View Full Version : infoSync Goes World Wide

Jason Dunn
01-26-2003, 12:51 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/</a><br /><br /></div>infoSync has been one of the top mobility sites on the Web for the past couple of years (how long have they been around for anyway?), and I've always considered their design and writing something to strive for. But they've had a hard to remember domain - infosync.no. I remember urging Jorgen to get a "real" domain last year at Mobius 2002 Europe, and it looks like he finally followed my advice. :wink: infosyncworld.com is much easier to remember, and I'm sure it will bring infoSync to an even wider audience.<br /><br />Be sure to have your pop-up blockers active though - every page I went to dished up a pop-up or pop-under window. :? Advertising times are rough all over, so remember: when you see a banner, help the site out by clicking on it. Most advertisers don't understand the importance of branding and instead are fixated on click-through rates. But I digress...go visit infoSync World!

rommels
01-26-2003, 01:06 AM
InfoSync is really a great site ...and I go to that site every week, but someone from the W3 Consortiums has to outlaw these pop up banners.

mememe
01-26-2003, 01:40 AM
Be sure to have your pop-up blockers active though - every page I went to dished up a pop-up or pop-under window. :? Advertising times are rough all over, so remember: when you see a banner, help the site out by clicking on it. Most advertisers don't understand the importance of branding and instead are fixated on click-through rates. But I digress...go visit infoSync World!

Sure is a great site, visit it a little more than I visit this one .. About those popups, if you have Safari running (on OSX) this isnt an issue.. :lol:

rommels
01-26-2003, 01:48 AM
Work around on the pop up banners. Continue to use www.infosync.no.
I tried it, and no pop ups appeared.

heov
01-26-2003, 02:58 AM
i just went there and there were no popups (the .com domain)...

serpico
01-26-2003, 07:33 AM
I use Safari on OSX and of course no pop ads. This is one thing I love about surfing no pop ups! Infosync has been a favorite of mine for a very long time, I love their site and high quality pictures. The new revised pocketpc thoughts site has a great look too and I come here more often now.

Jason Dunn
01-26-2003, 07:53 AM
About those popups, if you have Safari running (on OSX) this isnt an issue.. :lol:

It's not an issue with me running Avant Browser, or any of the dozens of pop-up blockers on the PC either. Pop-up blocking isn't some magical Mac pixie dust.... :roll:

TopDog
01-26-2003, 12:09 PM
As a Norwegian I love Infosync, and I don't understand how a longer domain-name makes it easier to remember!?

BTW; I can't relate to the pop-ups... There almost no pop-ups there as I can see??? But I have bookmarked the norwegian domain (.no), so maybe it's only on the .com domain that the pop-ups work?

Steven Cedrone
01-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Using a machine with no pop-up blocker...

Went to the site, navigated around, read some stories, not one pop-up or pop-under...

Maybe they had a change of mind and decided against the ads???

Steve

Mike Temporale
01-26-2003, 03:31 PM
I had zero popups. I clicked on a whole bunch of stories, and surfed around for a fair bit of time.

If you find you're getting a lot of pop-ups, check your machine for that Gator software, or just get ad-aware and make sure there isn't anything hiding on your machine.

Mike Wagstaff
01-26-2003, 04:21 PM
No pop-ups for me, either. I wonder if they decided to move their pop-up content onto the bottom of the front page, where I saw a pop-up sized GotoMyPC ad.

Incidentally, if seeing ads annoys you, check out:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

You don't need to install any software to stop seeing the major ones - all it takes is a little editing of your hosts file. The Pocket PC Thoughts ads remain in place, of course. :)

Jason Dunn
01-26-2003, 05:44 PM
As a Norwegian I love Infosync, and I don't understand how a longer domain-name makes it easier to remember!?

As a Norwegian, .no domains are probably common to use - but they're not to the rest of the world. :wink: .com domains are an assumption - I'm willing to bet that the domain squatter who has infosync.com gets quite a bit of traffic to his site from people looking for infosync.no. :D

Jason Dunn
01-26-2003, 05:48 PM
No pop-ups for me, either. I wonder if they decided to move their pop-up content onto the bottom of the front page, where I saw a pop-up sized GotoMyPC ad.

Incidentally, if seeing ads annoys you, check out:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

You don't need to install any software to stop seeing the major ones - all it takes is a little editing of your hosts file. The Pocket PC Thoughts ads remain in place, of course. :)

Yeah, but this solution would probably kill ads from Tribal Fusion, which takes money directly out of my pocket. Not cool at all - I have bills to pay, and I'm trying to show respect for my readers by not using pop-up/pop-unders, and in return I'd hope you'd all show me the respect of at least letting the normal banner ads load. :D

The guy who wrote this is a communist who thinks it's ok to deprive Web site owners of advertising support because he "doesn't like to see blinking ads". :onfire:

Jason Dunn
01-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Jorgen, if you're reading this, I'm sorry this turned into a rant about ads instead of people talking about your site - I should have know better. :oops: :wink:

Mike Wagstaff
01-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Oops. Sorry, I forgot the Tribal Fusion ads - although you'll be pleased to hear that I do see them (e.g. I see a Crucial memory ad right now). And yes, I do see your point about depriving website owners of advertising support. :oops:

Steven Cedrone
01-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Lets get back on topic. If you want to continue the discussion about pop-ups/unders, please start an off topic discussion about it (or better yet, do a search and add to the discussions going on about them already)...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Foo Fighter
01-26-2003, 09:32 PM
...if you have Safari running (on OSX) this isnt an issue.. :lol:

No, but speed sure is. IE6/WinXP still runs circles around my G4 iMac running Safari/Jaguar. :?

Steven Cedrone
01-26-2003, 09:35 PM
...if you have Safari running (on OSX) this isnt an issue.. :lol:

No, but speed sure is. IE6/WinXP still runs circles around my G4 iMac running Safari/Jaguar. :?

And this has what to do with InfoSync???

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

ThomasC22
01-26-2003, 10:43 PM

And this has what to do with InfoSync???

Well, all fairness, speed is a pretty big concern when talking about what is probably the #1 source for High Resolution pictures of PDA/Mobile Phones.

It's funny, I was reading their article about the new HTC Canary and was completely disappointed by the lack of a high res. photo :cry:

ThomasC22
01-26-2003, 11:03 PM
And that makes it Off-Topic...

Yes, but see, I was light heartedly straying the conversation back on topic, which incidentally is not something I'm exactly known for...I thought you'd be proud :cry: :lol:

Abba Zabba
01-27-2003, 11:31 AM
This discussion turned into pop-up blah blah blah. I thought we we're suppose to be discussing Infosync :roll:

I go to this site atleast 4 times a week to see the latest in all the information in which Jorgen and the staff at Infosync provides. :lol: I'm glad to see that they changed their domain name to .com since like some said most people automatically go for .com not .no.

Steven Cedrone
01-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator