View Full Version : Replacement Headache

Computer Ninja
01-18-2003, 08:56 PM
This is a letter I posted on Dell's Service Status forum.

I recently called Dell (01/08/03) for a replacement Axim X5. I am one of those people with a flaky, loose d-pad. Why couldn't Dell follow suit and make a nice, stiff d-pad?

Anyway, after a few days, I received my replacement. However, I didn't get a return label or instructions on how to send back the old Axim X5.

No worries, that's what 3 dropped calls and 2.5 hours worth of being on the phone with Dell can solve.

However, after Dell promised me that Airborne Express would be over between 9-10AM yesterday, and Airborne Express didn't show up, I pretty much lost all faith in Dell in terms of a customer service oriented company.

When I called Airborne Express, they never even heard of the address they were supposed to come to, in other words, Dell never set it up. So, I called Dell again yesterday, and after another 1.5 hours on the phone, and 2 callbacks from Diana at Dell, we arranged that Airborne Express would call me on January 20 (don't they have that day off?) and arrange to pick up the device.

This morning, my mohter-in-law came over with two envelopes from Airborne Express. Apparently, Dell doesn't have all their ducks in a row, and they still have the address the unit was shipped to on file, even though we've gone over my address and phone number about 6 times in the past week and half. My wife had the unit sent to her parents' house to surprise me for Christmas. I MADE 100% certain that Dell knew this was the case and had them change the address on file.

Dell, during the holidays, was about as smart as a 2 year old boy, as they would send my wife invoices and the such to our home address, thus, spoiling the Christmas surprise. How can Dell, on one hand, mail invoices and similar material to our home address, ship the unit to my wife's parents' address, but then have Airborne Express send the return label(s) to the in-laws? Where is the flaw here? What in God's name do I have to do to have Dell act and do what they need to do to satisfy me, the customer. I'm sure I'm one of 1000s of people out there who have been hold forever, have calls dropped without anyone from Dell calling them back, forcing them to start over, and, most importantly, have an Axim X5 with a loose, flaky directional pad?

To top it all off, the replacement Axim X5 I received the other day is worse than the original one I had. Both of them are hardware revision A04 (I once had to "teach" a Dell technician how to find out what hardware revision his Axim X5 was, isn't that funny? I thought it was sad). When I called on January 8, I had asked if I'd get a new revision, as there is a revision A05 out there, the person on the other end said, "Yes!". They probably said this to get off my back. It worked.

But now, I'm upset with Dell, and upset that I've wasted hours this week and last having to "deal" with this situation. I hope someone at Dell reads this, sees my name, looks up my issues, and sends me ANOTHER replacement, one that is A05 or higher in hardware revision. I can't call again...I can't be on hold forever. I can't spell my name and address out over and over because the person on the other end just completed TOEFL, causing the service call to be 3 times longer than it should be. Okay, maybe that's rude, as I have foreign parents, too. Anyway, I just can't do it.

Somebody, please help me, and help the others out there who are suffering because of Dell's negligence. START INCLUDING THE RETURN LABELS IN THE REPLACEMENTS YOU SEND OUT!!!

Upset, Peter Filias

guinness
01-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Yeah, they did that with mine, but they did remember to send a letter to my Mom about if they didn't get the old one back in 15 days, they'd charge her account. I think they do it on purpose hoping they make extra cash off of people who don't return it in time. Other than that, I've been satisfied with Dell service. I paid to send the replacement back to Dell, but I kept the AC adapter and case as spares (I didn't need the cd as I have Outlook XP).

Also, I don't think the revision numbers really matter that much right now, I have an A04 revision and it works fine. If they get to A10 or something, then they may get a noticable improvement. BTW, does Dell list the differences between revisions? It may just be a crapshoot on units with good d-pads :?

Roosterman
01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am unaware of the version numbers and would apprecitate knowing where you determine this number.

Computer Ninja
01-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am unaware of the version numbers and would apprecitate knowing where you determine this number.

Pull the battery off, it's on the second white sticker on the device itself.

Rirath
01-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Hence the reason I stuck with mine.

Roosterman
01-20-2003, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know if most of the problems with the D pad are in the A04 group? Mine is A03 and seems to work OK.

SomeGuy11
01-20-2003, 06:42 AM
I'm still waiting to receive my replacement unit (flaky D-Pad). It's been 2 weeks now. I'd call Dell's Tech Support again, but I don't know if I have the time/patience to wait. :cry:

BTW: My current X5 is Revision A04. If waiting a bit longer means I get a higher Rev, then I don't really mind...

Kati Compton
01-20-2003, 07:11 AM
I thought it was supposed to be next-day replacement...

AirTimid
01-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I thought it was supposed to be next-day replacement...

LOL. I'm going on 1 month waiting on my replacement. Wouldn't have been much of a problem but I was told i'd receive a replacement on Dec. 30, 2002. Half a dozen calls later and after multiple screwups by Dell, my unit should finally arrive today.

Sunnyone
01-20-2003, 04:24 PM
I had my Axim replaced because of the D-pad issue and I did get my replacement the very next day. Sorry to hear about your long wait :(

Zanne
01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know if most of the problems with the D pad are in the A04 group? Mine is A03 and seems to work OK.

Mine is A02 and it has a marginal D-pad (squishy and unreliable to the right, ok in other directions).

etalianstallion
01-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes, it's SUPPOSED to be a next day replacement, but mine took 4 days. Not bad, but it's certainly not next day.

My original Axim was Rev A04 and the replacement was A04 as well. The D-pad on the replacement is certainly better than on my original, but it's still a little "squishy" for my taste.

SomeGuy11
01-21-2003, 12:06 AM
It's supposed to be 'next day'?

Well, it's been over 2 weeks now, so I guess I'll have to call Dell up and see what's happening...

But it's gonna be annoying. The last time I called, I got redirected, then had to wait for over 1/2 hr. :(

andsoitgoes
01-21-2003, 04:40 AM
Does anyone know if revision A05 is actually ANY better than the previous revisions? I'd rather not go and complain to Dell if there's no difference, it'd just be silly! :)

But if there are issues that seem to be resolved in A05, then I'll be more than happy to yell, scream and kick until they decide to send one out to me (I'm already on my first replacement, and I'd like to not go through any more).

Thanks!

Nick

Computer Ninja
01-21-2003, 06:28 AM
I am absolutely disgusted with Dell's quality of service. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED, I repeat.

To top it off, they had sent 2 different return labels with instructions via Airborne Express to the address the unit was shipped to. However, I had this address changed to my home address. Dell just didn't get it.

andsoitgoes
01-21-2003, 06:39 AM
I am absolutely disgusted with Dell's quality of service. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED, I repeat.

To top it off, they had sent 2 different return labels with instructions via Airborne Express to the address the unit was shipped to. However, I had this address changed to my home address. Dell just didn't get it.

It's not surprising. So far I haven't had TOO many issues with them, first return went through flawlessly, while the second had a major hitch (the service tag wasn't in their systems, and even though this unit was flawed, they couldn't send me out ANOTHER replacement until the service tag got enetered in, this was when I got stuck on 2 hours of hold hell).

But when I was working at my previous company, it was hell. I had a VERY expensive Latitude laptop and we previously had over $20,000 CDN in equipment from them. It took over a MONTH to get a working unit back in. Very upset, and I thought they'd fixed their problems.

I guess not.

I wish you luck with getting through to them, I hope that something changes for you, the letter you wrote was fantastic, maybe someone semi-important will actually read it :)

Take care,

Nick

P.S. - Again, any help discerning the differences in A0x and A05 would be great, thanks!

Nick

Computer Ninja
01-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Not a single sole has actually replied to that letter I wrote. (I wrote it in the forums) It's only been read 30 times, too. I expected more.

Kati Compton
01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Not a single sole has actually replied to that letter I wrote. (I wrote it in the forums) It's only been read 30 times, too. I expected more.

Was it the start of a new thread? When I was reading that forum, it seemed like moderators had a tendency only to respond to new threads (ie, 1 reply per thread tops).