View Full Version : New pocket PC user asking for much help today!

rundcm
01-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Help me please...

I am clueless about how to use this e-740 which has ver. 3.0 pocket pc operating software. (I rec'd as a gift) with my PC. I am running the $100.00 version of home XP operating system. Does this sync work with outlook express? I thought when I installed the installtion /companion CD software I would get a version of outlook I could sync with. (2002?) or something. Does anyone use outlook express with this pocket pc software?

If I create a document in word or excel on my pc, how do i get it on my PC? I was able to get a doc. from the pocket to the PC but then I could not open it up.

Can I open the "contacts" portion software that is on my pocket pc and populate the data in on my PC keyboard? If so, how?

I have a message from the activesync that states"Items of one or more information types cannot be synchronized, Disconnect and reconnect your Device" I tried that but nothing changed.
(I put this post in the toshiba area already //no responses)..

What steps do i take to get a picture fron my pc to this pocket pc?

ANY input I would be VERY helpful...
I am a VERY new user// sorry for the simple questions D

67stang
01-17-2003, 10:27 PM
i too have an e740, two weeks now.

First of all, are you getting a Sync connection (should be a green icon in the lower right task bar of the DESKTOP) it its grayed out, it means you dont have a connection.

You need to install activesync BEFORE attaching the USB cradle to your desktop. So, install activesync. Then attch the USB cradle WITHOUT the e740. Your XP will see the cradle, and find the appropriate e740 driver. Then you can put the e740 in the cradle, and follow the onscreen Activesync preference steps, and then the green light (sound chime also) will refect a connection.

Now, as far as I know Active Sync only syncs with Outlook, not Express. And Outlook is on the CD that the e740 comes with, and it will install automatically unless you selected not to.

Outlook is pretty good at picking up the same email account options in your Express settings... so when you open Outlook it should attempt to check your emails. It wont automatically move over your inbox and stored emails from Express. You need to figure out how to "import" etc.

Once that is done, every time you put the e740 in the cradle, and get the green conenction symbol, your PPC will sync to your Outlook (email, calander, tasks, contacts) and vice versa.

NOW... syncing files and documents is simply... you open up the active sync application (double click the green icon in the task bar) and click on "Options".. there you will see check boxes for things other than the outlook items i mentioned above (which all sync by defualt.) Here you can select "files" and specify the MyDocuments folder on your desktop as the source of files you want to sync.

You can also use this Settings area to turn off things you dont want synced, etc etc.

rundcm
01-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Are you saying if i cannot get the icon in the lower right side of my desktop to go green, before i put this poc pc in the cradle I wont get a activesynch connection?

I tried doing that and the all i got was a message that no hardware was found. (it showed an image of the pc & a cord trying to find the (poc pc) I guess. I then put the poc in the cradle & the icon said "connected"., "found device".

Its vey confusing- I get a pop-up window that says it is connected on my desktop, but the little icon in lower right says "not connected" so i dont know if this thig is really connected or not.

I can say my outlook express is still the same, (no contacts etc.) no changed took place to it after I loaded the companion cd. Is it supposed to be enhanced when i go into it on my desktop after loading the companion software?

67stang
01-18-2003, 08:34 PM
the icon only turns green when you have the handheld in the cradle. The cradle hooked up to the desktop via USB does not result in a green icon (gray).

The dialog box you get that shows the cord and pc and attempt to connect is completely useles... i dont know what its purpose is, and why Microsoft has it in there... on all my computers it does the same thing... acts like its looking for a "COM port" or USB connection, then times out and says no conenction found. I would simply rely on the icon turning green as a positive indicator.

Outlook Express cannot be used, end of story. Look in your programs for Outlook, as it should have installed automatically off the companion CD. If its not there, reinstall it. It *should* install, and then self configure to your mailboxes.

Chris Pi
01-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Also, something that could help you. Toshiba has a really good free chat based support service on their website. I was having a heck of a time setting up the wifi on my e740 and one of their representatives had my problem solved in 5 minutes.

rundcm
01-19-2003, 03:07 AM
So now, I can sync to outlook with active sync & trusync (verizon phone V60 software.)

BUT now I see outlook cannot be used for sending or receiving e-mail.

I tried the following:
Duplicating all propertys,server&mail settings,(for both emails)
clicked on "make default mail" pop-up boxes
Calling isp (no support for outlook)
Help topics---All to no avail on this
So now I can use Outlook express to send & receive mail, (whenever I make it the default) "but" Outlook is strange-When I make it the default mail and, send a test email to mysef, it ends up in my "inbox" on outlook express Hmmmm, Any ideas??

I want to use outlook for email, contacts synching,poc. pc & phone, etc

a newbie user in the POC world
has gotta start somewhere THANKS

67stang
01-19-2003, 05:07 AM
outlook should work, so long as you mail prefererences are set. it sounds like maybe you have outlook express running in the background or something. Make sure you turn off outlook express, keep it from firing up on startup.