View Full Version : Pocket PCs in Movies

dean_shan
01-18-2003, 08:51 AM
I was watching Big Fat Lair and I noticed that Marty Wolf (Paul Giamatti) used an iPaq. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed Pocket PCs in other movies?

Rirath
01-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, the very mediocre Star Trek: Nemesis. Some nimrod thought it'd be a good idea to make the classical cool Tricorder an Ipaq look-a-like. :lol:

pocketpcdude1024
01-18-2003, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen any in movies, but I did see an episode of Alias where the SD6 people are trapped in their own building and this black guy (I don't know his name, I don't watch the show regularly) used an iPAQ to wirelessly send a distress email. Cool, huh? :D

vincentsiaw
01-18-2003, 04:46 PM
if you see 'the sum of all fear' you will see alot of pocket pc usage !! so try to watch that movie, quite nice though... :lol:

Dave Beauvais
01-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Yeah, the very mediocre Star Trek: Nemesis. Some nimrod thought it'd be a good idea to make the classical cool Tricorder an Ipaq look-a-like. :lol:
Am I the only person who actually liked that film? :)

Anyway, PPCs are showing up more often in movies. There was a Jornada used in one of the recent Bond flicks by Denise Richards' character. Actually, I guess technically that was HP's color Palm-size PC since they weren't called Pocket PCs at that point. iPAQs have been used a few times in Alias. Jennifer Garner's character, Sydney Bristo, used one a couple times to download data from some computer system she broke into as well as Dixon's use of one to send the e-mail as was previously mentioned.

I hope the trend continues because it may inspire more folks to go buy one, or at least encourage them to at least get some more info on them. (Although, admittedly, the things they're used for in movies are currently a little far-fetched.) :)

--Dave

powder2000
01-18-2003, 06:07 PM
They used the jornada 54x model in "trapped" with ashley judd and in the latest "haloween" with busta rhymes. Neither were hooked up or had a visible modem but it was cool anyways. They were using them to send instant messages and email.

Pony99CA
01-18-2003, 07:34 PM
iPAQs have been used a few times in Alias. Jennifer Garner's character, Sydney Bristo, used one a couple times to download data from some computer system she broke into as well as Dixon's use of one to send the e-mail as was previously mentioned.

In an early episode of Alias, Sydney and Dixon were being chased by the villains. There was a bomb in the chest of a VIP, and the villains were using an iPAQ as the remote detonator.

Steve

P.S. I swear that I've seen another thread discussing Pocket PCs in the media. A search of Pocket PC Thoughts didn't turn it up, though, so maybe it was on another site.

TJ
01-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Anyone know which pocket computer (not sure it was a PPC) was used in the first season of "24" by the Jack Bauer character, shown especially well when downloading some coordinates in one of the later episodes?

spursdude
01-18-2003, 09:49 PM
P.S. I swear that I've seen another thread discussing Pocket PCs in the media. A search of Pocket PC Thoughts didn't turn it up, though, so maybe it was on another site.

there have been a couple many months ago, i think. i remember it too. (so you're not going crazy)

Steven Cedrone
01-18-2003, 09:52 PM

there have been a couple many months ago, i think. i remember it too. (so you're not going crazy)

You are not going crazy! The threads are Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2182&start=0), and here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4104&highlight=movies)

Probably some others as well... :wink:

Steve

GoldKey
01-19-2003, 01:56 AM

--Dave

Based on its box office take, quite possibly :!: I hated it the first time I saw it and marginally disliked it the second time. I soooooo wanted it to be great. First Contact is the all time best, of course, I am a little biased.

Rirath
01-19-2003, 05:25 AM

--Dave

Wasn't so bad... but wasn't so good either. Many of the series episodes blow the movie away. If I had it to do over again, it'd just be a rental. :?

Pony99CA
01-19-2003, 06:26 AM
You are not going crazy! The threads are Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2182&start=0), and here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4104&highlight=movies)

Thanks for the links. The question now is, why didn't Search find them? I did a search on "Movies Pocket PC" (finding all words) and got no hits. I did a search on "Movies Pocket PCs" (finding all words) and got a few hits, but not the first link you posted, even though the "Pocket PCs" was in the subject of the first post and "movies" was in the body. :?:

Steve