View Full Version : Can't map a drive!

RayScraps
01-22-2003, 11:57 PM
:x

I can't map a drive on my PPC to a share on my pc for the life of me! OK here's some info:

PC= wired XP box named "Ray" with a file share called "toppc" that has share permissions of everyone:Full control. File system permissions are Adminstrators:full control and everyone:read.

PPC= Axim with 802.11b installed. Named "RaysPPC" as a device ID.

I get an IP fine with the PPC. Can browse the internet, do all kinds of neat stuff. Can't map a drive though. I have Resco's file explorer as well as PocketLAN. When either of them scans the network, they find my PC. However, when I click on the PC to expand it to show the shares, the twirling balloon comes up for about 2 minutes and then times out. If I try to map a drive directly to \\ray\toppc it times out. If I try to map the drive using the admin account and credentials on my pc, it times out. However, I enabled the default web site on my PC and I *CAN* use PocketIE to view the inetpub directory on my PC. So the network connection is fine.. However, transferring files via PocketIE downloads is hideously slow and inefficient - for a 5 meg file it took about 4 minutes. So I'm back to trying to map the drive. Some Michigan State intern must have wrote that code (I went to Michigan :)).

I also have the Computer Browser service started on my PC. No DNS server or WINS server on the home network though. Any ideas on why it won't go the final step?

Ray

Playa
06-10-2003, 01:29 PM
i'm having the same problem. resco explorer shows me the desktop computers in the network but i cannot access them.
i have internet connection through the router though and the pda's ip is also shown in the routers dhcp menu.
can anybody help? i have an ipaq5450.

thx!

playa

Playa
06-10-2003, 04:28 PM
update:

i was able to ping my ipaq5450 from my desktop pc but i don't have any networking experience. how am i able to add my pkpc to my home network so i can also grant him access to it?

i'm grateful for any help !

thanks,

playa

Playa
06-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Doesn't anyone know how to map a drive on a Pocket PC to access the desktop PC?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dennis