View Full Version : Overclock Axim???

Catfish2939
01-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Notice several software programs where you can increase or decrease the speed of your xscale processor through software. "Hack Master"

Question.

The ipaq1910, Dell Axim X5, all advertise the Intel Xscale processor APX250, Along with may others.

The ipaq runs at 200MHZ and the Axims have two models of 300 and 400MHZ

If you installed this software could you get 472 MHZ from these slower machines? If you installed this software to the 300 mhz Axim would you need to be carefull not to overclock them too fast? "472 mhz"

It seems like it would be silly for compaq and Dell to simply underclock these machines for no-other reason other than to sell the faster models for more money,

But, they do all say they have the same processor. Is there really any difference beside bus speed??

Thanks

guinness
01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Intel and AMD kind of do the same thing when fabricating desktop processors, they test a batch of chips at a certain speed, those that pass are given the tested clock rating and the ones that fail are given a lower rating. Intel probably does the same thing with the XScale, some can run reliably at 400 MHz, others at 300 and 200. Or it could be that most 200 MHz chips can run well at 300, making it easier for HP for example to come out with a new 19xx-series with a faster cpu and more features.

Catfish2939
01-24-2003, 04:05 AM
What would happen if you did overclock the processor to the point where your device would not boot?

Would a hard reset place everything back at default?

guinness
01-24-2003, 04:52 AM
I did try out the xcpuscaler and it does say that I have overclocked my Axim to 472 MHz, but I haven't run VOBemchmark yet to see if there are any improvements between 472 and 400. When I first set the processor to 472, it froze and I had to do a soft reset, but since then it's been fine.

TheBacklash
01-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Is there any other settings beyond 400-472? Is that the next step? or is there something in between, like 450mhz?

cruelcamper
01-25-2003, 05:07 AM
You can "overclock" it to 996mhz on the 400, but it definetely wont work, i havent tried it but I wont push my luck. THere is nothing in between its 400 or 472.

Guinness: are u shure u overclocked it to 472? BEcause I cant set the clock to any amount, even if I clock at lower speeds it freezes up and a soft reset brings it back to normal.

TheBacklash
01-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Guinness: are u shure u overclocked it to 472? BEcause I cant set the clock to any amount, even if I clock at lower speeds it freezes up and a soft reset brings it back to normal.

As with all overclocking.... YMMV
Not everyone will be able to overclock, some will have better luck than others.

When I first overclocked my old Celeron 333, I believe the upper end was around 575ish Mhz (Been awhile, I forget...?) Yet I was only able to get a stable speed of around 450. anything above that, and it would not run... Yet I had the exact same setup, right down to the exact name and "batch" ram and CPU.

I always hesitate on overclocking now... Even though I have never burned a CPU or anything else, My friend did... (side note, my celeron 333 is still in use today after all these years on a test machine of mine. Overclocking didn't kill it like the naysayers preached it would)

If there was a 450 or another setting below 472 I would probably try it on the dell, but the all or nothing 472mhz turns me off of overclocking it... for now.

guinness
01-25-2003, 07:23 PM
You can "overclock" it to 996mhz on the 400, but it definetely wont work, i havent tried it but I wont push my luck. THere is nothing in between its 400 or 472.

Yeah, I was able to overclock, I had to do a soft reset after words, and it's worked fine after that. I ran VoBenchmark, the only stats I really looked at where the integer and floating point.

@ 472 MHz, the FPU was 12.63 and the Integer was 26.87
@ 400 MHz, the FPU was 12.62 and the Integer was 26.91

Whoopdy doo, basically no difference; they must be a software bottleneck or something, I would expect some noticeable difference, but alas.

Roosterman
01-26-2003, 05:01 AM
@ 472 MHz, the FPU was 12.63 and the Integer was 26.87
@ 400 MHz, the FPU was 12.62 and the Integer was 26.91

Whoopdy doo, basically no difference; they must be a software bottleneck or something, I would expect some noticeable difference, but alas.
As I understand the clock speed makes little difference because the bus speed is only 100 MHz. Overclocking will only make the processor faster but it will have no effect on the bus. That would seem to bare out by the test results.