View Full Version : Paper organizers/binders with room for a PDA

Kati Compton
01-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Okay - for some things I just like paper--flame all you want, but it's just the way I am. I'm looking to get a half-size organizer/binder (holds 5.5"x8.5" sheets) that has a spot to put a PDA as well.

Basically, I want paper note-taking ability, along with a place to put folded sheets of paper (schedules & such). Preferably not *too* think - maybe 1" binder rings in it.

Does anyone have one they like? Or know of one that might be good? I've seen some that have nice leather PDA holders built-in, but those tend to be for Palms. I'm not completely opposed to Velcro, but I would strongly prefer to not resort to that. Franklin-Covey has a neat binder that uses a "universal clip", but only for a full-size binder. I prefer the half-sheet size, as it is more comfortable for me to work with when I don't have a desk on me.

I've also seen PDA holders that have holes in them for attaching to a 3 or 6 ring binder. Has anyone here tried those? It seems that they too are geared towards Palms....

Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

Janak Parekh
01-24-2003, 07:34 AM
I know this is not particularly helpful, but as a last resort, on the Axim, you can velcro onto the battery. In the worst case, if the velcro's not removable, the battery is. :)

--janak

Kati Compton
01-24-2003, 07:42 AM
I know this is not particularly helpful, but as a last resort, on the Axim, you can velcro onto the battery. In the worst case, if the velcro's not removable, the battery is. :)

Actually, that's a very good idea if I have to use Velcro.

Kati Compton
01-28-2003, 11:08 PM
In case anyone else was wondering: I did find something from DayTimer (http://www.daytimer.com/content/shopall/shopall_more_info.asp?solution_nmbr=43971). List price is $70, but for some reason at Office Max it was going for $30. Overall a good deal.

The elastic at the top of the PDA holder blocked the Axim's screen slightly, but what I did was to cut it slightly at the edges, and essentially fold the elastic in half (ie, upwards) to make it half as narrow. Then I sewed it so it wouldn't unravel and would stay folded. By halfing the height of the elastic, it now fits the screen of the Axim exactly, which is nice.

Oh, and you can use the jog-stick through the elastic on the sides without a problem.

Best part - no velcro required. There's a nearly identical version that does require velcro. I did NOT choose that one.

ntractv
01-28-2003, 11:35 PM
I am the same way. Check out Franklin Covey. They have a few selections. I bought one that holds my iPAQ, cellur phone, plus holders for pictures, CD's, floppy disks (although extra, $3-$5). However, their binders can be a little pricey. Mines was over $200, but, then again I did get the one that held 8"X11 sheets.

Kati Compton
01-29-2003, 12:56 AM
When I saw the DayTimer one at Office Max, I was able to try it out with the PDA to make sure it fit (or fit with alterations). With the Franklin Covey ones, they're rather expensive, plus for the size I wanted (the half-sheet variety), I'd have to use velcro.