View Full Version : Newbie needs help setting up a new 3635!

waynef
01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
I am a newbie who just bought his first PDA. It is an ipaq 3635 with 32 meg RAM and 16 meg ROM. I picked it up new on Ebay for $195. Being a newbie :oops: I wanted something at the lower end that would be functional and expandable. I can be a real space cadet at times and need something to help keep me organized.

At this point in time, I need something to maintain contacts, phone #s, appointments, notes and to do word processing and spreadsheet calculations. I haven't given much thought yet to music, games, etc. but I do want to do as much with it as possible (without overloading it).

I haven't received it yet, but, I need to know what firmware/software I need to upgrade before I start using it heavily. I also don't know anything about compactflash memory and need to know what and how much to buy. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations pertaining to add-ons and accessories. I will especially need a convienient and easy to use case (hard?, soft?, style?, etc.) that I can hang on my belt that will hopefully keep me from losing it the first week I have it!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Wayne :arrow:

vincentsiaw
01-20-2003, 07:12 PM
a good hard case, if you gonna fully used it or(abuse it), a ss2 or other compactflash sleeve and definateli a good screen protector, so far if you only want to maintain contacs, or email, use the original ppc 2002 softare is more than enough !! njoy your ipaq man! :D

waynef
01-20-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm fairly sure it comes with a sleeve. I just don't know what to put in it. :confused totally:

vincentsiaw
01-21-2003, 02:24 AM
if your house have a wi-fi network, buy a wi-fi card, if you got a bluetooth enabled cellphone, buy a bluetooth card!, or if you like to watch movie or listen to mp3, buy a big capacity compactflash memory then :wink:

ctmagnus
01-21-2003, 06:49 AM
if your house have a wi-fi network, buy a wi-fi card, if you got a bluetooth enabled cellphone, buy a bluetooth card!, or if you like to watch movie or listen to mp3, buy a big capacity compactflash memory then :wink:

For these, you'll neead a CF or PC Card expansion pack, or better yet, an Expansion Pack +. The latter come with an integrated screen protector (protects against getting scratched in a bag, eg., not scratches from the stylus) and removable batteries. If you're gonna be real hardcore, get one from the plus line because of the extra batteries.

ctmagnus
01-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Get some screen protectors too. Like these (http://www.ppctechs.com) or these (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063KEB/102-5796297-0254559?vi=glance) (but get the iPaq version) or these (http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=222,1,105&pCat=227), in my order of preference.

waynef
01-21-2003, 05:29 PM
These or these or these????????? Huh?

And what's a Wi-Fi?

Janak Parekh
01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
These or these or these????????? Huh?
I think all three of those are links... :)

And what's a Wi-Fi?
They're referring to wireless networking, otherwise known as WLAN or 802.11b. It's a popular trend amongst handheld devices today. See this link (http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/why_Wi-Fi.asp?TID=2).

--janak

waynef
01-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Opps! I couldn't see the color difference on the screen that would indicate a link! The blue is too dark! Thanks for the info!

Another question... Is compactflash memory used only to store data or can the device use it as RAM? I'm asking because the 3635 has only 32 meg built in.

ctmagnus
01-21-2003, 10:58 PM
You can install apps to removable storage also. Just select to not install to the default location when you're installing from the desktop end. You should be forewarned, however, that not all apps play that nicely when they're installed to removable storage as opposed to the default location.

spursdude
01-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Opps! I couldn't see the color difference on the screen that would indicate a link! The blue is too dark! Thanks for the info!

Another question... Is compactflash memory used only to store data or can the device use it as RAM? I'm asking because the 3635 has only 32 meg built in.

CF would be used for storage alone. It's tough, but you can get by with 32MB internal RAM (like I do).

ctmagnus
01-22-2003, 06:52 AM
This should have been in my previous post but CF storage is very similar to RAM, except it's non-volatile. If you do a hard reset, anything stored in RAM is gone; anything on the card is still there.