View Full Version : Which memory type is best for X5?

PromoGuy
01-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I know I will want more memory for the X5 when it (hopefully) arrives next month. How much more I'm not sure, but before I invest, I wanted to get some suggestions.

I get the impression the SD slot is the ideal way to store files and programs, and the CF slot would be best used for add-ons like wireless connections and cameras and such. I know I'd like a camera add-on at some point.

Is this the best way to go? Are most people using CF for add-ons and SD for storage? Does it matter?

What's in YOUR Axim?

mirkazemisaman
01-27-2003, 10:49 PM
I know I will want more memory for the X5 when it (hopefully) arrives next month. How much more I'm not sure, but before I invest, I wanted to get some suggestions.

I get the impression the SD slot is the ideal way to store files and programs, and the CF slot would be best used for add-ons like wireless connections and cameras and such. I know I'd like a camera add-on at some point.

Is this the best way to go? Are most people using CF for add-ons and SD for storage? Does it matter?

What's in YOUR Axim?

well it does actually matter since the SD slot of the Axim is not SDIO. So if you want more memory AND an add on at the same time, then you HAVE TO buy SD crads for memory expansion.

Now don't yell back at me, i do know that other options exist, (some adapters perhaps) but this is the most convenient.

Jason Dunn
01-27-2003, 11:24 PM
There's no perfect solution - it really depends on what YOUR needs are. ie: do you have a digital camera that uses SD memory? Then get a CF card for memory and leave the SD slot open. I have a 256 MB SD card that I store programs on and I keep the CF slot open for whatever comes my way. :wink:

guinness
01-28-2003, 02:36 AM
I use the SD slot for memory and I'm leaving the CF slot open for WiFi or Bluetooth, if all you need is RAM, I'd get CF as it's cheaper than SD.

TheBacklash
01-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Yes use the SD card for your main storage. CF card for wi-fi etc.

But.... Didn't the CES show just announce that all X-Scale CPU's had SDIO built into the chip? so all X-Scale CPU'swith SD were in fact SDIO capable? :?: Just waiting for something like a software update to "turn" it on...

I remember the discussion here a few weeks ago, just can't remember what the overall end answer was...

grohl
01-28-2003, 06:00 PM
This is from earlier in the month:

"SanDisk Corporation today introduced their SanDisk Connect line of wireless Wi-Fi cards, the world's first card products to include both memory and wireless communications technology. The product line includes four products: dual-function 128MB CompactFlash ($130 SRP) and 256MB SDIO ($150 SRP) cards and single-function CF and SDIO cards with Wi-Fi connectivity ($100 SRP). The SDIO cards will work in PocketPC and PalmOS 4.x and higher devices. SanDisk plans to add 256MB CF cards to the Connect product line by the middle of 2003.

"The CF Wi-Fi card is available now, the CF dual-function card and the SD Wi-Fi card will be available in March, and the SD dual-function card is expected to ship at mid-year. The CF pricing includes a PC card adapter for notebook and laptop owners. "

Obviously the SDIO are not an option for the Axim, but CF + memory is pretty darn cool...

TheBacklash
01-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Obviously the SDIO are not an option for the Axim, but CF + memory is pretty darn cool...

This is the article I was thinking of...

1bit SDIO built in to all Xscale CPU's (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7348&highlight=sdio+xscale)

mirkazemisaman
01-29-2003, 11:44 AM

1bit SDIO built in to all Xscale CPU's (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7348&highlight=sdio+xscale)

My guess is that prabobly getting SDIO in Xscale CPUs is a little more complicated than just writing a software and making it work, other wise with all the new Xscale devices someone would have developed that patch etc. by now!

WindWalker
01-29-2003, 03:24 PM

My guess is that prabobly getting SDIO in Xscale CPUs is a little more complicated than just writing a software and making it work, other wise with all the new Xscale devices someone would have developed that patch etc. by now!

There was an article over at Brighthand discussing this very thing...
http://www.brighthand.com/article/SDIO_Everywhere

As you said Backlash, it isn't that simple. The data path that is in the non SDIO enabled devices may not be wide enough to allow the I/O functions to workl.

mirkazemisaman
01-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Thanx for the link to the article Windwalker! Interesting, I wonder when that "research" of theirs on the wire connectivity of devices such as Axim is going to be done.

Roosterman
01-30-2003, 03:18 AM
I have a memory card for both. When I want to use the wireless, I just pop the cf memory out and slide the wireless card in. It all depends on what your needs are.