View Full Version : WinCE & Win PPC 2002??? whats the difference?

Catfish2939
01-20-2003, 04:08 AM
I have been a Visor Platnum user for about a year now. I have just ordered a new Axim x5. My question is, what is the difference between the OS on the Axim and WindowsCE?

Will software designed to run on WindowsCE work on PPC2002?

Looking at software most of it is rated for a particular version on WinCE.
This will be my first attempt with a pocket PC. I love my visor, it will have to work good to replace my palm os 5.1

Thanks in advance

guinness
01-20-2003, 04:32 AM
Windows CE 3.0 and PPC 2002 are basically the same thing (PPC 2002 is CE 3.0 with a slight window dressing). Also, any software written for ARM-processors (like the iPaq) should work with the Dell.

Brad Adrian
01-20-2003, 04:58 AM
Technically, all of the Pocket PCs developed so far use the WinCE 3.0 operating system. Pocket PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002 are the two user interfaces that sit on top of the WinCE OS.

The earlier devices developed for Pocket PC 2000 have various processor types, so users had to make sure they bought software compiled for their specific processor. However, Pocket PC 2002 devices have standardized on the same kind of processor, so any applications labeled as "Pocket PC 2002," "StrongARM processor" or compatible with the iPAQ should work on your Axim.

I know on this site we're all a *little" biased toward the Pocket PC, but if you have ANY questions, just let us know. I'm sure you'll feel the move to the Axim was an excellent choice.

Catfish2939
01-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the info and help.

Will devices designed for the ipaq, CP devices such as modems, ethernet cards, disk storage, etc. also work with the Amix?

I am sure lots of my questions will be answered when my Axim comes in. I could only afford the 300 mhz model. I hope it will work well. I am not really into playing high res games. I am going to use it for work, but it would be cool to use it for power point presentations and such.

My laptop is about to die on me and it is too old to have repaired. Thinkpad 600. I am hoping the Axim can take its place.

Have a good one.

Robert

spursdude
01-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info and help.

Will devices designed for the ipaq, CP devices such as modems, ethernet cards, disk storage, etc. also work with the Amix?

I am sure lots of my questions will be answered when my Axim comes in. I could only afford the 300 mhz model. I hope it will work well. I am not really into playing high res games. I am going to use it for work, but it would be cool to use it for power point presentations and such.

My laptop is about to die on me and it is too old to have repaired. Thinkpad 600. I am hoping the Axim can take its place.

Have a good one.

Robert

Devices made exclusively for the iPaq, like sleeves and such, will not work with your Axim. Accessories made for a CF (compact flash) slot should work for an Axim. If it's CF, it will most likely work on an Axim. CF and SD storage cards should work in any device.

As for replacing the laptop, the Axim will be able to take over certain functions. However, you should know that you will need a PC to sync to if you want to access the real power of your Axim - either a laptop or PC.