Try both, though, before you buy either.

sponge
01-28-2003, 06:30 PM
I've tried PocketJam and Jaytrax, and thought Jaytrax was awful compared to this, but I'm not exactly a big tracker either. Jaytrax was just too hard to get something to sound "right" to me. They're both still great programs, though I'd prefer PocketJam by a longshot, and if you listen to the demo MP3s, you can get some pretty good sounding stuff out of there, just try the demos. (by the way, it seems a bit unclear from this thread, the PC version of Jaytrax is free, the PPC is not)

Mexico
01-28-2003, 09:39 PM
MIDI out, MIDI out, my kingdom for a MIDI OUT! :cry:

Just got a Roland Fantom for this Thursday's gig (some of you may remember the whole opening for Phil Vassar concert deal; if you don't, then ignore me) and I'd love to connect that thing to my Pocket PC and trigger sequences. Yes, the Fantom has a built-in sequencer, BUT I WANT TO USE MY POCKET PC!!! Why? JUST BECAUSE!!! If somebody comes up with a MIDI Out interface, I'll give them one of my kidneys.

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 10:27 PM
There is a program out there. For sure. I can't remember where or what it's called, but I know that you can get an adapter for some PPC's little interface thing that makes it into a MIDI connector.

Nice sig, Mexico! LOL!

Robotbeat
01-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Jaytrax for PPC is easier to use than the PC version, I think. But, as you said, the learning curve for Jaytrax is pretty steep. I had plenty of time, so I learned with the demo version then got the full version. If you like synths and stuff, Jaytrax is better. If you just want to dink around, you can get PocketJam. Once you learn how to define instruments and stuff, Jaytrax is pretty superior. The song editing stuff with the patterns has some getting used to as well, but it makes it easier in the long run, I think.

Mexico
01-28-2003, 11:13 PM
There is a program out there. For sure. I can't remember where or what it's called, but I know that you can get an adapter for some PPC's little interface thing that makes it into a MIDI connector.

Does anybody know where to find this or the name of it? I googled it but found nothing. :(

brntcrsp
01-29-2003, 07:40 PM
There has been an update to the release v. 1.02.

I can't say how pleased I am with this product. As a relative newcomer to this sort of thing it provides me with just flexibility to learn and experiment. I'm sure as I grow with this product additional features will be nice, but for starting out this product is perfect.

DutchRhino
02-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi Robotbeat,

Thanks for the nice things you said about Jaytrax.

I can tell you about about the story behind Jaytrax and why it is what it is at the moment.

Jaytrax (pc version) was made when I didn't know that much about windows programming. The sound engine was based on a music program called mugician which I made for the Amiga. The idea about the program was to be able to make music with a small memory footprint, and which wouldn't take much processortime to play. That way I could easily incorporate the music in my games.

On the PC, Jaytrax was anything but a hit. The ugly interface made a lot of people stop fiddling with it and not even giving it a try. Furthermore, on the PC every month you have faster processors and more memory, so both concerns about speed and memory where not important to the masses.

then came the pocketpc where processor speed and memory usage IS important. Furthermore, There was nothing out there with which you could make a decent tune when being in the train or wherever.
So in a matter of 2 or 3 months I ported Jaytrax to the PPC, bashed together an interface and released it.

As with all my projects... I start of doing something in no time at all...and then when everyone is screaming for updates or alterations or whatever then I'm usually doing another project which I am into at that time.

Basically.. I have 2 plans for jaytrax:
first I am going to make a better interface for the PPC version. I have made a small library with which making graphical interface elements like knobs and dials and sliders is no problem. So I think it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. Furthermore am I contemplating of rebuilding the entire engine and making it into a VST plugin for cubase and the likes. But that of course has not much to do with PocketPC :wink:

Then again I should also finish porting a platform game I made for the PC to PPC. It is already running and looking great but it only needs a settings screen. Hahaha if I could only clone myself... :)

Anyway, again thank you for the nice post about the program. It seemed to me you are like one of those people who can see through an ugly user interface and judge it more for what the program is all about.

Reinier