View Full Version : Random User Survey #8

Jason Dunn
01-22-2003, 05:29 PM
A potential advertiser asked me a question today that I didn't know the answer to - how many of you are corporate users vs. individual users? It's a very basic question that I'm surprised I forgot. I hope this question is straight forward enough to avoid upsetting anyone. :wink: As always, your response is anonymous and not correlated with your profile in any way. Thanks for your participation!

Foo Fighter
01-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Where did you find this poll? The bottom of a bottle of beer?

That's where some of my best ideas come from! :drinking: :lol:

johncj
01-22-2003, 05:49 PM
I'll be very suprised if you get very many work only responses.

icatar
01-22-2003, 06:02 PM
The next logical follow-up question is what percentage is used for work and for home?

Foo Fighter
01-22-2003, 06:13 PM
The next logical follow-up question is what percentage is used for work and for home?

That would make a nice follow-up poll. *hint* * hint* :wink:

pocketpcdude1024
01-22-2003, 06:24 PM

That would make a nice follow-up poll. *hint* * hint* :wink:

Hints don't get any more obvious than that! :wink:

Wouldn't this be Random User Survey #8? I think that it should be so-called because of the possible advertising targeting factor of the first seven.

DrtyBlvd
01-22-2003, 06:37 PM
As long as the post doesn't relate to Geography, we should be OK. :lol:

Jason Dunn
01-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Any suggestions on how we can do that given the limitation we have of only being able to do multiple-choice questions? I don't want to have 100 different choices.... ;-)

I've also updated the title to "Random User Survey #8" as suggested.

DrtyBlvd
01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Well, I see what you mean.... as I use mine for 64.375% home and [insert balance here] for work.....
:rofl:

PeterLake
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
I imagine that those who use PocketPC's only for work don't read PocketPC websites and would never even see a poll like this.

rlobrecht
01-22-2003, 07:06 PM

Any suggestions on how we can do that given the limitation we have of only being able to do multiple-choice questions? I don't want to have 100 different choices.... ;-)

I've also updated the title to "Random User Survey #8" as suggested.

You could do 10 choices
10/90
20/80
30/70
40/60

We're all smart people, we can estimate.

Jason Dunn
01-22-2003, 07:07 PM
I imagine that those who use PocketPC's only for work don't read PocketPC websites and would never even see a poll like this.

Oh, you'd be surprised what my log files tell me - significant amount of visitors from Microsoft and other big companies.

spursdude
01-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Ah, Jason, you've forgotten the students!

Iznot Gold
01-22-2003, 07:46 PM
I probably use mine approx 70% for work & 30% personal. But how many of us using them primarily for work, like me, had to buy them ourselves? i.e personally purchased for work use.

Regards

David

pocketpcdude1024
01-22-2003, 07:52 PM
I hate to nitpick here, but I don't think that potential advertisers would be pleased with a "bottom of a bottle of beer" option. The previous random user surveys didn't have a "throwaway" option. Then again, it would probably be against every rule in the book to eliminate an option in a demographic poll.

Jason Dunn
01-22-2003, 08:35 PM

Wouldn't that count as personal information? :D

Jason Dunn
01-22-2003, 08:37 PM
I hate to nitpick here, but I don't think that potential advertisers would be pleased with a "bottom of a bottle of beer" option. The previous random user surveys didn't have a "throwaway" option. Then again, it would probably be against every rule in the book to eliminate an option in a demographic poll.

All of our surveys now include a "throw away" option for the people who:

a) feel we didn't pick the right questions
b) want to see the answers without voting
c) want to be "funny"

Either way, it's easy for us to discard that % as "invalid". Advertisers will only be presented the valid results of course. :wink:

Kati Compton
01-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Do you not count "school" as "work"?

Canuck
01-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Along a similar line Ed, the question I would really like to see is 'Who pays for your Pocket PC?'

a. 100% out of my own pocket
b. company provides the unit
c. expense it but through my own business
d. out of my pocket but able to expense certain software or accessories

The way some readers seem to go through models and accessories I wonder. Doubly so for the xda users and the monthly data charges (min. $50 per month here in Canada).

brianchris
01-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Along a similar line Ed, the question I would really like to see is 'Who pays for your Pocket PC?'

a. 100% out of my own pocket
b. company provides the unit
c. expense it but through my own business
d. out of my pocket but able to expense certain software or accessories

The way some readers seem to go through models and accessories I wonder. Doubly so for the xda users and the monthly data charges (min. $50 per month here in Canada).

I second this.....(darnit, I was just about to suggest this myself, but Canuck beet me to it :wink: ) You could get a reasonable amount of the data you're looking for by asking who bought the PDA that someone is using. If it is purchased by a company, it (should be) used for more work purposes than personal, and vice versa.

-Brian

Janak Parekh
01-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Do you not count "school" as "work"?
Maybe it takes until a couple years into graduate school to feel like work. :lol:

Seriously, the choice you forgot to put in, Jason, is "everything". ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
01-23-2003, 01:13 AM
[quote=kati42]
Maybe it takes until a couple years into graduate school to feel like work. :lol:

Is that the point at which I started to feel like screaming when people would say things like "So, does it feel good to be on winter/summer/spring break?"

I'm not sure how many times I've had to explain that breaks no longer have meaning for graduate students.

I think that as a professor I will still have to explain it.

Not nearly as fun as explaining that not only do I no longer have to pay to go to school, I actually get paid (a small amount). :)

kellys26
01-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Do any of you have concerns with syncing your personal items with your company's Exchange server? I work at home 2 days a week (heavenly!), and I use my home computer to access the network.
I really don't want my tv programs, kids school stuff, hobby to-do's, etc. showing up on the company calendar!
For now, I have Outlook set up for both Exchange settings and personal settings. I turn off sync when I'm on the Exchange server, and only sync to the personal server.
But, I haven't quite gotten the hang of it. Sometimes when I put the PPC in the cradle, it tells me it can't access my network (because I'm not connected). I am somehow ending up with alot of duplicate entries on the PPC, because I have a feeling that sometimes I'm syncing with the exchange and sometimes the personal.
Very challenging! I set all non-work items to personal, just in case they show up on the server. I would hate for my calendar to show 'go shopping' on a day that I call in sick (just kidding, but I don't want my boss / co-workers that aware of my personal life!
KellyS

Janak Parekh
01-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Is that the point at which I started to feel like screaming when people would say things like "So, does it feel good to be on winter/summer/spring break?"
Yes. I've trained people not to ask me that anymore. I've also trained people not to ask me "so, you don't take any classes. What exactly do you do?" ;)

I think that as a professor I will still have to explain it.
No, because people will be afraid to ask you, or they'll already know. :)

Do any of you have concerns with syncing your personal items with your company's Exchange server?
Not in my case, because my friend is the sysadmin and he hasn't opened up the calendars. In fact, it's good in my case because people can see only my free/busy data, which makes it easier for me - they can ask without asking. :) Do people open up calendars at your place of work?

--janak