View Full Version : Happy with your e740?

pkbdeb
01-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I am considering buying an e740. However, reading about the problem with hard resets due to the battery running low quickly makes me a bit apprehensive :? Since there is no backup battery it seems like this could really be a problem. So, I want to ask all of you out there who are happy with your e740 how you deal with this problem? Is it a problem? Do constantly keep it in the cradle? Can you bring it home from the office over the weekend without a charger?

Thanks for your help! I would really like to buy one....

sgyee
01-26-2003, 11:02 PM
I am considering buying an e740. However, reading about the problem with hard resets due to the battery running low quickly makes me a bit apprehensive :? Since there is no backup battery it seems like this could really be a problem. So, I want to ask all of you out there who are happy with your e740 how you deal with this problem? Is it a problem? Do constantly keep it in the cradle? Can you bring it home from the office over the weekend without a charger?

I've been perfectly happy with my e740. I purchased mine as soon as it came out, and it's been my primary brain supplement since I've owned it....

The lack of backup battery in my case isn't a concern to me. I do religious backups every week, and the data that I keep in there isn't dynamic enough to force me to do backups more often then that. Since I've owned my e740, I have never, ever depleted the battery down to where I've lost the data....and I've used it quite a bit.

I do have both the standard and extended battery, and I primarily use the extended battery, keeping the standard one for emergency use.

Mainly, I set my power off times very aggressively. I've done that with both my iPAQ's and my e740, and I've never lost data due to power failure.

I would recommend at least a home charger. They are quite inexpensive and reasonable, given the fact that you can use any charger that also accomodates the iPAQ 3600 series as well. With the Lithium-Ion battery structure, it is best if you never deep discharge it, since doing so will shorten the overall lifetime of the battery.

If you want to minimize your investment, I can recommend purchasing a refurbished unit from eCost.com. (http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?action=detail&dpno=763198#scroll). You can get one as low as $355 USD. This will allow you to be able to purchase many accessories for it (like the extended battery, cases, etc) and not pay $499 (after rebate) for it.

I can definitely say that I am very happy with my e740. I highly recommend it as a good XScale based Pocket PC with built in WiFi and dual slots.

johncj
01-26-2003, 11:03 PM
I've been very happy with my e740. The only problem I've had was accidentally moving the battery latch down which caused the entire contents of RAM to be lost. I've been careful not to do that again. The record button is in a terrible place, but I've just remapped the button to do nothing. You should definitely compare with the high-end Dell. If you don't need built-in Wifi and don't mind the slightly larger size, it's a very good machine. One of my buddy's has the Dell and if I was buying today, it would be a close call.

ThomasC22
01-26-2003, 11:06 PM

Well, I had two problems that led to me getting rid of it:

1 - The screen, IMHO, was just aweful.

2 - With WiFi on, the battery drained VERY quickly.

Other than that, I had no other problems with it. I found it to have pretty good battery life with WiFi off though.

67stang
01-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Have had zero problems with my e740 (knock on wood.)
The battery running down problem is a potential threat to any ppc. if its a concern get the belkin car charger adapter ($10) so you can charge it while driving, and/or get the larger toshiba battery or a spare.

beckp
01-27-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm happy with mine so far, not using wireless so my battery usage is based with it off. Typically I use it Mon-Fri and then it's in my briefcase until Monday morning so I did a test this weekend. I shut off Friday 5:00pm, used it once or twice real quick over the weekend and this morning the battery was still at 85%. I bought the Belkin USB/Charger combo cable ($19) and worth every penny. Much more portable and works fine while I'm at work or "Moble" plus it comes with the Car adaptor as well.

Anjuan Simmons
01-31-2003, 03:18 PM
I purchased mine about four months ago, and I have been relatively happy. The best thing about this PDA is the dual slots (CF and SD). The wireless is nice, but, as you've already heard, it does drain the battery quickly. I think the latest HP is superior (although you have to buy a bulky sleeve to get a CF slot) in terms of screen resolution, bluetooth and WiFi integration, remote control capablity, and biometric security. If those are key features, than I would go with HP. If not, then the e740 is a good buy. A cheaper option without losing a lot of functionality would be the Axim line from Dell.

rundcm
01-31-2003, 03:58 PM
This is my first PDA. I've had for month now, barely scratched surface of what it can do. I did do some reserch after I got it (gift) & I would say do same, compare with others. For the $$ it cost. (350) after rebate, this pda offers alot. So far it does the basics fine. All the wireless capabilities and software is a bit overwhelming to me right now, + No PDA experience anyway, I intend to keep reading,watching and asking hopefully i can give better feedback as others have who have reviewed the pda. As far as battery life I did what others have stated in this thread, get the belkin car charger, Its cheap & handy[/quote]

ExtremeSIMS
01-31-2003, 06:43 PM
I've had quite a few PDAs, and the Toshiba is one of the best. True, the screen is not one of the newest Transreflective ones, but it's more than passable. The form factor, integrated WiFi, and dual slots are what sold me.

Tierran
01-31-2003, 06:48 PM
I love mine. I've had it for 2 weeks. The battery issue has been solved by Toshiba (though there is another one now...but it doesn't cause the battery to discharge). Battery life is great. ThomasC22, no offense, but you're nuts if you think it was just aweful. ;) The new iPaqs have nicer screens to be sure...but I think the e740 has a really awesome screen with out a doubt...and this is after setting my next to a iPaq 1910.

I wrote a review actually here (http://www.pdaavenue.com/forum/showthread.php?s=17fc6c227b2bf477fc7b3f2d21b2423d&threadid=1910) if here if you'd like a detailed account of all the good and bad ;) But the long and short of it, in my mind, is Wi-Fi = awesome and if you buy an extra battery, you won't need to worry about the shortened battery life.

GadgetDave
02-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Love it.
Love it.

I do drool over the new transflective screens, but the screen is good, except in bright direct sunlight. Never had any problems in the office or anything like that.

Even with WiFi on, the extended battery does well. Might be the biggest battery you can get for a PPC (3000 mAH)? Not sure about the HP 54xx series ...

spursdude
02-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Even with WiFi on, the extended battery does well. Might be the biggest battery you can get for a PPC (3000 mAH)? Not sure about the HP 54xx series ...

The Axim has an extended battery, with 3400mah (I think)...

pkbdeb
02-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input! :D It has really helped me in deciding to get an e740!!!

One question: What does "IMHO" stand for ?

Well, I had two problems that led to me getting rid of it:

1 - The screen, IMHO, was just aweful.

2 - With WiFi on, the battery drained VERY quickly.

Other than that, I had no other problems with it. I found it to have pretty good battery life with WiFi off though.

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
One question: What does "IMHO" stand for ?

In My Humble Opinion... :wink:

Steve

pkbdeb
02-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks Steve!!!! Happy to learn something new today!

dotcomguy
02-01-2003, 09:03 PM
I have had mine for a few days and I love it! Also, after my previous PDA (Palm IIIxe) it is a HUGE improvement. :D It has a great sleek design, a great looking screen, plenty of features, et cetera. I am very pleased with this investment. :)