View Full Version : PocketPlus?? Where are the updates

goirish!!
01-20-2003, 05:09 PM
I have emailed the developer of PocketPlus a couple of times asking about the approx. release date for their next version. They had promised patches for battery, memory, and back light settings, as well as other functions such as Repeating Alarms for Tasks, and the ability to have folders that contain short cuts to several programs available on the today screen (ie Scott Launch).

Well, it's been three weeks with no reply, and nothing new at their site. There was so much buzz around this program when it first came out I'd hate to think that it was all for nothing.

As a matter of fact origionally I was told that an update would be out 2 wks after the first release (Dec 17) I wanted to wait to purchase to see the improvements but the trial ran out and I bought it thinking something was around the corner.

Anyone heard anything??????? :?: :?:

bgate
01-21-2003, 04:14 AM
I am in the same boat. I contacted them recently and the response was that they were waiting for their Axim to show up. Once it showed, they would be updating the software. It is frustrating though. I am half tempted to go to Handango and ask for my money back...

goirish!!
01-21-2003, 05:16 AM
I am in the same boat. I contacted them recently and the response was that they were waiting for their Axim to show up. Once it showed, they would be updating the software. It is frustrating though. I am half tempted to go to Handango and ask for my money back...

Funny, I got the EXACT same email several weeks ago. 8O

I too am considering gettting my money back for the simple fact they will not respond to email. It concerns me.

Kati Compton
01-21-2003, 06:54 AM
Of course, it is possible that they actually ARE waiting for an Axim... There's a big backorder & shipping delay.

Janak Parekh
01-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Moreover, most of spb is based in Germany & Russia. It wouldn't surprise me that, since the Axim's not official in either of these countries yet (I believe), that international orders would be lowest on the totem-pole.

--janak

goirish!!
01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Moreover, most of spb is based in Germany & Russia. It wouldn't surprise me that, since the Axim's not official in either of these countries yet (I believe), that international orders would be lowest on the totem-pole.

--janak

I can appreciate the fact that they might not have an Axim yet, or that they are busy working on the next release, but no matter where they are located or what they are doing common courtesy is the same all over the world. When asked a question it is nice to give some sort of answer.

PI is the best example of consumer, developer interaction. This is ONE of the things that has made it the best software on the market. Many people could learn from this approach.
:wink:

Janak Parekh
01-21-2003, 05:10 PM
PI is the best example of consumer, developer interaction. This is ONE of the things that has made it the best software on the market. Many people could learn from this approach.
True, Alex's responsiveness is fantastic. It's extraordinarily rare, though, and it's really, really hard to do when you get 1,000 emails a day.

Besides, I'm sure Jason's reading these threads, so your words aren't unnoticed. 8)

--janak

goirish!!
01-21-2003, 05:21 PM
True, Alex's responsiveness is fantastic. It's extraordinarily rare, though, and it's really, really hard to do when you get 1,000 emails a day.

Besides, I'm sure Jason's reading these threads, so your words aren't unnoticed. 8)

--janak

Let's hope so, I really like the program just wish it completelyworked!! I have defended it and made several posts touting it's usefulness on other boards, now I find that I'm the one wondering if it will live up to my expectations.

Kati Compton
01-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Plus, if it's the exact same answer that they were going to have to give you, no reason why they shouldn't send the exact same email...

goirish!!
01-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Plus, if it's the exact same answer that they were going to have to give you, no reason why they shouldn't send the exact same email...

You're right........something is better than nothing.

jwf
01-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Interesting that Pocket Plus is showing as updated on PocketGear on the 16th of January, even though it's still only the 1.1 release. It was previously showing as updated on 1st of January. Anyone else find this practice annoying? Why don't they do something to stop it? It's a waste of time, if something really hasn't been updated!

John

Andy Whiteford
01-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, what changes would you like to see in Pocket Plus??

My list:

A Today screen plug in for Calendar similar to Calendar Plus so you can easily what's coming up but each entry on a single line i.e. date, time and heading on the same line.

Add storage card panel to the Today plug in.

Make Battery panel display % left, not time.

Enable the program launcher bar to scroll similar to Battery Pack so you only need one line.

Add alarm and time to tasks for quick reminders instead of using calendar.

Maybe more. Just started using it but the rest seems good.

goirish!!
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, what changes would you like to see in Pocket Plus??

My list:

A Today screen plug in for Calendar similar to Calendar Plus so you can easily what's coming up but each entry on a single line i.e. date, time and heading on the same line.

Add storage card panel to the Today plug in.

Make Battery panel display % left, not time.

Enable the program launcher bar to scroll similar to Battery Pack so you only need one line.

Add alarm and time to tasks for quick reminders instead of using calendar.

Maybe more. Just started using it but the rest seems good.

These are the items I was told were on the way:

1 - Folder Icon in the Launcher - (Scott Launch has this - you can place several program short cuts in a folder and have that pop up to choose programs from)

2 - All Meters would redirect you to the correct path on the PDA - brightness, memory, battery - now some work seom don't

3 - Repeating alarms for Tasks

4 - Memory meter for CF/SD cards

I think that was all.

goirish!!
01-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Still Waiting!! :evil:

Janak Parekh
01-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Goirish,

Have you sent mail to Jason at his SPB address ([email protected])? Might be worth a shot. (My guess is as good as yours, in other words. ;))

--janak

goirish!!
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Goirish,

Have you sent mail to Jason at his SPB address ([email protected])? Might be worth a shot. (My guess is as good as yours, in other words. ;))

--janak

Yes, I had sent two already which I didn't get a response on either. I was just hoping that someone might have some inside information.

smittyofdhs
01-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Goirish,

--janak

Yes, I had sent two already which I didn't get a response on either. I was just hoping that someone might have some inside information.

Jason is our inside connection to SPB... :cry:

goirish!!
02-03-2003, 05:34 PM
:evil: Still Waiting!!

Jason Dunn
02-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Ok, I'm putting on my Spb hat now... 8)

First up, Pocket Plus 1.2 is coming very soon. I don't know why you haven't been getting email responses, but I apologize for that - you're completely correct, whoever you contacted at Spb should have responded with something, even if it was "We're working on the new version of Pocket Plus but can't tell you any more than that."

I don't know what email address you were using goirish, but I haven't received any email messages from anyone asking about Pocket Plus - zero. I respond to 100% of my email messages. We've had a few issues with our Web and email servers in the past month, so it's possible your email is lost someplace...but I can assure you that I don't ignore email, even if I can't answer the question someone is asking me.

Everyone needs to understand that companies need to be careful about giving out too much information in advance - especially saying things like "it will be out in two weeks", then new features get added and all of a sudden two weeks becomes four. It's never the intention of any company to decieve it's customers, but this ugly thing called "reality" steps in and applications don't get released exactly as planned. :wink:

Now as it relates to the Dell Axim, this is a tough one for any software company - there's no standardized way that all companies use to control the backlight. Every OEM does it differently, which puts the software companies like Spb in the awkward position of trying to figure it out on their own - which is very difficult when the hardware isn't available in the country where the developers live (which is the case with Spb). What we SHOULD have done is said up front that some of the functions don't work on the Axim, and that until we can get a hold of the hardware, we couldn't update the app.

Sincerely,

Jason Dunn
VP Marketing
Spb Software House

PS - If you want proof that 1.2 is coming, check this out. (http://www.foxpop.ndirect.co.uk/PocketPC/pocket-plus.htm)

goirish!!
02-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok, I'm putting on my Spb hat now... 8)

First up, Pocket Plus 1.2 is coming very soon. I don't know why you haven't been getting email responses, but I apologize for that - you're completely correct, whoever you contacted at Spb should have responded with something, even if it was "We're working on the new version of Pocket Plus but can't tell you any more than that."

I don't know what email address you were using goirish, but I haven't received any email messages from anyone asking about Pocket Plus - zero. I respond to 100% of my email messages. We've had a few issues with our Web and email servers in the past month, so it's possible your email is lost someplace...but I can assure you that I don't ignore email, even if I can't answer the question someone is asking me.

Everyone needs to understand that companies need to be careful about giving out too much information in advance - especially saying things like "it will be out in two weeks", then new features get added and all of a sudden two weeks becomes four. It's never the intention of any company to decieve it's customers, but this ugly thing called "reality" steps in and applications don't get released exactly as planned. :wink:

Now as it relates to the Dell Axim, this is a tough one for any software company - there's no standardized way that all companies use to control the backlight. Every OEM does it differently, which puts the software companies like Spb in the awkward position of trying to figure it out on their own - which is very difficult when the hardware isn't available in the country where the developers live (which is the case with Spb). What we SHOULD have done is said up front that some of the functions don't work on the Axim, and that until we can get a hold of the hardware, we couldn't update the app.

Sincerely,

Jason Dunn
VP Marketing
Spb Software House

PS - If you want proof that 1.2 is coming, check this out. (http://www.foxpop.ndirect.co.uk/PocketPC/pocket-plus.htm)

Just can't make some people happy.........now that you have responded and we see the upcoming changes I CAN"T WAIT!!
:rock on dude!:

Seriously I appreciate you following up on this and hope to see this new version soooooonnnnnnn!!